By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What do yo think will be the hardware specifications of PS5 if it arrives arround 2019-2020?

Azzanation said:

Well if they want to keep it at PS4 prices than i see it something like this.

Entry Level Price $399-$499
12TF AMD GPU
16Gigs of GDDR5
8 Core AMD CPU
2TB Harddrive

Premium Price $799-$999
16TF AMD GPU
20Gigs GDDR5
8 Core AMD CPU
2TB SSD Harddrive

With the price hike in PC hardware atm its hard to see next gen consoles being sold at a good price.

Lol no..... consoles wouldn't channel their investment more towards an SSD when making a premium console. The bulk of whatever is spent would be on a better GPU and a very slightly better CPU and more Ram.

When it comes to hardware pricing, the console market is very very very different from the PC market. And not everything that causes price fluctuations in one affects the other. I mean take the chips for instance, console based chips are generally "cheaper" because console manufacturers deactivate cores and stuff to improved yeilds. Long story short, far fewer chips are written off as defective since redundancies were already put in place by using fewer cores than what the actual chip is built with.

Also, console manufacturers benefit from ridiculous deals. Thats usually because they aren't dealing in a year or two but negotiating for 5+ years. That makes a world of difference when on the negotiation table.

Lastly, you can't use console hardware for cryptocurrency mining..... :)

Around the Network
CrazyGPU said:

The PS4 is a great console, It has a CPU with 8 little cores that achieves a Core I3 like multithreading performance, a nice 18 core shader graphic card derived from Radeon HD 7870-7850 that gives 1,84 Tflops and 8 GB of DDR5 with 176 GB/s of Bandwith. With these specifications it can run almost every game at 1080p 30 FPS. It could have been a little more powerfull, but its enough for 1080p mantaining a good console size and power consumption. 

Now, what do you think the next PS5 will bring us in terms of hardware specifications? I think next gen console should be able to handle at least 4k Resolution at 30 FPS to take advantage of new TVs.  What do you think should be the capabilities and hardware of the next sony console  if it comes arround 2019-2020 to convince you to buy it? 

My PS4 outputs 4,2 Tflops of raw power, has a 36 core graphic card and I have games that display at 1080p 60fps and some have options to go beyond 1080p.

Perhaps it would make more sense to compare the latest iteration of PS4 when speaking of whatever future system replacing it, don't you think?

Last edited by CrazyGamer2017 - on 21 February 2018

Intrinsic said:

Thats because you are basing your calculations off the wrong constants. Look at it this way instead.

Forget whatever one GPU or the other has achieved and how, instead look at the individual compute units and their clocks.

So start with the PS4 OG.
PS4OG = 20CU (2 deactivated)@800mhz = 1.8TF (28nm)
PS4pro = 40CU (4 deactivated)@911mhz = 4.2TF (16nm)

What does that tell you? Exactly doubling the GPU Compute units should theoretically give you 3.6TF. Assuming the clocks stays identical. However, because the GPU has been upclocked from 800mhz to 911mhz that TF value went up from 3.6TF to 4.2TF. And this is before any architecture inprovements have been taken into account.

Now lets use the XB1X as the base.

XB1X = 44CU (4 deactivated)@1172mhz = 6TF (16nm)
PS5/XB2 = 88CU (8 deactivated) @1172 = 12TF (7nm)

Now I am even lowballing this, because

1. one constant going from higher to lower fabrication processes is being able to clock higher because of better thermal efficiency. So at the very least the next gen GPUs should be clocked higher than the 1172mhz seen in the XB1X. 
  2. I am assuming that as much as 8 CUs will be deactivated to improved yields.
  3. We are not taking any architectural design improvements into account.
I do not know why you are using the standards you are using for your theory, when you have very accurate data from the already existing PS4pro and XB1X to see exactly what you can expect from a direct fabrication shrink and upclock when they went from 28nm to 16nm. 

As I have said before and keep saying, the next generation of consoles will not come until 7nm chip fabrication is available and maybe even mature. They will wait. But what I have just pointed out is exactly what to expect from a APU that is 360mm sq as we have in the XB1X built using the 7nm process. 

Lastly, by how much do you think the system can be up-clocked? Can we go up to 1300mhz? 1500mhz? Whatever it is; just know that for every 117mhz clock increase you add an addition 1.2TF of performance. So if its clocked at `1300+mhz you are looking at a 14TF+ GPU. See why i expect it may even be as high as 15TF?

Now if we start talking discrete CPU/GPU? then its a totally different ball game. With that they could have a 300mm sq chip as the GPU alone, keep the clock locked to 1172mhz, but increase CUs from 88 to as much as 140!!! And thats how you get to ~19TF. 

Very nice post. I think you are absolutely on point. Look at the evidence we already have, look at the road maps, and you can start to poaint a pretty clear picture. It all just depends on what stratagy Sony takes.

I still think a PS4 Premium in maybe even early 2019 on 7nm for all PS4 games at native 4K wouldn't be a bad idea. Then let PS5 come with AMD's Next gen GPU tech and Zen 3 on 7nm+ in 2021. We know they are going to shrink PS4 architecture to 7nm anyways, so might as well take advantage of it for one last upgrade. I don't think the core PlayStation audience would have any issue buying a PS4 Premium in 2019 and a PS5 in 2021. The move to 7nm+ should be the last revision to PS4 simply to cut cost across the line, and let it ride out it's twilight years. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:

. We know they are going to shrink PS4 architecture to 7nm anyways

"We" know?What gives you this absolutely ridiculous idea?

By the time 7nm gets "cheap" for  consoles (not going to happen before 2020, and designing in 7nm is very considerably more expensive than current nms), the PS4 has long run its course. Why waste millions in a die shrink (which is NOT that simple as you think) to sell a few end-of-life consoles?

KBG29 said:

Very nice post. I think you are absolutely on point. Look at the evidence we already have, look at the road maps, and you can start to poaint a pretty clear picture. It all just depends on what stratagy Sony takes.

I still think a PS4 Premium in maybe even early 2019 on 7nm for all PS4 games at native 4K wouldn't be a bad idea. Then let PS5 come with AMD's Next gen GPU tech and Zen 3 on 7nm+ in 2021. We know they are going to shrink PS4 architecture to 7nm anyways, so might as well take advantage of it for one last upgrade. I don't think the core PlayStation audience would have any issue buying a PS4 Premium in 2019 and a PS5 in 2021. The move to 7nm+ should be the last revision to PS4 simply to cut cost across the line, and let it ride out it's twilight years. 

Honestly, I do not see a PS4 premium happening. It just makes zero sense especially when a full fledged PS5 would probably be hitting the market around a year later. Remember, the tech that would have made a PS4 premium possible is exactly what would be the basis of a PS5. Rather, I expect to see a PS4 super slim and a PS4pro slim that would retail for $129 and $249 respectively. And probably even release after the PS5 has released if at all. 

Also, one of the big selling points of the PS5 will be 4k gaming. A very clear message of 4k gaming at that. You don't want to take one of the biggest selling points of the new hardware and give it to a (at the time) 7 year old platform. That would be cheaper than the new console no doubt. 

I could see a PS5 as late as 2021 though, its possible. But i believe they would be mostly ready to go as early as 2020 with at least one of two possible strategies. But if MS doesn't push to launch in 2020 then they would wait till 2021.

And yes, it all comes down to the strategy sony takes, but that is also highly dependent on what strategy MS is taking too. Sony would wait until they have clearly seen what MS intends to do; they have won this gen and they can afford to do just that. They will not allow MS launch a year ahead tho, which is why they would have the best of two possible strategies developed enough to be finalized. This is basically a choice between an APU (12-15TF GPU) or going with a discrete CPU/GPU combo (18-20TF GPU). One option will basically cost like $100 more than the other to make.

Maybe I'm just overly optimistic, but my money is on a discrete architecture. There are a number of reasons why I think they could and would do this......

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Azzanation said:

Well if they want to keep it at PS4 prices than i see it something like this.

Entry Level Price $399-$499
12TF AMD GPU
16Gigs of GDDR5
8 Core AMD CPU
2TB Harddrive

Premium Price $799-$999
16TF AMD GPU
20Gigs GDDR5
8 Core AMD CPU
2TB SSD Harddrive

With the price hike in PC hardware atm its hard to see next gen consoles being sold at a good price.

Lol no..... consoles wouldn't channel their investment more towards an SSD when making a premium console. The bulk of whatever is spent would be on a better GPU and a very slightly better CPU and more Ram.

When it comes to hardware pricing, the console market is very very very different from the PC market. And not everything that causes price fluctuations in one affects the other. I mean take the chips for instance, console based chips are generally "cheaper" because console manufacturers deactivate cores and stuff to improved yeilds. Long story short, far fewer chips are written off as defective since redundancies were already put in place by using fewer cores than what the actual chip is built with.

Also, console manufacturers benefit from ridiculous deals. Thats usually because they aren't dealing in a year or two but negotiating for 5+ years. That makes a world of difference when on the negotiation table.

Lastly, you can't use console hardware for cryptocurrency mining..... :)

I just wanted to add in the SSD Hard drive, not really sure how long consoles will remain with the standard drives.. you would think by now they would consider the move to SSD, its so much better. Id much rather an SSD over more storage space in my opinion. My PC boots up quicker than my consoles and that's saying something. I agree the updated GPU will be a definite if they go with the premium model system, that's why I added more Ram on the Premium.

As for the price hike for PC parts, I was more referring to AMD since I think this is going to affect them a little. At the beginning of this gen we didn't have these price hikes and now we do. AMD will surely sell at a higher price you would think. Console makers will still get good deals however would they get deals as good as they did this gen? I would put my money on no as it stands right now. That's an area I am not good with so ill just wait and see, maybe these console makers have already struck a deal, if not than we might be paying more.  

CrazyGamer2017 said:
CrazyGPU said:

The PS4 is a great console, It has a CPU with 8 little cores that achieves a Core I3 like multithreading performance, a nice 18 core shader graphic card derived from Radeon HD 7870-7850 that gives 1,84 Tflops and 8 GB of DDR5 with 176 GB/s of Bandwith. With these specifications it can run almost every game at 1080p 30 FPS. It could have been a little more powerfull, but its enough for 1080p mantaining a good console size and power consumption. 

Now, what do you think the next PS5 will bring us in terms of hardware specifications? I think next gen console should be able to handle at least 4k Resolution at 30 FPS to take advantage of new TVs.  What do you think should be the capabilities and hardware of the next sony console  if it comes arround 2019-2020 to convince you to buy it? 

My PS4 outputs 4,2 Tflops of raw power, has a 36 core graphic card and I have games that display at 1080p 60fps and some have options to go beyond 1080p.

Perhaps it would make more sense to compare the latest iteration of PS4 when speaking of whatever future system replacing it, don't you think?

The post you just quoted was written in 2014 if you´ve paid atention and read the date. In 2014 there was no PS4 pro, even the name didn´t exist at that point. So, it didn´t make any sense at that point to compare your system, don´t you think? 

Intrinsic said:
CrazyGPU said:

Radeon R9 Fury X (275W 28 nm) lauched jun 2015 and it was a 8.6 teraflop graphic card. 512GB/s bandwith.

Radeon RX vega air(295W 14 nm FinFet) launched Aug 2017 and it was a 12.7 teraflop  graphic card. 484 GB/s bandwith, but utilize beter compression tech. 

So, two years and two months,

and AMD could improve flops by 47%, 26 months later with the new architecture.

Now, PS4 pro lauched nov 2016 with 4,2 Teraflops. Let say PS5 launches nov 2020. 48 months later.

If AMD is able to keep its pace in performance improvements, and that gets harder and harder, 

and launchs a 7 nm+ gpu, we can expect:

48 months x 47%(amd improvement) /26 months = 86.7% more performance.

4.2 Tf PS4 pro x 1.867 = 7,84 teraflops. (a little more than 4 x standar PS4)

But, let say Sony try harder, with better cooling, like with Msoft One X. 

One X lauched Nov 2017. It´s a 6 teraflops machine.

Again  let say PS5 launches 2020. 3 years later.

36 months x 47%(amd improvement) / 26 months = 65%

6 Tf XBoX X x 1.65 = 9,9 teraflops. 

So I really don´t understand on what basis one would expect 15 Teraflops on an APU!.

I said I´m expecting 10-12 Teraflops for 2020 and I´m being optimistic.

of course that performance can go higher if they go discrete. 

Edit: I was checking Radeon RX Vega 56 

Specs 10.5 Teraflops. 410 GB/s Bandwith. 210 W. Lauched August 2017. Mostly a 4k 30fps graphic card.

Now, XBox one X peaks 172 W in Gears of War 4.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11992/the-xbox-one-x-review/6

Take away CPU side consumption, fans, disks, and what´s for the GPU side of the apu? 100w?

Now if they can reduce Vega consumption by half in 3 years, you can have a 10 Teraflop GPU on PS5. Or Sony can go the Nvidia route, which is much more complicated.

Thats because you are basing your calculations off the wrong constants. Look at it this way instead.

Forget whatever one GPU or the other has achieved and how, instead look at the individual compute units and their clocks.

So start with the PS4 OG.
PS4OG = 20CU (2 deactivated)@800mhz = 1.8TF (28nm)
PS4pro = 40CU (4 deactivated)@911mhz = 4.2TF (16nm)

What does that tell you? Exactly doubling the GPU Compute units should theoretically give you 3.6TF. Assuming the clocks stays identical. However, because the GPU has been upclocked from 800mhz to 911mhz that TF value went up from 3.6TF to 4.2TF. And this is before any architecture inprovements have been taken into account.

Now lets use the XB1X as the base.

XB1X = 44CU (4 deactivated)@1172mhz = 6TF (16nm)
PS5/XB2 = 88CU (8 deactivated) @1172 = 12TF (7nm)

Now I am even lowballing this, because

1. one constant going from higher to lower fabrication processes is being able to clock higher because of better thermal efficiency. So at the very least the next gen GPUs should be clocked higher than the 1172mhz seen in the XB1X. 
  2. I am assuming that as much as 8 CUs will be deactivated to improved yields.
  3. We are not taking any architectural design improvements into account.
I do not know why you are using the standards you are using for your theory, when you have very accurate data from the already existing PS4pro and XB1X to see exactly what you can expect from a direct fabrication shrink and upclock when they went from 28nm to 16nm. 

As I have said before and keep saying, the next generation of consoles will not come until 7nm chip fabrication is available and maybe even mature. They will wait. But what I have just pointed out is exactly what to expect from a APU that is 360mm sq as we have in the XB1X built using the 7nm process. 

Lastly, by how much do you think the system can be up-clocked? Can we go up to 1300mhz? 1500mhz? Whatever it is; just know that for every 117mhz clock increase you add an addition 1.2TF of performance. So if its clocked at `1300+mhz you are looking at a 14TF+ GPU. See why i expect it may even be as high as 15TF?

Now if we start talking discrete CPU/GPU? then its a totally different ball game. With that they could have a 300mm sq chip as the GPU alone, keep the clock locked to 1172mhz, but increase CUs from 88 to as much as 140!!! And thats how you get to ~19TF. 

First of all , great post. I see your point, it´s another way to see it and a good one. 

I will add that also, in doing what you are explaining, they can perfectly run 1/4 th of the cores and mantain compatibility with PS4 if the hardware is close enough. As they did with PS4 pro. I think this time it will be a brand new architecture.

The only thing that we need to see is:

if they go for premium cooler and stuff like Xbox one X, If they do, and if 7 nm is ready, they can perfectly reach 12 Teraflops as you explained up there.

If they go for a PS4 pro kind of replacement, it could be 4,2Tf x 2(double the cores) = 8,4 teraflops. Let´s give a little more clock , (like 911Mhz pro / 800 MHz base = 13,9%)

then you get 8,4 x 1.139% = 9,57 Teraflops. With a new architecture, probably more.

Let´s give the same treatment for 12 Teraflops Xbox one X like machine. x 1.139 = 13,67 Teraflops.

And the magic marketing numbers are 10, for being the first 10 Tflop machine or more than 12, that´s 2 times Xbox One X.

So my first estimation in 2014 was 12-14 Tf. My actual one is 10-12 Tf, but with your calculation my old estimation can be achievable too. I still think that 15  high, it also depend on the bandwith to feed it. A wide bus translates in more power consumption. But I see your reasons now and I think is perfectly doable.

I hope they get there. A 14 Tf PS5 would be 7,6 times more powerfull than original PS4. A nice jump for 4k and VR.

Azzanation said:

I just wanted to add in the SSD Hard drive, not really sure how long consoles will remain with the standard drives.. you would think by now they would consider the move to SSD, its so much better. Id much rather an SSD over more storage space in my opinion. My PC boots up quicker than my consoles and that's saying something. I agree the updated GPU will be a definite if they go with the premium model system, that's why I added more Ram on the Premium.

As for the price hike for PC parts, I was more referring to AMD since I think this is going to affect them a little. At the beginning of this gen we didn't have these price hikes and now we do. AMD will surely sell at a higher price you would think. Console makers will still get good deals however would they get deals as good as they did this gen? I would put my money on no as it stands right now. That's an area I am not good with so ill just wait and see, maybe these console makers have already struck a deal, if not than we might be paying more.  

Don't get me wrong. I believe the next gen of consoles will switch to an SSD. An M.2 SSD to be exact. And that while it will be based on the PCIEx4 interface the drives will be STA 3 speeds. 

But just pointing out that if there is going to be a difference between a base and premium console, it won't be with regards to the drive in the console. 

And as for price, whatever AMD charges them, it will be at least lower than Nvidia.

CrazyGPU said:

The post you just quoted was written in 2014 if you´ve paid atention and read the date. In 2014 there was no PS4 pro, even the name didn´t exist at that point. So, it didn´t make any sense at that point to compare your system, don´t you think? 

Well sir you should have guessed back in 2014 that I was going to reply to that post 4 years later without checking that you posted in 2014 when there was no Pro. Also you should have guessed that years later there would be a Pro...

Also you're a crazy GPU, I mean if you had been a sane GPU then yeah, maybe but you're crazy!

Hehe this way I'm not wrong