By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which is better overall?

JRPGs. 133 70.00%

WRPGs. 57 30.00%

Total:190

I find WRPGs and to be boring realism and vegetation simulators with no direction.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Borderlands and Fallout 3 and stuff like that, but I don't listen to their soundtracks and spend hours replaying cut scenes on Youtube a year later like I do with games like Xenoblade Chronicles, Ni no Kuni, etc. The music and emotion in these games is like Shakespeare by comparison while WRPGs feel like cookie cutter hack and slash FPS games with swords and inventory tacked on because apparently all western developers can make anymore are FPS games.

To me story and presentation of that story is king.  I want an engaging suspenseful and tragic story full of soul shaking revelations and plot twists that make me hold my breath, skip a heart beat, and music that will still give me goosebumps years later.  If I get teary at least once, it's on my A list.

WRPGs just dont have that.

And I'm more into the Neverending Story and Final Fantasy/Tales/Breath of Fire/Lunar/Secret of Mana type magical fantasy with air ships and colorful creatures and glowing plants and just... vibrant enchanting worlds.  I'm not into the hyper realistic olive drab and brown middle ages, witchcraft, dragon slaying and Gladiator and D&D type stuff that WRPGS seem focused on.  I think WRPG and I just think wearing chain mail and fighting nothing but dragons and skeletons in catacombs and no real edge of your seat story and dry or no character development.  I want to ride around on fluffy white Flamie dragons, discover moogles,  and adventure through hidden sacred realms and floating magical fortresses and wear adamantie armor and wield crystal swords.

Not hack my way through 1000 skeletons and slay dragons with a rusty battle axe and chain mail in a photo "realistic" medieval setting. 

I WANT my linear 100+ hour story, but do NOT confuse a linear novel like story with linear gameplay, they are NOT the same thing.  Linear story narrative does not mean you have to have a linear world and game play built out of hallways and using one button spam.  Old school JRPGs were always linear story and open world.  You'd leave town free to go mostly anywhere on the overworld map before continuing to your destination to advance the story, minus the cliche "the bridge is broken right now" type funneling.  But to create that edge of your seat JRPG addiction you necessarily MUST have a story being told and play as a main character who participates in the story emotionally.  Compare Shulk in Xenoblade or Oliver in Ni no Kuni vs your character which is so non existant I don't even know if he/she had a name.

And on that note, generally a game will have a good story if the character names and characters themselves are fixed, as they are in any good movie or novel while a game that opens up with a character creation screen is going to be pretty bland. Everyone likes to praise open world this and make your character as you see fit and do whatever you want gameplay, but how many of those people enjoy reading 1000 page novels with blank pages? 

I define role playing as playing a role, eg taking over from the point of view of someone who is already well defined and established.  I don't want to create and play as myself or some blank template avatar that I can customize and who never talks in the game,  I want to escape into a fantasy world where I play through the eyes of a main character who has his/her own life, story, problems, etc.

I want to be Shulk, or Cecil, or Oliver, or Stocke and be dumped into the middle of THEIR world. Not some nameless voiceless "wanderer" or nameless avatar that's supposed to be "me".

JRPGs all the way.  Give me Final Fantasy 4 and 6, Xenogears, Xenosaga, Xenoblade Chronicles, Ni no Kuni, Tales of*, Breath of Fire, Illusion of Gaia, Secret of Mana, Lunar, Kingdom Hearts, Wild Arms, Star Ocean, Skies of Arcadia, Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky, etc any day over fawking Oblivion or Fable.

Around the Network

Jrpgs.

Both a great, but it's impossible to make such distinctions when they cover such diverse sub-genres. And many of those sub genres include a lot games that vary wildly in quality, tone, gameplay and story telling.

Anyone who argues that one is definitively better than the other is most likely completely ignorant of large swathes of the other.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Aeolus451 said:
I would have to go with jrpg's. They are generally more challenging and less likely to hold a gamer's hand through the game.

Let me guess the only WRPGs you have played were Bioware and Bethesda games in the last generation...

Because games like The Witcher, Wasteland 2, Fallout 1 & 2, The Elder Scrolls 2 & 3, Ultima 1-7, Eye of the Beholder, Geneforge and Avernum series are all WRPGs off the top of my head that don't hold your hand at all. In fact they make most JRPGs look eaxtreamly handholdy in comparison. Hell go try play a true rogue-like for example Stone Soup (get it free here http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/downloads) and I bet you won't even be able to get past floor 2.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Which had games with the better setting?
WRPG
Which had games with the better music?
JRPG
Which had games with better game design (How the game works)?
WRPG
Which had games with the better combat gameplay?
JRPG & WRPG tied
Which had games with the better story?
JRPG

Still, i don't want to pick a side.

I love the orcs and humans setting used in Warcraft, Skyrim & Dragon Age.
But i friggin adore the music & storylines in Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 and Crisis Core.

I mean, Warcraft controlled 9 years of my life, Skyrim was my favourite rpg this decade.
But on the other hand, the story of Zack Fair & Cloud in Crisis Core brought me to tears.
And the music, oh god Nobuo Uematsu!, this is too hard xD

Around the Network
zarx said:
Aeolus451 said:
I would have to go with jrpg's. They are generally more challenging and less likely to hold a gamer's hand through the game.

Let me guess the only WRPGs you have played were Bioware and Bethesda games in the last generation...

Because games like The Witcher, Wasteland 2, Fallout 1 & 2, The Elder Scrolls 2 & 3, Ultima 1-7, Eye of the Beholder, Geneforge and Avernum series are all WRPGs off the top of my head that don't hold your hand at all. In fact they make most JRPGs look eaxtreamly handholdy in comparison. Hell go try play a true rogue-like for example Stone Soup (get it free here http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/downloads) and I bet you won't even be able to get past floor 2.

Honestly I haven't played any of those except morrowind and I loved that game.  I've never been a pc gamer. I haven't played a good challenging wrpg recent gen or old school. I've had the most fun with the "souls" games and dragon's dogma with the recent jrpg's.

Aeolus451 said:

Honestly I haven't played any of those except morrowind and I loved that game.  I've never been a pc gamer. I haven't played a good challenging wrpg recent gen or old school. I've had the most fun with the "souls" games and dragon's dogma with the recent jrpg's.

Sadly the WRPGs that make it to consoles are mostly the most dumbed down streamlined games in the genre. If you have an X360 you could try The Witcher 2, it's far less hand holdy than anything from Bethesda or Bioware in recent memory. You could also try the Risen 1 or 3 I haven't played them myself but I hear good things about them, tho they are a bit rough around the edges especially on consoles.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

zarx said:

Sadly the WRPGs that make it to consoles are mostly the most dumbed down streamlined games in the genre. If you have an X360 you could try The Witcher 2, it's far less hand holdy than anything from Bethesda or Bioware in recent memory. You could also try the Risen 1 or 3 I haven't played them myself but I hear good things about them, tho they are a bit rough around the edges especially on consoles.

It comes with the territory though. I did enjoy Dragon Age: Origin's console version, where instead of making it a dumbed down version, Bioware opted to use the KOTOR-esque model (which fares good in consoles) instead of the Baldur's Gate angle on PC. I prefer the later, obviously, but hey.

The Witcher 2 on 360 was very well-done too, but at times it felt like I hadn't got enough buttons to make Geralt do what I wanted xD

About grinding, if I like the game, I do it because I like to max out all the stats and all the skills I like even if it isn't necessary, and also to make the game last longer. In some games, like AD&D ones, where magic using classes have limited numbers of spells launchable before having to rest, I find grinding quite necessary to raise some weapon skills to be used with weaker foes, to save magic for more difficult battles and enemies. I know they can be played as pure mages, but I don't find amusing having to come back to a safe place too often to rest and recharge magic. In Planescape:Torment, for example, there's a very high level cap, but quite a low cap for skills, spells and stats, only one character has ranged non-magic weapons and only one character has a long blade, while the Nameless One can get only maces, hammers and axes, powerful but slow, and daggers knives and punch-blades, quick but weak, so, while the game can be played relatively peacefully, if one wants to get everything out of the game without having to sleep too often to recharge spells, some grinding is necessary to fortify the One and avoid he dies too often in melee (annoying because although immortal, you resurrect elsewhere and you have to recover all your stuff, and quickly, as items outside of containers or their original location disappear after some time, one in-game time day IIRC). This totally optional grinding (it's necessary only if one wants the Nameless One to become a mage with high warrior capabilities and fight everything that can be fought) can be quite limited, there are places with respawning monsters that give a lot of XP points, so it doesn't ruin an exceptional game, where even the heaviest grinding is an insignificant part of the huge, detailed story and world, with rich dialogues and lots of varied characters, each one with their story, with or without connection with the hero's quest, and often with their little or big sidequests.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I don't think music and story are too debatable. JRPGs put greater focus on them so more work is put into it. A lot of WRPGs allow you to customize and choose things at the expense of plot and character development.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.