By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which is better overall?

JRPGs. 133 70.00%

WRPGs. 57 30.00%

Total:190

Strange that no one in here brought up the point that JRPG and WRPG and very arbitrary terms.

I do know that a lot of people have certain things in mind when they say one or the other, but if you actually delve more into each of the genres you're referring to, you'll see that it becomes harder to differentiate unless you want to separate them by literally where they are made. Then it comes down to some exception cases with that. However, another problem presents itself where a game made in Japan resembles completely a game you normally associate with the West and vice versa.

Of course, with all that said, the majority of the RPGs I've played fit under what people would undeniably call "JRPG," so I don't really have a way of answering this question even if I did agree with using this terminology.

Around the Network

Xenoblade

That's  low

You might as well ask if people like anime and or manga and if so, they'll like jrpgs more, obviously

JayWood2010 said:

If you use the best of the best like Mass Effect, Skyrim,and Dark souls(yes its a WRPG in design).

Dark Souls is fundamentally different than any Wrpgs. It is not an open world game, it actually have a linear game design but with connected, medium sized maps. the objective always the same, unlike Wrpgs where the focus is on the quantity of side activities to make the game "player driven". Dark Souls is a straightforward game. Also, One of JRPGs strong point has always been the attention that is paid to make the combat ( Final Fantasy, Tales of, Persona ) and so is Dark Souls. The combat is so preciese and strict it is not remotely similiar to the likes of Skyrim or Dragon age which are based merely on the strongest abilities you unlock through leveling up ( in Dark Souls it is the player skill and experience that matters most ). It resembles a JRPG that is not turn-based.

So no, not even close. I coudn't dissagree more

Around the Network

I really only like JRPGs. And within that category, I very much prefer the turn-based (Or quasi-turn-based) ones, such as the older Final Fantasy games and Persona.

Many of the newer "Action RPG"s don't interest me that much.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

-Samuel Clemens

The one that doesn't look like an anime.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
VXIII said:
JayWood2010 said:

You can disagree which is fine, doesnt make it any more right.

I expected more WRPG fans.

I used to say JRPG's, but WRPG's have gotten better as a genre while JRPG's have gotten worse. Many of the negatives that plagued WRPG's are in the past, while JRPG's have embraced their negatives, in my opinion.

For reference:

List of WRPG's I have enjoyed in the last five years.

Skyrim
Divinity Original Sin
Dragon Age series
Mass Effect series
Diablo 3
Torchlight 2
The Witcher series
Dark Souls series (JRPG doesn't mean developed by a Japanese developer, it's just a re-appropriation of Console RPG.)
Fallout Series
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Shadowrun Returns
Path of Exile
and others I can't recall.

List of JRPG's I've enjoyed in the last five years.

Shin Megami Tensei Series
Persona
The Last Story
Xenoblade
Fire Emblem series
Pokemon series
Bravely Default
Ni no Kuni
Radiant Historia
Dragon Quest IX
Tales of series
Monster Hunter
Etrian Odyssey series
and probably others which I'm forgetting.