By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which is better overall?

JRPGs. 133 70.00%

WRPGs. 57 30.00%

Total:190

Which had games with the better setting? For me WRPGs overall have always had more rich and engrossing worlds..

Which had games with the better music? JRPGs. Although WRPGs have fantastic ambient music and fit really well with the gameplay I often find myself listening to the tracks of JRPGs casually.

Which had games with better game design (How the game works)? WRPGs, I generally find that WRPGs have much better pacing than JRPGs and it feels a bit more balanced too.

Which had games with the better combat gameplay? WRPGs, just personal preference.

Which had games with the better story? JRPG plots are a bit more fantastic but I find they suffer from cliches/tropes and bad writing. WRPGs are more coherent and better written I think.

Overall WRPGs, although I am heavily generalizing, there are still quite a few JRPGs I love.

Around the Network

the RPG-highlight in the next years is:

Persona 5 : )

every category jrpg, multiplayerwise korean

Interesting how many JRPG fans are on this site.

I always really wanna love JRPGs because their settings are so beautiful and imaginative, more so than any other game worlds I think, but unfortunately that's usually all I like about them. Not to say there aren't exceptions, but for the most part I can't stand most JRPGs.

The characters are especially off putting to me. Bunch of one dimensional stereotypes everywhere you look...with stupid hair no less lol

Setting:

Jrpgs. More imaginative and absorbing. Wrpgs are so predictable, Japan has its twist on things. Even when it come to characters, in wrpgs they usually scan real people into the game and call it a day.

Music

With the works of Yoko Shimomura and Nobuo Uematsu.. They are not on the league honestly. Jrpgs all the way.

Design

Usually Wrpgs. Many Jrpgs franchises have never evolved in a long time.

Combat

Usually Jrpgs. This an area where Wrpgs need to step it up. In games like Skyrim or Dragon age the best thing to do is to use the strongest skill available. It requires no management, no planning,  almost nothing really.

Story

Jrpgs, usually they try to tell something meaningful, not just a series of events that take place. Characters also usually have more depth to them. The extreme twists on the characters design is not usually preferable though.

Around the Network

Depends on what game.  As a genre its too broad.  If you use the best of the best like Mass Effect, Skyrim,and Dark souls(yes its a WRPG in design),Final Fantasy, Persona, and Pokemon, etc then it comes out to be what is your taste.  WRPG's typically have better production value and focuses on open world gameplay where as JRPG's focus on turn base and a linear story more.  I know of a lot of people who cant stand turn based combat or the animated design in particular where as they like the more realistic style and free combat and choices.  And the same can be said vice versa

So neither is better but since we are on a website where the minority is often louder than the mass youre going to hear JRPG a lot

Judgeing by the posts, JRPGs are prefered by more. Added poll by the way.

I don't really like either but between the two, I prefer JRPGs.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

WRPG. The only JRPG games I've actually liked are the Fire Emblem and Paper Mario/SMRPG games

I regret making this my username, I made this name when I was 13 years old

Life could always get worse, you could be a mod for Neogaf

Wright said:

Better game design = WRPGs. In some cases, they also have the upper hand in combat gameplay.

Everything else, JRPGs.

This!!!