By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS Is Really Fading Out Fast In The US

irstupid said:
New 3DS /endthread

3DS is still down YoY in Japan on a weekly basis despite the New. It ain't doing miracles.

...and 2015 is going to be even worse than 2014 in terms of releases. The decline is inevitable.

Around the Network

3ds will sell more than PSP life time anyway!

Switch!!!

Shadow1980 said:

I already talked about the 3DS vs. the PSP here. Here's the gist of it, with no graphs:

1. The 3DS was outpacing the PSP in the U.S. and Japan until the end of last year, more so in Japan. In the U.S., the 3DS is still over 1.7 million units ahead of where the PSP was at this point in time. The 3DS also has always garnered a larger portion of its annual sales in Q4 than the PSP did.

2. The PSP had a big boost from the release of the PSP-2000 in September 2007. The 3DS didn't have a big boost to baseline sales from the 2DS, which wasn't even released in Japan (though Pokemon X/Y provided a big boost for October last year).

3. The 2DS likely had no effect on sales because it lacked what every other remodel of handhelds that did boost sales have: actual improvements over the previous model. It seems like most customers would rather pony up the extra $70 for an XL. The New 3DS does have actual improvements over previous models, and that's why I think it could potentially give a boost to sales just as it has in Japan.

4. The PSP had a huge drop YoY in 2009, declining about 35% in the U.S. and 40% in Japan. If the N3DS only manages to keep 3DS sales from declining YoY, it will go back to outpacing the PSP. If it gets even a modest increase in YoY sales, say, back to or close to 2013 levels, that means it will outpace the PSP just that much more.

The potential for at least matching if not passing the PSP in America is still there. It just depends on what effects the N3DS has on sales. Of course, in Japan the 3DS has already passed the GBA, will likely pass the PSP next year, and is still on track to become the third best-selling piece of game hardware ever in the country (or possibly second, if you count the GBC separately)

Since noone else has, I will comment this.

great post! Very insightful, but I dont think N3DS will be able to boost the WW figures all that much. 3DS will be down YoY from now on... but still e great post!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

141k and 138k monthly are pretty good numbers for a device approaching 4 years on the market, specially when you compare it to its competitor......

Soundwave said:
JazzB1987 said:

No wonder when no games get released.  But tbh I think it sells quite good.

To me it feels like 5 games were released this year. (Bad Yoshi etc does not count imo)

This year I bought Smash Tomodachi Life and Fantasy Life. thats it. (Will buy Pokemon to get a free game with the club nintendo promotion)

Btw Fucking Dragon Quest where are you?!

There's been some OK releases 

Bravely Default, Final Fantasy Theaterhythm 2, Persona Q, Yoshi's New Island, Super Smash Bros. 3D, Fantasy Life, Kirby Triple Deluxe, Mario Golf, Tomodachi Collection ... you can't expect every year to be like last year, even the DS wasn't like that. 

It would be nice if they brought Dragon Quest VII here, but lets be honest, sales wouldn't be any different had they done that. 

Sales might have gotten a little increase but thats not the important thing to me I already have like 4 2DS/3DSes- (3DS 3DSXL 3DSXL Zelda edition I will never ever touch thats just there for room decoration and another 2DS I got for free because some company fucked up)

More important is that I WANT DRAGON QUEST NOW. Everyone knows that DQ is better than FF. So why do we have to beg for the better game.....

Clyde32 said:
Soundwave said:

There's been some OK releases 

Bravely Default, Final Fantasy Theaterhythm 2, Persona Q, Yoshi's New Island, Super Smash Bros. 3D, Fantasy Life, Kirby Triple Deluxe, Mario Golf, Tomodachi Collection ... you can't expect every year to be like last year, even the DS wasn't like that. 

It would be nice if they brought Dragon Quest VII here, but lets be honest, sales wouldn't be any different had they done that. 

So pretty much Smash Bros, Bravely Default and Tomodachi so far. All within like 4 months of each other?

Not Bravely Default when you are from the EU. That game came out last year here :)

Around the Network

The 3DS is pretty much the last dedicated handheld that had a god shot at selling 100 million units, and it failed at it.

It will do OK numbers overall, but its a shrinking market. IMO if they manage to stabilize the dedicated handheld market at ~50 million/gen, Nintendo actually has a small chance of remaining relevant in the console market, with absolutely no 3rd party software support

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Yeah we get it, the handheld market is fucking dying. Why do we need this conversation over and over and why do people keep trying to defend the 3DS' poor sales?? -__-

MoHasanie said:
Well its not surprising considering the competition from smartphones. And the New 3DS will help boost sales for another year, But the drop in sales for the 3DS in 2014 compared to 2013 has been huge.

I find this argument interesting.  I don't really think any mobile phone stands up to a dedicated handheld system.  If anything, mobile gaming helps get a new type of gamer interested in games - the casualapp gamer.

Hardware sales will improve soon: http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/22/7267213/nintendo-3ds-homebrew-exploit-cubic-ninja

ryuzaki57 said:
irstupid said:
New 3DS /endthread

3DS is still down YoY in Japan on a weekly basis despite the New. It ain't doing miracles.

...and 2015 is going to be even worse than 2014 in terms of releases. The decline is inevitable.

3DS will now for the rest of the year will be up on a weekly basis in japan. Last year had good numbers for Oct/Nov. But even 2011/2012 had better Dec overall :0

You cant say that about 2015 is going to be worse than 2014. Nobody can because lasst year about the same time we didn't know half of the releases for 2014. Same could be said with 2015. We need to wait on that^