By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone see any good reason why GTAV's(PS4/X1 editions) meta is higher than Smash U's?

Are people really nit picking a few metacritic points? lol

Lets not be petty, smash scored 94 so far which means its a classic. We could literally have this argument with any two games and it wouldn't go anywhere. There is no scientific ways to score games, there will always be tons of un-remarked variables, like the lasting impression an experience leaves on you or your underlying genre preference, your respect for the achievement a game manages.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:

After reading multiple reviews I have not come across any reason why critics are giving Smash less than perfect 10's. Some say they will be playing for years to come, others say they cannot put it down and are having a chaotic blast with 8 friends in the room.

Every downside is minor. Extra mods are not as robust as they hoped, stage creator is not as great as minecraft, etc...

Can we travel the world in GTAV yet? I want every city on the planet! No? Well then I am let down. 8/10

Other than there being no online yet, I see no reason for this. They should wait for online like IGN is!

Agree? Any thoughts?

There are two reasons why GTA games do what they do. The first one is because of replayability. Almost anything your mind can think of, that game can do. Wanna drive people around and play Crazy Taxi? Done. Wanna have sex? Done. Wanna run around with a blow torch, harassing women? Done. Wanna rob something? Done. How about being a cop for a day and busting the bad guys? Done and done. You can do missions, go for 100%, screw around and do nothing at ALL... it never ends. When you throw online play into the mix, it's just, way more for your money than most games these days. That's one of the biggest reasons for it's score.

The other is less concrete and that is style and taste. It's been a LONG time (SNES era) since games like SSB were the dominant type of game. Games like that which are colorful, charming, magical etc, they went out of favor when the PS1 came out. Now, instead of just geeks, nerds and kids... gaming was for the mainstream. You could actually be the COOL kid and play video games. You could be a 35 year old man and not have to hide your hidden shame. That happened because there were games like Resident Evil, Metal Gear, Twisted Metal and Syphon Filter. The mature demograph of titles allowed for this shift to happen and it's been here ever since.

People that love guns, shooting, blood and mature/dark games heavily outnumber the nerds and kids. That's why SSB will never outsell GTA or COD. Mature titles are what most people want.

People who fight over a Metacritics score...

Really...Damn, it was better before Metacritics was here.

prayformojo said:
spurgeonryan said:

There are two reasons why GTA games do what they do. The first one is because of replayability. Almost anything your mind can think of, that game can do. Wanna drive people around and play Crazy Taxi? Done. Wanna have sex? Done. Wanna run around with a blow torch, harassing women? Done. Wanna rob something? Done. How about being a cop for a day and busting the bad guys? Done and done. You can do missions, go for 100%, screw around and do nothing at ALL... it never ends. When you throw online play into the mix, it's just, way more for your money than most games these days. That's one of the biggest reasons for it's score.

The other is less concrete and that is style and taste. It's been a LONG time (SNES era) since games like SSB were the dominant type of game. Games like that which are colorful, charming, magical etc, they went out of favor when the PS1 came out. Now, instead of just geeks, nerds and kids... gaming was for the mainstream. You could actually be the COOL kid and play video games. You could be a 35 year old man and not have to hide your hidden shame. That happened because there were games like Resident Evil, Metal Gear, Twisted Metal and Syphon Filter. The mature demograph of titles allowed for this shift to happen and it's been here ever since.

People that love guns, shooting, blood and mature/dark games heavily outnumber the nerds and kids. That's why SSB will never outsell GTA or COD. Mature titles are what most people want.

Lol, thats why SSB outsells 99% of the game industry that has guns, sex, and mature things? You picked some of the best selling games of all time. Thats like if somebody said persona isnt big if your comparing it to FF or Pokemon.

I get the point your making overall but needed to point tht out

tbone51 said:
prayformojo said:
spurgeonryan said:

Lol, thats why SSB outsells 99% of the game industry that has guns, sex, and mature things? You picked some of the best selling games of all time. Thats like if somebody said persona isnt big if your comparing it to FF or Pokemon.

I get the point your making overall but needed to point tht out

What is the number one selling game on PS2,PS3,Xbox and Xbox 360? I honestly don't know, but I bet it's not colorful and has guns.

Around the Network

I wouldn't get ahead of ourselves quite yet. At this point we're still waiting on quite a few reviews so it could go either way (hopefully up!)

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

prayformojo said:

What is the number one selling game on PS2,PS3,Xbox and Xbox 360? I honestly don't know, but I bet it's not colorful and has guns.

Lol, so #1 selling game means every other game as well? How come every FPS doesn't outsell smash? How come? Im listening.

Funny you mention gen 6, GTA was #1 followed by #2 Pokemon

tbone51 said:

Lol, so #1 selling game means every other game as well? How come every FPS doesn't outsell smash? How come? Im listening.

Smash and other Nintendo IPs don't compete with GTA. Pokemon is a damned handheld game. They're behind a walled garden via Nintendo's hardware. Why do you think great games like Rachet or Sly don't even sniff the sales of Metal Gear Soild or GTA? Why do you think MS has trouble even getting an "E" title off the ground? Little Big Planet 3 won't be able to compete with The Order etc.

Nintendo consoles are purchased by that minority I was talking about earlier. It's one part kids, one part nerds like us. You don't see dude bros and mainstream gamers walking around with 3DS systems, do you? 

prayformojo said:
tbone51 said:

Smash and other Nintendo IPs don't compete with GTA. Pokemon is a damned handheld game. They're behind a walled garden via Nintendo's hardware. Why do you think great games like Rachet or Sly don't even sniff the sales of Metal Gear Soild or GTA? Why do you think MS has trouble even getting an "E" title off the ground? Little Big Planet 3 won't be able to compete with The Order etc.

Nintendo consoles are purchased by that minority I was talking about earlier. It's one part kids, one part nerds like us. You don't see dude bros and mainstream gamers walking around with 3DS systems, do you? 

YOU KEEP IGNORING Everything else im saying!!!!!! >_<

" You don't see dude bros and mainstream gamers walking around with 3DS systems, do you? " Yes for one me and my brother do (though he's 17). Its called ignore people. If your embarrassed thats too bad. i learnt in HS f*** wat people say, if you want to hide, then go ahead.

My best friends make fun of me, but i keep my head high and crack on them back.

I don't even like gta that much but it deserves better scores than smash brothers simply for being far more ambitious.