By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Persona Q Reviews! Metascore 87 [19 Reviews] Another GoTY Contender?

tbone51 said:
Euphoria14 said:
Also, how are gamers the industry? We don't make the games.

That's like saying my whole neighborhood is the car industry because we all own cars.

We are the industry, no gamers = no gaming industry. It happens all the time with games that sold terrible for example.

Same could be said with a King. No People = No King (i forgotthe saying lol)

We are customers. The industry are the companies and people who create a product with the intent of gaining our dollars.

Am I the mobile industry because I own an iPhone? Am I the food industry because I bought ham steaks last night? Am I suddenly the banking industry because I put my money in a bank?

If so then where was my bailout check? 😊

I am part of the U.S. defense industry because I work in Aerospace and my company works with giants like Boeing, Sikorsky and Northrop Grumman. We also create Spirit jets for rich people to buy. Opera owns one. She isn't part of the Aerospace industry as I am sure we can all agree.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

This has gone so off topic. O_o

Anyways, yes, Persona Q COULD be a GoTY contender if you go by its current metascore, but I'm sure it won't be.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Euphoria14 said:

When Metacritic has their own awards I am sure they will factor in the iOS Hearthstone and its 93 score. Having less reviews means little. It had less because A.) it was on mobile and B.) It was already reviewed previously when on PC, so many wouldn't review it again. Hearthstone is considered best when played on iOS. 

This is a show that's seems to have been made in collaboration with the big companies, so im sure they had input on how the nominations went. What did people want, Smash, Bayonetta, Mario Kart, PersonaQ taking up 70%+ of the nominees for GoTY? It can't work like that. That would be like the Emmys making the Actor of the Year nominees entirely with Breaking Bad actors. It just doesn't work like that. Sometimes you might have 2 in there, but other shows are also great and need representation.

Also if you look outside of forums I am sure many of these nominees are valid amongst people who play games. The list is fair.

A) You ignored all of my points why the metascore with fewer reviews means less. Yes, I know there are reasons why it happens, but that is irrelevant

B) If the companies have input in the nominations, isn't that a good enough reason to discount The Game Awards? The companies shouldn't be the ones who decide what gets to be GOTY...

C) Your comment about Actors of the Year being entirely from Breaking Bad doesn't make any sense. It would be more like, Actor of the Year being entirely from AMC Shows, which, if true, why not? If two of the best games this year were published by Nintendo, why should we ignore one of them? Especially if they are as different as Bayo and Smash. 

D) I think leaving Smash out solely because it is a fighting game, or solely because it is a Nintendo game, is ridiculous. It seems quite strange that the highest rated new game of the year would be left off of any GOTY nominations list...

Euphoria14 said:

Anyways, yes, Persona Q COULD be a GoTY contender if you go by its current metascore, but I'm sure it won't be.

Because of some arbitrary assignment of lesser worth placed on handheld games (and fighting games), which is BS...

Also, both me and tbone have explained the "we are the industry" statement...not sure why you can't wrap your head around that explanation

sundin13 said:
Euphoria14 said:

When Metacritic has their own awards I am sure they will factor in the iOS Hearthstone and its 93 score. Having less reviews means little. It had less because A.) it was on mobile and B.) It was already reviewed previously when on PC, so many wouldn't review it again. Hearthstone is considered best when played on iOS. 

This is a show that's seems to have been made in collaboration with the big companies, so im sure they had input on how the nominations went. What did people want, Smash, Bayonetta, Mario Kart, PersonaQ taking up 70%+ of the nominees for GoTY? It can't work like that. That would be like the Emmys making the Actor of the Year nominees entirely with Breaking Bad actors. It just doesn't work like that. Sometimes you might have 2 in there, but other shows are also great and need representation.

Also if you look outside of forums I am sure many of these nominees are valid amongst people who play games. The list is fair.

A) You ignored all of my points why the metascore with fewer reviews means less. Yes, I know there are reasons why it happens, but that is irrelevant

B) If the companies have input in the nominations, isn't that a good enough reason to discount The Game Awards? The companies shouldn't be the ones who decide what gets to be GOTY...

C) Your comment about Actors of the Year being entirely from Breaking Bad doesn't make any sense. It would be more like, Actor of the Year being entirely from AMC Shows, which, if true, why not? If two of the best games this year were published by Nintendo, why should we ignore one of them? Especially if they are as different as Bayo and Smash. 

D) I think leaving Smash out solely because it is a fighting game, or solely because it is a Nintendo game, is ridiculous. It seems quite strange that the highest rated new game of the year would be left off of any GOTY nominations list...

Euphoria14 said:

Because of some arbitrary assignment of lesser worth placed on handheld games (and fighting games), which is BS...

Also, both me and tbone have explained the "we are the industry" statement...not sure why you can't wrap your head around that explanation

A.) I ignored it because Hearthstone PC =/= Hearthstone iOS.  The iOS version is widely considered the superior version even without metascore being taken into account. I used the best version of Hearthstone and the one that will continue to be the games driving force now that Blizzard is setting up to release it on Android tablets and smart phones now. it is currently on iPad. PC has most reviews, but the mobile version is the most relevant.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/11/05/how-android-and-asia-are-key-to-blizzards-hearthstone-world-domination-plans/

B.) So GDC awards don't count now?

C.) Your issue is that you are trying to base everything on Metacritic and Metacritic alone. More goes into what becomes a nominee than just review score, which is done by one guy in one outlet. This is why Demon's Souls won GoTY at Gamespot in 2009 despite not having the highest score that year. The score for Dragon Age was .5 higher, but the entire staff thought otherwise. In TV even if people beleive the best actors were in Breaking Bad you can't just put Aaaron Paul, Bryan Cranston & Giancarlo Esposito in there and ignore the fantasic acting work by Kevin Spacey in House of Cards or Jon Hamm in Mad Men. You need proper represenation for multiple shows in the industry. You can't just appease on fanbase. This is just how it goes, like it or not.

D.) Seriously? Leaving it out because it's a Nintendo game? Have you even looked at the nominees? Nintendo is one of the few that has multiple nominations in a single category and Smash is listed, albeit the 3DS version.

The reason Smash isn't there has nothing to do with being a Nintendo game or a fighting game. 

Also "Because of some arbitrary assignment of lesser worth placed on handheld games (and fighting games), which is BS..."

*Sees Hearthstone on GoTY nominee list.

Now about the "industry" thing. Explain to me how you are "the gaming industry". Because you walked into the store and gave them $60 for Smash Bros? I would expect industry personal to have more imput in the industry than just that. You can argue that purchasing habits can help a company decide what to do next, but that doesn't make the customer "the industry".

Go look up industry and tell me what it says.

Here, i'll just link it. Show me where it says anything about the customers.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/industry

Currently playing:

Euphoria14 said:
sundin13 said:
Euphoria14 said:

Euphoria14 said:

A.) I ignored it because Hearthstone PC =/= Hearthstone iOS.  The iOS version is widely considered the superior version even without metascore being taken into account.

C.) Your issue is that you are trying to base everything on Metacritic and Metacritic alone. More goes into what becomes a nominee than just review score, which is done by one guy in one outlet. This is why Demon's Souls won GoTY at Gamespot in 2009 despite not having the highest score that year. The score for Dragon Age was .5 higher, but the entire staff thought otherwise. In TV even if people beleive the best actors were in Breaking Bad you can't just put Aaaron Paul, Bryan Cranston & Giancarlo Esposito in there and ignore the fantasic acting work by Kevin Spacey in House of Cards or Jon Hamm in Mad Men. You need proper represenation for multiple shows in the industry. You can't just appease on fanbase. This is just how it goes, like it or not.

D.) Seriously? Leaving it out because it's a Nintendo game? Have you even looked at the nominees? Nintendo is one of the few that has multiple nominations in a single category and Smash is listed, albeit the 3DS version.

The reason Smash isn't there has nothing to do with being a Nintendo game or a fighting game. 

Also "Because of some arbitrary assignment of lesser worth placed on handheld games (and fighting games), which is BS..."

Now about the "industry" thing. Explain to me how you are "the gaming industry". Because you walked into the store and gave them $60 for Smash Bros? I would expect industry personal to have more imput in the industry than just that. You can argue that purchasing habits can help a company decide what to do next, but that doesn't make the customer "the industry".

A) Well, from what I've seen of Hearthstone, they are pretty much equivalent on both PC and iOS...my point stands (although I don't really know the context of your original discussion with tbone).

B) GDC is interesting for what it is, but as an actual GOTY award system, I don't think they hold much merit and I think that after last year's pathetic and disgusting showing, any merit they may have held is gone. However, there is a difference between the involvement of companies making business decisions as to what games should win and respected industry members convening and talking about what they think is influencial and important in the industry. Its really just what degree of cynicism you hold as to whether or not one is acceptable and the other is not...

C/D) I'm not trying to base everything on metascore, I'm just saying that certain factors that come into GOTY nominations probably shouldn't come into those nominations and the differences between reviews and nominations sometimes makes that clear. As I said, often certain genres of games, like fighting games get the short end of the stick when it comes to GOTY for no real reason. Also, I think its pretty clear that handheld games are generally assigned less worth in GOTY awards...just looking at all of the GOTY award winners from every major western game site since 2001, only once did a handheld game win a GOTY award and Fighting games have won zero GOTY awards since 2001. About a month ago there was a thread here about the potential for Smash to get GOTY and a ton of the comments said "it wont happen because Smash is a fighting game"...I find that quite interesting. 

"Leaving it out because it's a Nintendo game? ": Wait, isn't that exactly what you were saying though? You said it wasn't there because another Nintendo game (Bayo 2) was already there, therefore, it was excluded for being a Nintendo game. I think you misunderstood me here...

E) About the industry thing, you are really just debating semantics. I think it is blatantly clear what tbone meant, and it has been explained multiple times. If you disagree with the way he said it, well that just seems petty...The consumer are the ones who decide when a game is good and without the consumer, there would be no industry. If you don't like his phrasing, oh well, but do you honestly think phrasing is worth arguing?

Around the Network
sundin13 said:
Euphoria14 said:

A.) I ignored it because Hearthstone PC =/= Hearthstone iOS.  The iOS version is widely considered the superior version even without metascore being taken into account.

A) Well, from what I've seen of Hearthstone, they are pretty much equivalent on both PC and iOS...my point stands (although I don't really know the context of your original discussion with tbone).

B) GDC is interesting for what it is, but as an actual GOTY award system, I don't think they hold much merit and I think that after last year's pathetic and disgusting showing, any merit they may have held is gone. However, there is a difference between the involvement of companies making business decisions as to what games should win and respected industry members convening and talking about what they think is influencial and important in the industry. Its really just what degree of cynicism you hold as to whether or not one is acceptable and the other is not...

C/D) I'm not trying to base everything on metascore, I'm just saying that certain factors that come into GOTY nominations probably shouldn't come into those nominations and the differences between reviews and nominations sometimes makes that clear. As I said, often certain genres of games, like fighting games get the short end of the stick when it comes to GOTY for no real reason. Also, I think its pretty clear that handheld games are generally assigned less worth in GOTY awards...just looking at all of the GOTY award winners from every major western game site since 2001, only once did a handheld game win a GOTY award and Fighting games have won zero GOTY awards since 2001. About a month ago there was a thread here about the potential for Smash to get GOTY and a ton of the comments said "it wont happen because Smash is a fighting game"...I find that quite interesting. 

"Leaving it out because it's a Nintendo game? ": Wait, isn't that exactly what you were saying though? You said it wasn't there because another Nintendo game (Bayo 2) was already there, therefore, it was excluded for being a Nintendo game. I think you misunderstood me here...

E) About the industry thing, you are really just debating semantics. I think it is blatantly clear what tbone meant, and it has been explained multiple times. If you disagree with the way he said it, well that just seems petty...The consumer are the ones who decide when a game is good and without the consumer, there would be no industry. If you don't like his phrasing, oh well, but do you honestly think phrasing is worth arguing?

I disagree with it because I do not believe a customer is part of the gaming industry as all we do is purchase, just like how I don't consider some rich person who buys a Spirit Aerosystems G-650 jet a part of the Aersospace industry. You and TBone disagree and that is fine, but by definition my view is still completely valid. Calling it petty doesn't change that. I just rather state things as they are.

The conversation with TBone really began with Ninsect, where they argued about where PersonaQ falls in terms of highest rated games on the year. TBone kept adding rules to discredit specific titles. He eventually began discrediting games altogether due to "not having enough review scores". I said Hearthstone because it scored high, people here seem to hate mobile and well, because it's a fantastic game.

What happened at GDC? Anyways, what cynicism? I don't try to say what is acceptable and what is not. To me a game is a game. Whether it had a lot of reviews, a few reviews, a port, remake, mobile, it doesn't matter. I'm a bit confused. Likely because we have so many topics at discussion.

GoTY debate. It is obvious that people here believe there is some sort of bias. This is the way it always goes, regardless of fanbase. Everyone always thinks there is bias against something they prefer. Yes, handhelds tend to get the short end of the stick when it comes to GoTY, but it is nice to see right now a handheld/mobile game being placed in there. So that's a start right? It has good reason too, 20M users within 6 months. Game is super popular. People hate this new award show, but believe me if Bayonetta wins GoTY, Smash wins handheld game of the year and Nintendo wins developer of the year you will see Nintendo fans making threads about it. They will eventually change their tune, just like they did after hating IGN last gen, only to see IGN give Galaxy the title of Game of the Generation. Although as I said, this isn't Nintendo fan exclusive as it happens on all sides. People hate on something until it goes their way.

"Leaving it out because it's a Nintendo game? ": Wait, isn't that exactly what you were saying though? You said it wasn't there because another Nintendo game (Bayo 2) was already there, therefore, it was excluded for being a Nintendo game. I think you misunderstood me here..."

I read that as you trying to say a specific game was ignored due to being made by Nintendo. Yes ,maybe I misunderstood, but with the amount of claims around here of the industry and the media holding some sort of anti-Nintendo bias it is easy to understand why that may have been the case.

Anyways I am sure I have taken this thread off-topic enough. Please feel free to continue the discussion on one of our walls. I will be retiring from this thread. 

Currently playing:

naruball said:

Flawed  logic. The ps2 reached 157m by pretty much the end of the ps3 generation. No game launched to an 157m install base. What's important is how many owners are still using their consoles and buying games. Sheer hardware numbers mean nothing, hence psp selling like crap in terms of software years before the vita even launched. 

You have a point but using 157m is just all sorts of wrong. 

Not flawed logic, just an arguably inaccurate number. But okay, let's use 93 million Wiis, that was in 2011 before the floor fell out beneath Wii sales, and furthermore, it's on a Nintendo system, more relevant to the audience of Hyrule Warriors. With it's current attach rate, that's 6.45 million sales. Attach rate for Hyrule Warriors will go down however, so lets say Wii U lifetime sales are 15 million and Hyrule Warriors gets no more sales. That halves the attach rate. Even with half the attach rate, on Wii's 2011 sales of 93 million that's 3.22 million. But let's go back a year, to 2010, Wii still has a lot of life left, install base is at 82 million. Using the same math, that's 5.69 million sales at current attach rate and 2.84 million at the halved attach rate. Let's go back further, 2009. Year of New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Wii Sports Resort. Run the math again and you end up with 4.51 million based on current attach rate and 2.25 million based on the halved one. And keep in mind that halved one is based on what the attach rate would be if Wii U doubled it's sales from here on out despite people saying it's at its peak now, and on Hyrule Warriors not selling a single copy more.

Fussing over a single number is unimportant. The point is Hyrule Warriors did damn well based on the size of its install base, and it's almost certainly becaues there are a bunch of Zelda characters in it. The Warriors series would never have done this well on Wii U without a strong IP to help support it, so yes, Warriors games with good supporting crossover IPs are going to sell better than the mainline games. We saw something similar happen last gen with One Piece Pirate Warriors topping the mainline Warriors games on PS3.

HylianSwordsman said:
naruball said:

Flawed  logic. The ps2 reached 157m by pretty much the end of the ps3 generation. No game launched to an 157m install base. What's important is how many owners are still using their consoles and buying games. Sheer hardware numbers mean nothing, hence psp selling like crap in terms of software years before the vita even launched. 

You have a point but using 157m is just all sorts of wrong. 

Not flawed logic, just an arguably inaccurate number. But okay, let's use 93 million Wiis, that was in 2011 before the floor fell out beneath Wii sales, and furthermore, it's on a Nintendo system, more relevant to the audience of Hyrule Warriors. With it's current attach rate, that's 6.45 million sales. Attach rate for Hyrule Warriors will go down however, so lets say Wii U lifetime sales are 15 million and Hyrule Warriors gets no more sales. That halves the attach rate. Even with half the attach rate, on Wii's 2011 sales of 93 million that's 3.22 million. But let's go back a year, to 2010, Wii still has a lot of life left, install base is at 82 million. Using the same math, that's 5.69 million sales at current attach rate and 2.84 million at the halved attach rate. Let's go back further, 2009. Year of New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Wii Sports Resort. Run the math again and you end up with 4.51 million based on current attach rate and 2.25 million based on the halved one. And keep in mind that halved one is based on what the attach rate would be if Wii U doubled it's sales from here on out despite people saying it's at its peak now, and on Hyrule Warriors not selling a single copy more.

Fussing over a single number is unimportant. The point is Hyrule Warriors did damn well based on the size of its install base, and it's almost certainly becaues there are a bunch of Zelda characters in it. The Warriors series would never have done this well on Wii U without a strong IP to help support it, so yes, Warriors games with good supporting crossover IPs are going to sell better than the mainline games. We saw something similar happen last gen with One Piece Pirate Warriors topping the mainline Warriors games on PS3.

Is it really that hard for people to admit that they made a mistake? Just admit it and move on. At any rate, I already said that I agree with your main point. You don't have to explain it any further. Install base surely makes a significant difference.

Hm. Persona 4 Golden score a 93 on Meta and it wasn't considered GOTY contender. So this one won't either.

gooch_destroyer said:
Hm. Persona 4 Golden score a 93 on Meta and it wasn't considered GOTY contender. So this one won't either.

most gaming sites dont put in remasters/ports as GoTY. Like LoZ previous year was the same (94), no nominees