By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation 4 sold 1 million units to customers in Germany

JazzB1987 said:
walsufnir said:
Expected and deserved given how much money Sony spends here and generally in Europe. They managed to make Playstation the one name for gaming.

How is this deserved thanks to Sony spending money? There is not even half as many commercials as there were during the PS3 era.  It even feels like microsoft is having more commercials than Sony. There is no flyers in shops or anything.

Or are you talking about the Metro Group "confusion" deal? 

Even Sony does not know why the console sells so much. It just does (word of mouth)

I am talking about commercials who intentionally leave out Xbone versions. Or poster ads I saw this morning for GTAV with only PS4 beneath. This just adds to the name Sony has since PS1. It's a factor you can't ignore over many years. Sony managed to give Playstation the image of the one and only gaming machine in Germany, since many, many years. And ads add to this, of course. Effective marketing (that doesn't mean it's the only factor in this, of course. Playstation consoles were and are a good place for gamers in general).

Around the Network

Speaking as a person born & living in germany, there is utterly no competition here for the PlayStation 4.
Germany hates Microsoft products in general and after the xbox one disaster with the always on, snooping around etc... they screwed up really bad over here cause you know the germans and their privacy, damaging their mostly non existing reputation even more..and let me not start on the wii u which flopped over here too. Currently the only good selling consoles in germany are the Ps4 & 3DS.

walsufnir said:
JazzB1987 said:
walsufnir said:
Expected and deserved given how much money Sony spends here and generally in Europe. They managed to make Playstation the one name for gaming.

How is this deserved thanks to Sony spending money? There is not even half as many commercials as there were during the PS3 era.  It even feels like microsoft is having more commercials than Sony. There is no flyers in shops or anything.

Or are you talking about the Metro Group "confusion" deal? 

Even Sony does not know why the console sells so much. It just does (word of mouth)

I am talking about commercials who intentionally leave out Xbone versions. Or poster ads I saw this morning for GTAV with only PS4 beneath. This just adds to the name Sony has since PS1. It's a factor you can't ignore over many years. Sony managed to give Playstation the image of the one and only gaming machine in Germany, since many, many years. And ads add to this, of course. Effective marketing (that doesn't mean it's the only factor in this, of course. Playstation consoles were and are a good place for gamers in general).

Not that I disagree with what you're saying, but exclusive marketing deals are something Microsoft started and they are still doing this gen, most recently with COD and AC, with only Xbox mentioned on paper ads or at the end of a commercial. And nobody seems to care.

But, then, when Sony does it, it is always specifically called out that it "intentionally leaves out XBone versions". That's what a marketing deal is for, right? But I've only seen this type of comment when it's a Sony marketed game. That "pretend exclusive" nonsense even caught on for a bit because of Sony and Destiny. And Microsoft themselves threw a hissyfit and made that Destiny Fragrance ad, all the while saying "hey, Destiny is coming to Xbox. We just can't say that".  

I'm not trying to rile any feathers and have a big back and forth. I just find it odd that MS marketing deals are just par for the course, but when we talk about Watch_Dogs, Destiny, and now GTAV, it's brought up that Sony is "deceiving customers" (you didn't say this, but others have) by making them think "only one version exists" or "a multiplatform game is exclusive".....because a Sony ad doesn't mention Microsoft.

BMaker11 said:

Not that I disagree with what you're saying, but exclusive marketing deals are something Microsoft started and they are still doing this gen, most recently with COD and AC, with only Xbox mentioned on paper ads or at the end of a commercial. And nobody seems to care.

But, then, when Sony does it, it is always specifically called out that it "intentionally leaves out XBone versions". That's what a marketing deal is for, right? But I've only seen this type of comment when it's a Sony marketed game. That "pretend exclusive" nonsense even caught on for a bit because of Sony and Destiny. And Microsoft themselves threw a hissyfit and made that Destiny Fragrance ad, all the while saying "hey, Destiny is coming to Xbox. We just can't say that".  

I'm not trying to rile any feathers and have a big back and forth. I just find it odd that MS marketing deals are just par for the course, but when we talk about Watch_Dogs, Destiny, and now GTAV, it's brought up that Sony is "deceiving customers" (you didn't say this, but others have) by making them think "only one version exists" or "a multiplatform game is exclusive".....because a Sony ad doesn't mention Microsoft.

At bold: No, Sony started this in Germany. I can only talk about Germany, of course. I don't say it's good or bad, it's just spending money to intentionally leave out the competition. This is up to everybosdy to judge.

Btw, I think I can remember a COD ad in Germany only mentioning Xbone but this doesn't change anything here, we are a lost case

Microsoft - Hey we shipped 84M X360's.....vgchartz adjusts.
Microsoft - Hey, our sales tripled in the US....vgchartz triples weekly US numbers.

Sony - Hey we "sold 10M to customers world wide".....vgchartz doesn't adjust accordingly
Sony - Hey we "sold 1M to customers in Germany alone".....vgchartz says, nope, it's shipped...

This is just getting pathetic now..

Around the Network
Blood_Tears said:
Microsoft - Hey, our sales tripled in the US....vgchartz triples weekly US numbers.

Sony - Hey we "sold 10M to customers world wide".....vgchartz doesn't adjust accordingly
Sony - Hey we "sold 1M to customers in Germany alone".....vgchartz says, nope, it's shipped...

Actually it's more "if Sony is to be trusted".

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Blood_Tears said:

Please understand

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

AMAAAAAZING!!!

KazumaKiryu said:
AMAAAAAZING!!!

MULTIBALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daisy said:

Speaking as a person born & living in germany, there is utterly no competition here for the PlayStation 4.
Germany hates Microsoft products in general and after the xbox one disaster with the always on, snooping around etc... they screwed up really bad over here cause you know the germans and their privacy, damaging their mostly non existing reputation even more..and let me not start on the wii u which flopped over here too. Currently the only good selling consoles in germany are the Ps4 & 3D

wow respect to all you Germans. if only everyone was like that the world would be a better place! My country heavily chooses the PS4 but not too many people did it for those reasons. Here they just picked the better games console. I doubt the spying and DRM would have affected them if the PS4 had it. Sad really. 

Fanboys