By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Interstellar.... OMG. go watch the movie NOW. *SPOILERS INSIDE*

nanarchy said:
Ninsect said:
nanarchy said:
I saw Interstellar on the weekend, man it sucked. So many plot holes, physics fails and scenes and story that was excessively dragged out. Reminded me of Gravity (but not 'quite' as bad). It seems they took multiple movie plots and slammed them together without much thought to how it would work.

Like what?

Not going to go into them all, but some of the obvious fails and plot holes.

1. a planet with waves of that height would have such massive tidal forces at play that it would tear the planet apart.

2. When working out which planet to visit first they don't bother to include the 7 years in their calculation as time to visit the planet and decide it is the closest, it is actually the furthest away scientifically and the most expensive to visit and hence would have been done last.

3. The total retard moment of her on the planet trying to retrieve data which is obviously useless as the planet has damn giant waves on it. cliche moment which reminded me of the moron scientists in prometheus.

4. If there was a blight on earth wiping out crops space would not be the option humans would be spending their time on, We can already create domes with sealed environments on earth for food production. You could easily and more economically produce sealed environments many times the size of any space station that could be created.

5. Why the hell was mann trying to kill them and steal the ship. Once at the planet all he had to do was say, oops I lied, now they have to go to the next planet with him, completely idiotic story line.

6. how could they possibly even approach the event horizon of a black hole, they would have been completely crushed by the gravitational forces long before getting even close let alone try to cross the event horizon and send signals out.

7. Whether it was humans in the future or aliens the concept that they were smart enough to create 5 dimensional representation of space yet still needed to bring him there to talk to his daughter in the past was just dumb.

1. Eh, I am going to need to see the science behind that. 

2. I'm pretty sure they talked about the 7 years point.

3. I'll give you that, but she was emotional which completely destroys reason much of the time.

4. The epitome of nitpicking imo. There would've been no movie in that case lol. Some liberties need to be taken to make movies...

5. He explains that himself. He doesn't want them to find out he was selfish (he sent the signal despite the planet not being inhabitable). He only wanted to save himself after such a long time on the planet. Do you know how you'd feel after so many years alone on a distant planet?

6. Hmm, how close did they go? It wasn't really mentioned.

7. You mean it made a plot possible...come on, again, this is nitpicking to the extreme. I don't see how that is dumb either since even though they can perhaps manipulate the 5 dimensions they won't be able to bring him to the past...that's a different matter.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
Ninsect said:
Chris Hu said:
Well as long as Matthew McConaughey gets another best actor Oscar nomination out of this I will be happy. Once more people have seen it and re watched it I'm thinking it will settle below a 8.5/10 on imdb its currently at 9.0/10.

No chance of that. 9.0 with ~200k ratings already. It will go down to 8.7 at worst.

It will go down below 8.5 eventually it just going to take longer since it already has a lot of votes.

Nope I don't see it. Still 9.0 with 211k votes. The audience really loved the film, it's not going to go down that much.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

my favorite movie moment of the year

discovery channel Interstellar science

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

kljesta64 said:

Soo good. *goosebumps*

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

I agree with OP.
amazing movie

Around the Network
Ninsect said:
kljesta64 said:

Soo good. *goosebumps*

Agreed, although that scene didn't make much sense in retrospect, definite goosebumps in IMAX. I want this movie at home asap, the sound was a bit too loud in IMAX, it all started to melt together.

nanarchy said:
Ninsect said:
nanarchy said:
I saw Interstellar on the weekend, man it sucked. So many plot holes, physics fails and scenes and story that was excessively dragged out. Reminded me of Gravity (but not 'quite' as bad). It seems they took multiple movie plots and slammed them together without much thought to how it would work.

Like what?

a planet with waves of that height would have such massive tidal forces at play that it would tear the planet apart.

This is not true. http://ikjyotsinghkohli24.wordpress.com/2014/11/07/on-the-science-of-interstellar/

Why the hell was mann trying to kill them and steal the ship. Once at the planet all he had to do was say, oops I lied, now they have to go to the next planet with him, completely idiotic story line.

He was mentally unstable. That is all that needs to be said. 

how could they possibly even approach the event horizon of a black hole, they would have been completely crushed by the gravitational forces long before getting even close let alone try to cross the event horizon and send signals out.

The black hole was 100 million times more massive than the sun and rotating. Tidal forces are not that simple in this case. Remember, tidal forces are caused by potential differences. It is very well possible that the potential difference at the event horizon (which is a mathematical boundary, not a physical object) is stable enough to not be torn apart, especially for a rotating supermassive black-hole. Physicists even speculate that there are ultramassive black-holes with entire solar-systems located passed their inner event horizons (kerr black holes have two event horizons) with stable orbits. 

kljesta64 said:

I loved that moment !! I was litteraly holding my seat, so good, so strong.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Aerys said:
kljesta64 said:

I loved that moment !! I was litteraly holding my seat, so good, so strong.

those 4 minutes felt like an hour for me

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

sc94597 said:
nanarchy said:

a planet with waves of that height would have such massive tidal forces at play that it would tear the planet apart.

This is not true. http://ikjyotsinghkohli24.wordpress.com/2014/11/07/on-the-science-of-interstellar/

I was just reading through the comment section of that article. Fascinating discussions I can hardly understand half of. I didn't know about Kerr black holes before this movie or that there were so many competing mathematical and astrophysical theories about them. Too bad the comment section closed just when they started hammering the guy on what would actually be needed to get off the planet back to 'normal' time.

It's still a dumb decision to even look at that planet as a viable site. One more point, even if it was a suitable planet, they would have hardly started unpacking the first shuttle before the rest of plan 'A' people would start showing up. Massive traffic jam due to time dilation! Not very suitable for plan B either when any dangerous outside event now occurs 60.000 times more often. A 100 years would be over 6 million 'outside' years. That's a lot of possible comet strikes.

It was a plot device in the end. They needed the time to go away quickly. They could have visited a couple planets instead with long hypersleep journeys. This was more original, faster and more flashy/messy. Plus it got people talking about Kerr black holes.