By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Holiday Commercial

The commecial is....

Great! 65 46.43%

Meh.... 42 30.00%

It sucks! 21 15.00%

What did I just watch... 11 7.86%

Total:139

Wii U is a family console guys. Nintendo is not going to win marketing against Sony/MS for the hardcore, not with this system. 

Not when they don't even have this year's COD, Destiny, Shadow of Mordor, Ass Creed, NBA 2K or any of the other core IP that demographic wants.

Now whether or not Nintendo was smart in making a "family" console is a different discussion I think, but at this point it's not like they can change it. They gotta market what they got and Mario Kart is their most wide appealling title and the main pack-in game. 

At least this year's ad shows an "adult" playing the system and the dad actually looks like a regular cool dude, not someone from 1989 who's never played a video game before. 

It's better than last year's spots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fxQx7ZT-5k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD4qU0HCo40

The Agassi one was OK though. 

And just for flashback sake, here's Nintendo (post) holiday ad from 1998/1999:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1xK11PE5jI

Around the Network

It is an improvement, I will give you that. But people I think vastly underestimate the power of good marketing. The difference between "kiddy" and "core" is often as simple as a color or a marketing misstep (GameCube). Nothing *makes* the Wii U a "family" console other than Nintendo keeps making it out to be one in their commercials. It is certainly compatible with the "family gaming" concept with a lot of local multiplayer options, but if that makes it "family" than most consoles have been "family" :P

Also, many of these "family" orriented commercials make the console look like an embarassing device to own.  Which means the minors of the house (kids, teens, etc) don't want it.  And the parents aren't going to go out and buy stuff their family actively opposes them purchasing; this is an entertainment device.  It has to be made to look desirable. 

Ugh tired of these commercials making Wii U look like the "YAYAYYAYA FAMILY FUN CONSOLE :D :D RAINBOWS EVERY WHERE AGES 4 AND UP FUN FUN FUN"

Nuvendil said:
It is an improvement, I will give you that. But people I think vastly underestimate the power of good marketing. The difference between "kiddy" and "core" is often as simple as a color or a marketing misstep (GameCube). Nothing *makes* the Wii U a "family" console other than Nintendo keeps making it out to be one in their commercials. It is certainly compatible with the "family gaming" concept with a lot of local multiplayer options, but if that makes it "family" than most consoles have been "family" :P

Have you ever considered that Nintendo actually likes and wants the family/kids-console stigma? Because they constantly renforce it. 

Their first console ever was literally called the "Family Computer", Nintendo won't divorce themselves from the "family console" concept. 

Soundwave said:
Nuvendil said:

Have you ever considered that Nintendo actually likes and wants the family/kids-console stigma? Because they constantly renforce it. 

Their first console ever was literally called the "Family Computer", Nintendo won't divorce themselves from the "family console" concept. 

They don't have to divorce but they have to diversify.

And it's also their method for targeting the family.  Rather than emphasizing they bring something to the table for everyone, they target one small subset in the most pandering way possible.  Which makes their device look so embarrassing to own that most of the family doesn't want it.  So as a result, their "family orriented ads" accomplish nothing for any demographic.

Around the Network

eh its ok. they need to advertise for all markets not just the family setting.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
Nuvendil said:
Soundwave said:
Nuvendil said:

They don't have to divorce but they have to diversify.

And it's also their method for targeting the family.  Rather than emphasizing they bring something to the table for everyone, they target one small subset in the most pandering way possible.  Which makes their device look so embarrassing to own that most of the family doesn't want it.  So as a result, their "family orriented ads" accomplish nothing for any demographic.

I'm not saying I disagree with that, but that's the system they made -- a family-oriented console. They don't have any of the big third party IP that core gamers would want so Nintendo can't market to them, they have no credibility with that audience. 

At least with the family crowd, Mario Kart, Mario, and all the other family friendly Nintendo IP still has some potential sway. I guess Nintendo's grabbing onto whatever they can since it's not a great situation with the Wii U to begin with. 

Moms/dads still look at Nintendo as the wholesome, fun family company. I remember when I was reading about that angry mom who got the Breaking Bad toys banned from Toys R' Us (lol) she specifically said something like "how can you sell these types of toys next to wholesome good kids brands like Barbie and Super Mario?". 

I think its a fine commercial. No commercial will convince any of us to buy the system. If you do, your really weak minded. Would think you woudl know enough about the Wii u to buy or not to buy.

But its christmas season. The buyers are the MOM's. And know what mom's love. Doing shit with their family. Can't tell you how many random family card/board/ect games we have at my parents house because my mom buys 1-2 new ones each year hoping to play it with us all when were home. So she spend like 20-30 for one night of fun. We never play it again and get a new game the next year.

Now if your in your mid 20's or older you will notice the change to your facebook. No longer do you see hot girls, fun parties, your drunk friends, ect. It's just babies and young kids you have no idea who they are cluttering up your feed. House parties now are always asked if they are "kid friendly". It really is annoying for a non married guy in his late 20's.

I can totally see my fiends with family's buying a wii u due to commercials like this. Because they want to do stuff with their kids. Not cause the kids ask them for it, or the kids want to do stuff with their parents. But the parents want to do stuff with their kids. And our generation is more video game firendly than our paretns, so they are more apt to buy a system for their kids than mine ever were.

Though in the same sense a lot of my friends who have kids are getting super weird and cutting out like gluten or not getting their kids vaccines, ect. So wouldn't be surprised if they didn't let hteir kids watch tv or play games either.

Nintendo did market to teenagers a lot in the 90s, but I think they've basically conceded that audience to Sony/MS now. They don't even try to market to this crowd with their traditional marketing.

Doesn't even come close to coming close to this.

Oooohh yeaaah!!