By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'll take Zelda And Mario over Call of Duty, Reggie says.

I agree with the topic though. I'd rather have Mario and Zelda than Call of Duty. I'd rather have Mario or Zelda than Call of Duty actually.

However, I'd rather have Dragon Age Inquisition than Mario and Zelda. I'd rather have Bloodborne than Mario and Zelda. I'd rather have LBP3 than Mario and Zelda. I'd rather have the plethora of next gen titles available on the PS4 and/or Xbox One than I'd rather have the first party titles on a Nintendo platform. Nintendo has quality products, but I can do without, and there are many other games I'd rather play than play Nintendo games.

Around the Network

Well, looking at home console sales, I think people prefer CoD (I'm not saying that I agree, but those are cold hard facts).

Nintendo is the hipster console. People liked it because it wasn't mainstream, then it blew up and hit mainstream and they ditched it. They are like, I used to like Nintendo before they sold out and went mainstream. Give it time and the cycle will continue. lol

Seece said:
Deeds said:
Seece said:
Deeds said:

PR? It doesnt sound like PR. It sounds like he is giving [particularly western] third party devs a scolding, letting them know, "We dont need you." *EDIT* Which is somewhat strange because Nintendo never needed them. Maybe he is frustrated at being asked the same thing over and over.

Sales would suggest WiiU and Nintendo need third parties badly.

The previous generation's winner and the fact that Nintendo is [now] swimming in money proves otherwise.

They didn't need third party then, that is not now is it?

The Wii may not have had a lot of 3rd party support outside of shovelware but compared to the Wii u, the Wii had a time more quality 3rd party support -   Also it looks like the 360 has sold more software last gen (if you counted digital ) and the PS3 is catching up so both either have or will sell more software than the Wii 

Good ol Reggie, always rustling people's jimmies!

Around the Network

Exceptionally well put, Reggie.

Deeds said:
bananaking21 said:
Deeds said:
Seece said:

Sales would suggest WiiU and Nintendo need third parties badly.

The previous generation's winner and the fact that Nintendo is [now] swimming in money proves otherwise.

you realize WiiU is on track to be nintendo's worst selling home console ever, and 3ds is on track to be the lowest selling nintendo handheld ever, right? (not sure what Virtual Boy is considered)

(1) The generation isn't over yet.

(2) Nintendo is making money.

(3) Nintendo is making money without third party multiplats.

It's pretty simple logic really.

Even Iwata would not/has not agreed w your assessment-  Nimtemso has a lot of cash and they will need it-  they have been going in reverse the last 4 years-  this fiscal year and next should be their big money making years for the life cycle s of the Wii U and 3DS but they will struggle tomale profit this year and probably next as well- they may make some but not much - they have lost huge market share and their stock is close to a 52 week low-  and massively off it highs - so only a less than objective person would claim Nintendo is doing well now or has in the last 4+ years

i only own Nintendo consoles and I want them to do well but pretending otherwise or enabling them as a fan does not help 

Ljink96 said:
Nintendo is different and that's why they are still around. They aren't afraid to be different and they still make a ton of money without as much 3rd party support. Nintendo is in their own world in their own genre and they're making dollars and cents like no other. Some would say Reggie is cocky but the premise is still valid: Nintendo knows what they're doing is best for their company. Yeah, anyone can make a big dinosaur console that plays FPS and Ubisoft games but how boring would that be? Nintendo keeps the industry different, and I'm okay with that.

I see that way too. Besides, I don´t believe that Nintendo cares so much with 3rd party games by now, specially after the Rayman Legends episode. Otherwise they would do like they did in the GC days and put lots of money on developers so they would agree in making a version of their games for WiiU. It´s clear now that they prefer to spent money on partnerships for exclusive games, like Devil´s Third or Xenoblade Saga or Bayonetta 2, than on shared content.

As far as the situation goes, as long as they´re having some profit they will be glad.

torok said:
Well, looking at home console sales, I think people prefer CoD (I'm not saying that I agree, but those are cold hard facts).

True, and because it's their opinion, maybe we shouldn't be harsh to them.

Just maybe. :P

pokoko said:
If Nintendo had CoD, he'd be bragging about that. This is part of his job. He provides the kool-aid; some people drink it, some don't. He only wants a "differentiated experience" because he has no choice in the matter. It's stupid, it really is, but I don't blame him for spinning, I blame those who spin along with him because they want to believe.

You are never better off for having LESS games. That makes no sense. If you're one of those people who say, "yeah, Nintendo is awesome because they don't have the same third party titles as Sony and Microsoft," then stop it right now. Casting that as some kind of positive is ludicrous. It would still be the same Nintendo console, only with more variety.

If Netflix decided to remove every movie or show that was also on another video service in an effort to offer a "differentiated experience", would you cheer that, too?

Of course, the funny part is that both Sony and Microsoft will have exclusives AND third party games. No one can gloss over that without making themselves look silly. Uncharted and Halo, among many other titles, will offer plenty of differentiation.

Very well said-  why anyone says otherwise is beyond me-  I only have Wii/wiiU home consoles and I would very much like more options-  who in their right mind wants less?