By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xblade Chronicles X and Final Fantasy XV World Sizes

Which Game Will Have the Biggest World?

Xblade Chronicles 253 53.83%

Final Fantasy XV 144 30.64%

See Results 72 15.32%

Total:469
VXIII said:
Materia-Blade said:

I don't recall saying what I think about FF. but how about you talk about the world size?

I did. I mentioned that I think Xenoblade world would be bigger. My reasoning for that is FF XV it focusing on high-end technological methods (the ones I mentioned and others I didn't). But for some reason, I get quoted, and all I see is posts have 0% knowledge of what they're talking about ( the only exception is the_dengle ). My post wasn't about discussing, I was being informative.

Here's more information:  game world total size is independant of those things (minecraft comes to mind).

Around the Network
Materia-Blade said:

Here's more information:  game world total size is independant of those things (minecraft comes to mind).

The resources are always limited to the hardware. There are always compromises. Also, the project as a whole is limited to the budget.

Are you Zero ?

In this thread I learned 2 things:

1. Xenoblade Chronicles X for Wii U will have 5 time the size of the original one and looking good in general (holy sh*it)

2. Bigger is not better. Which I completly agree as this applies to the real world. For example some pieces of hardware have a lot of great specs but nothing worth to use it.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

VXIII said:
the_dengle said:
VXIII said:

So is the weather system. It is not a pattern. A dynamic weather system means the rain dynamically and gradually changing from heavy to soft, while interacting real-time with the other world elements like the wind direction, the look of the textures and so on. Final Fantasy XV Is a clear example to understand those systems better.

I respect your appreciation for this feature but if it was happening in a game I was playing I wouldn't even notice. To me it is a frivolous detail unless it affects the gameplay in some way.

For example, on Dragon Roost Island in Wind Waker there's an area where the wind is constantly (and apparently randomly) changing direction. You have to throw an ally into the wind to progress, meaning you have to pay attention to the wind patterns to time your action right. Is is dynamic or pre-determined? Hell if I know. Probably pre-determined, since if it was truly random there would be a chance (however slim) that the wind would never blow the correct direction even if you waited for hours. So in this case dynamically changing weather would actually be detrimental to the game, because the weather is integrated into the gameplay.

Suppose for the sake of argument that you are playing one version of Wind Waker with dynamic weather in this area and I am playing a version with a pre-set pattern in place, and that despite the odds of this being low, our individual trips through the area contain identical weather patterns (your wind randomly wound up matching my pre-set pattern). Our two experiences are the same, neither of us would be able to tell whether the wind direction was random or not. No matter how technologically complex the programming is in your version compared to mine, it has not impacted the beauty of the game in the slightest. Not even a little bit. If, on the other hand, your version of the game randomly neglects to generate the "correct" wind direction, this fancy dynamic weather has actually tarnished the beauty of the experience.

Dynamic weather likely wouldn't have any ill effect on most games (including XCX and FFXV), but it doesn't automatically improve games, either. It's just a thing a game can have.

I do appreciate the small details, for me they make the experience much more immersive.

The beauty of dynamic systems is that they make the world less predictable, the same location would feel different even if you visit it twice. The dynamic weather system is obviously not a necessity, but it is up to developers to make most of it. Otherwise it wouldn't be different than patterns except in theory.

Yes, in your example, having a pattern is necessary. The dynamic system can be enabled and disabled as the developer see fit (that would probably require a loading time though).

In FF XV dynamic weather system will have different impact on magic spells. Fire wouldn't set enemies on fire during the rain, lightning would have wider impact. The clothes of the characters would appear wet. All small details but I do appreciate them.

Apart from the more accurate representation of weather and light, both X and FFXV seem to be equal in those respects anyway.  And while I do appreciate the look and details, it wouldn't mean mcuh without meaningful impact in the game, and both seem to have this covered in some ways, more or less.  With X, apparently some creatures will come out at night or during rainy weather iirc.  No idea on if skills or mechs or impacted during weather though.

Also in X characters get wet also.  Doesn't seem too many people notice that during the Treehouse preview in the first part both characters were wet until the sun rose.  Granted, it didn't look spectacular but it was there.

Will  FFXV have the characters hair feel wet too, or will they just have that sheen and still use their amazing hair gel?

Also FFXV clocks in at 40 hours I saw on the wiki  Could give a clue as to world size?  Did they mention travel by airship or how long it would take to cross an area?  We can get  good estimate on X based on the previous game, and that the creator said 5x the original world to compensate for X, but I'm not saying many ways to estimate a map size for FFXV.

So can you car go off road?  Or is it a thing of, you park your car and go exploring, because maybe we could use that.

Also a thing to consider, elevation.  Somebody correct me here, but ZI've seen mostly just flatlands of FFXV(I see mountains, but can you go on top of them or ill there just be caves?), but in X when flying in those mechs it looks like there may be lots of mountains and floating islands(rocks?) to scale and go on.  I'm not sure you'll be able to go to those places or if they'll have anything substantial on them though.

Lucas-Rio said:

FF15 will be small compared to Xenoblade, the first one. It will be very small compared to Xenoblade X.

People saying that FF15 will be bigger are deluded, since no FF games have been close to be as big as Xenoblade. FF are not big games. I expect FF15 to be around 30% the size of the first Xenoblade.

I know right? The last FF with an actual world map was 9 and Xenoblade was a hell of a lot bigger than that. If you never played the first Xenoblade you will have no idea how huge the world map was, and im not talking about dungeons and towns. The world map by itself was so huge I never got to finish exploring everything in it. 

Around the Network
TheSpindler said:
VXIII said:

I do appreciate the small details, for me they make the experience much more immersive.

The beauty of dynamic systems is that they make the world less predictable, the same location would feel different even if you visit it twice. The dynamic weather system is obviously not a necessity, but it is up to developers to make most of it. Otherwise it wouldn't be different than patterns except in theory.

Yes, in your example, having a pattern is necessary. The dynamic system can be enabled and disabled as the developer see fit (that would probably require a loading time though).

In FF XV dynamic weather system will have different impact on magic spells. Fire wouldn't set enemies on fire during the rain, lightning would have wider impact. The clothes of the characters would appear wet. All small details but I do appreciate them.

1- Apart from the more accurate representation of weather and light, both X and FFXV seem to be equal in those respects anyway. 

2- Will FFXV have the characters hair feel wet too, or will they just have that sheen and still use their amazing hair gel?

3- Also FFXV clocks in at 40 hours I saw on the wiki  Could give a clue as to world size?  Did they mention travel by airship or how long it would take to cross an area?  We can get  good estimate on X based on the previous game, and that the creator said 5x the original world to compensate for X, but I'm not saying many ways to estimate a map size for FFXV.

4- So can you car go off road?  Or is it a thing of, you park your car and go exploring, because maybe we could use that.

1- They are not equal though, especially how heavy and demanding some of the systems. the most impact they do is to add to the world a sense of randomness to simulate the real-word. They are never meant to affect the core gameplay mechanics significantly.

2- Seems not

3- The main story takes 40 hours according to the director. No mentioned of airship since the game re-revealed. I think what you mentioned is a good indicator that the world of X would indeed be bigger in size. 

4- Yes, the latest trailer shows driving off-road.

Your mom is bigger than Xenoblade and FFXV combined!

amarite!? High Five!!

Nintendo and PC gamer

VXIII said:
TheSpindler said:
VXIII said:

1- Apart from the more accurate representation of weather and light, both X and FFXV seem to be equal in those respects anyway. 

2- Will FFXV have the characters hair feel wet too, or will they just have that sheen and still use their amazing hair gel?

3- Also FFXV clocks in at 40 hours I saw on the wiki  Could give a clue as to world size?  Did they mention travel by airship or how long it would take to cross an area?  We can get  good estimate on X based on the previous game, and that the creator said 5x the original world to compensate for X, but I'm not saying many ways to estimate a map size for FFXV.

4- So can you car go off road?  Or is it a thing of, you park your car and go exploring, because maybe we could use that.

1- They are not equal though, especially how heavy and demanding some of the systems. the most impact they do is to add to the world a sense of randomness to simulate the real-word. They are never meant to affect the core gameplay mechanics significantly.

2- Seems not

3- The main story takes 40 hours according to the director. No mentioned of airship since the game re-revealed. I think what you mentioned is a good indicator that the world of X would indeed be bigger in size. 

4- Yes, the latest trailer shows driving off-road.

Except they are equal, with the exception of one being more accurate and the other not like I said, unless you have something more substantial to differentiate the two other than accuracy?  And I don't recall the devs saying that the weather in X wasn't random.  So random weather seems to be present in both X and FFXV.  Og I just did a goodle search, and apparently X will have real-time dynamic weather.

Define "significantly.".  Beaacuse weather having an impact on quests, creature mood and behaviour, and whether they appear or not is significant to the gameplay imo, or are you singling out spell effects having an effect in weather?  Because that is significant in the battle system, while both are significant in terms of gameplay.

Is this 40 hours in total, quests included?  Or is it 40 hours to finish the story, outside of quests?  Xenoblade is 60 hours of story correct?  I've seen people claim less.

Ah, so there is off road, thanks, must have missed it.

And yeah I checked, seems X does have the characters getting wet(they have a bit more sheen) seemingly during rain and when coming out of water.  Rocks, some anyway seem to be more wet, not sure.  There hsn't been another rainy scene since the first Treehouse playthrough.  

HollyGamer said:

Square Enix recently shows some impressive engine called earth engine that draw the entire earth in true scale for games 

Any sauce for this? I completely missed this and cannot find anything about it

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

TheSpindler said:

Except they are equal, with the exception of one being more accurate and the other not like I said, unless you have something more substantial to differentiate the two other than accuracy?  And I don't recall the devs saying that the weather in X wasn't random.  So random weather seems to be present in both X and FFXV.  Og I just did a goodle search, and apparently X will have real-time dynamic weather.

Define "significantly.".  Beaacuse weather having an impact on quests, creature mood and behaviour, and whether they appear or not is significant to the gameplay imo, or are you singling out spell effects having an effect in weather?  Because that is significant in the battle system, while both are significant in terms of gameplay.

Is this 40 hours in total, quests included?  Or is it 40 hours to finish the story, outside of quests?  Xenoblade is 60 hours of story correct?  I've seen people claim less.

Ah, so there is off road, thanks, must have missed it.

And yeah I checked, seems X does have the characters getting wet(they have a bit more sheen) seemingly during rain and when coming out of water.  Rocks, some anyway seem to be more wet, not sure.  There hsn't been another rainy scene since the first Treehouse playthrough.  

I could agree to that, but my point that they are not equal when it comes to how heavy and demanding on the resources (which was my answer to the OP ). Do share a source, the footage doesn't reflect that.

"Quests, creature mood and behaviour, and whether they appear" is all related to the lighting (day and night)، which is much more important than the weather system. the weather system in FF has effects on the spells but I wouldn't call that important by any stretch. It is cool though.

40 hours for the main story only. Side quest and exploration are not included.

Yes it can be done by making changes to the textures on the characters models, The first time I saw this work-aound was in the original Uncharted on PS3. It is all about managing the resources wisely.

Edit: to be more clear about how the dynamic weather system adds to the world, when it rains, every object under the rain get wet, not only the characters, even the ground, enemies... etc. In the example below, even when the behemoth hits the ground, the water get spread around its arm. That what it means to have real-time weather system.

Skip to 7:25.