By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that completely surprised you on how good they were...

estebxx said:
HesAPooka said:
Purchased Demon Souls when it first came out and it's still in my top 5 videos games of all time.

The same case here although i  bought it in 2012

And I bought it 2013, and think it is incredible.

Besides Demon Souls is Monster Hunter Tri, never tried MonHun before. And Etrian Odyssey.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Most of my games during ps 1 and 2 because I had zero info.

But if I were to enumerate would be FF IX (my first ff and still best), soul reaver (fantastic world), gran Turismo 1 (in love ever since) and syphon Filter (and though mgs was ugly). And this gen Uncharted (didn't know the pedigree before buying).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Also, Super Mario Galaxy.
I knew the game would be good, but I didn't knew that it'd be THAT good!

the_dengle said:

Couldn't think of anything at first, then I started scrolling through the comments and saw several people saying Xenoblade. Had a "*facepalm* duh" moment.

I hardly knew anything about the game before playing it. I was following Operation Rainfall stuff, knew a little bit about each of the three games, thought they all sounded cool. Even then when I knew Xenoblade was considered the 'best' (or at least the most adamantly requested), I didn't read much more about it than the other two. I signed the petition, promising myself I'd buy all three games if they were ever localized. That in itself is unusual for me, I rarely buy games without doing a great deal of research on them beforehand, especially at full price. But all three were localized, and I bought them all. Xenoblade is probably the best chance I ever took on a game I knew so little about.

Another game that comes to mind is Mario Sunshine. I didn't play this one until some time in the past couple of years. I expected it to be really good but not too hot. First few Shines disappointed even those relatively low expectations. But I kept playing and the game kept getting better and better; by the time I finished I ranked it just a hair below Galaxy and 64. It's an absolutely great game with maybe a dozen or so Shines that just felt stupid. Also, the controls in Sunshine are the best-feeling controls in the series.

Xenoblade doesn't count for me because I did a SHITLOAD of research b4 I bought that one (knew that it was a JRPG, the epic soundtrack, and the immense epic looking world. Hell I even knew about the MONADO before playing it).

I'm surprised Sunshine is even mentioned here. It's usually considered the bastard son of all 3D Mario's. If I ever run into a copy for cheap I'll most likely check it out...

When I first tried Fallout 3 and New Vegas I thought they were clunky wooden shooters and stopped playing them after 30 min. They are wooden but great RPGs none the less.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

just cause 2
gears of war 3
saints row the third
darksiders 2

S.Peelman said:
From the top of my head, there's three I can think of.

God of War 3: Got it from the bargain bin, so I thought I'd give it a chance. I expected it to be fairly cheesy and over the top, but while the latter is still true, it was over the top in a cool way and the game had better than expected mechanics and story. Got Ascension afterwards, but that was a total disappointment and completely failed to hit the mark.

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones: Besides knowing it existed I didn't know anything about the franchise until this game came to 3DS as one of the Ambassador games. I was completely blown away, it's brilliant in a lot of ways. So good even, that it earned it's spot in my Top 50 Best Games list.

Metroid Fusion: Entirely similar to Fire Emblem, I never played the game until it came to 3DS. Contrary to Fire Emblem though, I knew 'Metroid' was good. I never bothered with the game though because I thought the GameBoy Advance and it's games were mediocre. Looking back I have to admit that I missed at least two classics.

God of War 3 is the God of all Hack and Slash games... The ones on the PSP are not too shabby either (many say Chains of Olympus is the best PSP game of all time).

To tell you the truth Fire Emblem Sacred Stones is my 2nd least favorite Fire Emblem. Don't get me wrong it's a GREAT GAME and full of nice characters and a good story. But the Fire Emblem b4 it set the the bar so high I had higher expectations for this game. I rate it an 8.5/10, but if you liked this one you'll love Fire Emblem: Awakening. It plays like Sacred Stones, so I STRONGLY recommend you check it out if you haven't.

And Metroid Fushion was a great game but I rushed to beat it when I was younger. Many Metroid fans say it's the best 2D Metroid of them all (though I think Super Metroid is better ) but it is the best 2d looking Metroid to date. The only thing I didn't like about Fusion is I felt it spoon fed you on where to go next.

I3LuEI3omI3eR said:

Xenoblade doesn't count for me because I did a SHITLOAD of research b4 I bought that one (knew that it was a JRPG, the epic soundtrack, and the immense epic looking world. Hell I even knew about the MONADO before playing it).

I'm surprised Sunshine is even mentioned here. It's usually considered the bastard son of all 3D Mario's. If I ever run into a copy for cheap I'll most likely check it out...

I knew about the titans and the sword that shows the future. Not sure why you consider knowing about the Monado a big deal, since that was even the original title of the game.

Sunshine being put down so often is why I was surprised when it was actually fantastic. Good luck finding it for cheap though... better hope Nintendo has an HD remake on the way...

I lucked out and got mine for about $10 a few years ago. A deal at GameStop (might have had a coupon) -- buy two used games, get one free. Got three games all priced at $15, walked out of the store with Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, and Thousand Year Door for $30!

Tomb Raider. I went with a mindset that the game was going to suck badly, but it didn't. I really liked it.

Kindgdom Hearts I had had low expectations for. Then friends got me to play and I really enjoyed and then I shared it with my family and got 3 members of my famikly to play it all the way through, and 2. BBS and Re chain of memories only a one other family member
Remember Me, I knew nothing of the game got it on plus and never played, tried it at a friends place and got hooked.
Thomas was alone. I think I got it because it was cheap or plus, it's now a game like journey or portal that I enjoy sharing with people in a quick session
there are others I think but I'm blanking