By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that completely surprised you on how good they were...

Final Fantasy 1 on NES, God of War 2, Modern Warfare 2 (first FPS I got addicted to after Goldeneye and Perfect Dark ), Perfect Dark (wow at the secondary use of the weapons)

Around the Network
cheshirescat said:
AZWification said:

Rayman Legends! I was expecting it to be better than Origins, but I wasn't expecting it to be the best damn 2D platformer I have played in ages!

Still haven't gotten around to playing legends yet, but I got that feeling when playing Origins.  Wouldn't have played it if it weren't for ps+ then come to find it's one of the best 2D platformers of all time with one of the all time greatest soundtracks in video games (and typically I couldn't give half a shit about a game's soundtrack).

If you love Origins that much, then you should definitely try Legends! It's 10 times better....... in my opinion at least!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

xenoblade.

Glad to see two games I was thinking of mentioned here already :)

Rayman Legends is so damn good

Vanquish is also awesome

The Fury said:

Just a shame about the story huh? I've played the game though a few times and still confused the hell out of me.

On topic, Dragon Age: Origins. I had no idea what type of game it was, saw a friend play it on PC and thought, it looks okay but nothing special. Borrowed PS3 version from a friend and was hooked ever since (I think because it was very similar to FF12, we need more games of this ilk).

The whole story is just a metaphor for being reincarnated and attaining enlightenment.  I think in Japanese the Arisen is the Enlightened one quite literally. Salvation is the obligatory JRPG reminder that religion isn't the way to enlightenment. Fournival is a parable about putting wealth and possessions above men and how it comes back to us. The Duke is a metaphor for the love of power and prestige over his heart own heart. I mean the man sacrificed his true love for his kingdom and literally forsook his heart amd responssbility as arisen to rule forever.Facing the Seneschal makes it apparent the will to fight and survive is how one makes it to enlightenment. 

Literary analysis aside for me Dragons Dogma story was made of my moment to moment action. It's far more about how I went from cowarding from bandits and wolves in the dark to perfect block staggering raging chimeras by myself. To enjoy the zen of combat and strategy which is the point even the game alludes to in design and cinematic storytelling wise.

TLDR I loved the story and don't think any part of it is a shame.

Around the Network

Elderscrolls Oblivion
Smash Bros
Banjo Kazooie

Xenoblade.

1) FF12 - I initially didn't think I'd get used to the battle system. Great game!
2) Rogue Galaxy - I played it simply because it was a JRPG but it was such an underrated treat!
3) Killzone 2 - I didn't expect to enjoy the game as much as I did.

LA Noire: I bought the game without expecting nothing. It turns out it was a better experience than I was expecting. It has flaws but I even manage to involved my wife in the game which she isn't a gamer in any way or form. It was pretty fun to predict how the crime scenes would ended up.

Demon Souls: The hidden gem of last gen for me. The only thing that I knew about the game was that it was a difficult game especially for those who didn't have any experience with RPG. I was one of them. My first RPG that I have played non stop. The game introduced me to action RPG.

Assassin's Creed 1: This was the first open world game that I had played that didn't have GTA as a name. The combat, different environment, the story made the game enjoyable for me even if it was a little bit repetitive.

COD MW: My first online experience as a gamer. I played for 2 years straight without touching any other game.

Lego city on wii u, it's by far the best Lego game in my opinion. Also virtues last reward on 3ds was one of my favorite games in recent memory.