By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When will we see a new PS controller?

The controller is actually the biggest problem I have with my PS3. It sucks in every possible way.

It wasn't a great controller to begin with, why has it been used on 3 consoles? It is terrible. It could have been improved so much by now.

It's 2008 and sony still has the D-pad as the primary input method, great. The analog sticks are incredibly bad (they feel way too slidy), the buttons are bad (too flat). It's just generally uncomfy as well, the shape doesn't fit in the hands well. Lots of people think it is comfy simply because they have been using it for so long now. However whenever I give a controller to people that don't game often they hate it.

I think it is probably the biggest issue I have with the entire playstation brand. Nintendo constantly improve their controllers. Microsoft went from a horrible controller to one of the best i've ever used. Sony went from good for it's day to outdated but still okish to wow this piece of junk again?

At least Nintendo and MS are trying and getting better and better. While Sony's controller is just stagnating. I would easily rate the PS3 controller as by far the worst this generation. Last generation I would put the Ps2 controller miles behind the GC controller, and probably behind the XBox controller S (the small one), but ahead of the Xbox controller (seriously that thing was a joke)

If the PS4 comes out and has the same controller again I will go nuts X.x

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Around the Network

I hate the PS controller it makes my hands cramp the S controller on Xbox and the 360 pad I loved

Also enjoyed hte Wavebird and DC pad but I would not doubt the next PS controller is similar to Wii's

They don't need to change it and I see no reason too. What's the point in being like the Wiis, when they can do their own take on it? It's layout is great for most games I play and it has alot of features ill in that one package.

Hmm, pie.

ive always loved the ps controllers. their sexy.

the 360 controller is to biig for my liking.

bring back the boomerang cotroller as as optional controller

for some reason i think that it will be the same
unless sony really thinks that the blue tooth from the wii
is a good step for them as welll

but i think it will stay the same

Around the Network

The layout is fine, although some people think the analog and d-pad should be swapped. For me, it's the grip design that I can't stand. The handles are almost completely worthless, and they have been ever since the analog sticks were haphazardly slapped onto the original PSX controller. I have to grip the DualShock like an owl clutching a mouse.

The boomerang controller probably would have solved that problem, but look where that ended up. As stubborn as they are, I just can't see Sony sticking with this design for another generation. My bet is that they'll go with a wiimote-esque split controller style, but improved like most of the innovations they've lifted from Nintendo have been.

One other little thing -- I haven't used it that much yet, but I like the PS3's analog sticks better than the PS2's. I always thought the DS2's sticks were much too tight.

I hate the Sixaxis. It was cool in 1997 but progress has been made since then.

The left analog needs to be moved. Badly. There is no reason to have the d-pad take priority over the analog now that only fighting games use the d-pad more often than an analog.

The triggers suck ass for racing games. Compared to the 360, the ability to minutely control the triggers/throttle isn't there at all. Convex triggers are stupid, stupid, stupid. Your fingers want to slip off the triggers all the time.

D-pad is good, much better than the 360s. Just move it to a secondary position.

Nothing irritates me more than using the Sixaxis and feeling my thumbs smack together as I push both analogs in at each other.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

That's another thing I forgot to mention, the analog sticks don't provide enough resistance or thumb grip, nor enough accuracy compared to competing sticks. Has anyone ever tried to play Super Monkey Ball on the PS2? It's practically unplayable compared to the Gamecube version.

I don't like the PS3 controller much, it hurts after like an hou or more of play, and the pads feel way off like they are going to break, and the triggers really piss me off too.

I think they should make a new design with thicker handles or something, the Xbox 360 has a great comfy controller, but it has no motion (Which i never use), it all depends, its all preference.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

If they do ever it will probably happen next generation but only then its only because of the Wii. I think they may stick with their current look just for the sake of tradition and how it is the symbol of playstation kind of.

PC Gamer