By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When will we see a new PS controller?

konnichiwa said:
Well Sony wanted to innovate their controllers (Remember the boomerang one?).

Pity that gamers hated it , the only thing that was good about it is that if you were mad and you throw your controler away it came back..

If the boomerang was the best they could come up with... then they should just stick to copying.  :P

Look, I have a PS2.  But the only games that I have for it are games that could either be played with a NES controller (R-Type Final, Gradius V), or games that I play with a unique controller (Guitar Hero 1&2, Gran Turismo 3&4 with a Logitech Driving Force Pro).  The controller sucks.  Period.  It has the worst grip design of any standard controller that has ever had grips.  It has the least accurate analog sticks of any standard controller, with the left one being in the wrong position.  It has the worst button naming scheme in the entire history of button naming schemes, and it has the worst durability compared to other controllers of its generation.  I own 4 Gamecube controllers that I bought when the Gamecube was released.  They are all in near perfect condition, and they get used far more often than my two Dualshock controllers, which are three years younger and have sticking buttons and plastic casings that sound like they're getting brittle.

I don't understand how a company so concerned with being on the cutting edge of technology can't invest a little more R&D into their controller design.  The way you interface with the console is the entire point!  Nintendo has understood this for more than 20 years; when will Sony catch up?

Around the Network

I think the controller is fine as is. The R2/L2 buttons felt a little weird at first, especially coming from the XBox360 controller, but I got used to them.  I would almost rather they not move the left analog stick from it's current position.

As long as their fans don't ask it, they won't try something new.

So probably never.

Naraku_Diabolos said:

Lol, which third party developers did they steal? They all came to Sony themselves, Square Enix for example.

X-Man said:

Lol, which third party developers did they steal? They all came to Sony themselves, Square Enix for example.

Yeah, that wasn't really much of a theft. More like Nintendo giving them away.  Sony did use a lot of muscle to prevent third parties from going to the Saturn, however.

Around the Network

I like it the way it is. Its been the same since PSone (for the most part), its 360 that is changing theirs to more like a PS controller. They changed the black and white to a R1/L1 layout.

I hope they never change the controller. I like almost everything about it and I can't wait for the Dual Shock 3. When I go back to playing on the Dreamcast I have a hard time adjusting to the controller. The same can be said to the XBox controllers I just think they are too big.

Systems I own (Games)

Sega: Dreamcast (40) , Saturn (25), Genesis (50), Masters System (10), Game Gear (20)

Sony: PS1 (8), PS2 (60) , PS3 (5), PSP (12)

Atari: 2600 (18) , 7800 (10), Lynx (10)

PlayStation controllers all had the same look. I liked the boomerang layout when they were first showing the PS3. It would've been ideal for the SixAxis for racing games.

Naraku_Diabolos said:
PlayStation controllers all had the same look. I liked the boomerang layout when they were first showing the PS3. It would've been ideal for the SixAxis for racing games.

Honestly, I don't see what was so wrong with this design compared to the SIXAXIS that eventually emerged.  I mean, it's not particularly inspired, but it looks a lot more comfortable to hold, and it doesn't sacrifice any functionality.

I hope they never change the controller, it is the best design.