By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When will we see a new PS controller?

Squall_Leonhart said:
@darconi

Yeah, because making the controller wireless is copying Ninty... Even the PS1 had controllers that can be wireless...

I hate when people bring up all this Sony copying ninty shit... its sad!

There's a difference between copying something that someone just put out and copying something that someone put out and became popular.  Nintendo copied a lot of things other companies had done before, few commercial ideas nowadays are entirely new.  I'm sure Nintendo wasn't the first to put out motion controls. I think wavebird was the first popular/mainstream wireless controller though, unless I'm forgetting something.

Actually I don't have any problems with people copying things, its how progress and tech advancement work, everyone wants those new features.  I do get annoyed though when they bash features like rumble being last gen.

However, even you have to admit that Nintendo popularized most of the controller innovations out there.   

Around the Network

man they really need to change up the design. the n64 controller was way better than the playstation controller and while nintendo and microsoft have been improving controller design since then sony has straight up stagnated. 3 systems all using the same controller with very slight changes (some of which are crappy changes like bad motion control and no rumble) when the controller was decent at best even when it first came out. just sad sony.

but of course there is gonna be copying of other companies when they bring some great new thing to the industry. but i think the point is that nintendo brings all the innovation and sony is the always the one copying and never innovating. their controller is the perfect example of this and thats why sony's controller is the same as it was over 12 years ago and had a tacked on very limited and crappy version on nintendo's motion controls and didn't even have rumble which nintendo brought in in the first place. nintendo's controller are always designed to fit the hand much better than any other controller on the market and sony just refuses to improve their controller. its just sad. the only way in which sony has ever pushed ahead is in the game format (cd's, dvd's, blu-ray). and that is the one way in which nintendo has always been behind with cartridges and mini-discs. They are fine now cuz they don't need anything more than normal dvd's since they don't need to worry about the space consumption of hd, but the past two generation they were clearly behind when it came to game format.

and since we are on the topic of innovation, i'll give credit to microsoft for its online and the introduction of the harddrive as well as really stepping up to the challenge of creating a piece of hardware that is even less reliable that the ps1 and ps2. thats a hard thing to do, but they accomplished it with flying colors.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

ilovetogame said:
man they really need to change up the design. the n64 controller was way better than the playstation controller and while nintendo and microsoft have been improving controller design since then sony has straight up stagnated. 3 systems all using the same controller with very slight changes (some of which are crappy changes like bad motion control and no rumble) when the controller was decent at best even when it first came out. just sad sony.

but of course there is gonna be copying of other companies when they bring some great new thing to the industry. but i think the point is that nintendo brings all the innovation and sony is the always the one copying and never innovating. their controller is the perfect example of this and thats why sony's controller is the same as it was over 12 years ago and had a tacked on very limited and crappy version on nintendo's motion controls and didn't even have rumble which nintendo brought in in the first place. nintendo's controller are always designed to fit the hand much better than any other controller on the market and sony just refuses to improve their controller. its just sad. the only way in which sony has ever pushed ahead is in the game format (cd's, dvd's, blu-ray). and that is the one way in which nintendo has always been behind with cartridges and mini-discs. They are fine now cuz they don't need anything more than normal dvd's since they don't need to worry about the space consumption of hd, but the past two generation they were clearly behind when it came to game format.

and since we are on the topic of innovation, i'll give credit to microsoft for its online and the introduction of the harddrive as well as really stepping up to the challenge of creating a piece of hardware that is even less reliable that the ps1 and ps2. thats a hard thing to do, but they accomplished it with flying colors.

Sigh....

Much bitterness and hate, I sense in this thread. Not good, this is. To the Dark Side, it leads. Control your anger, give not into your hate. There is only the Video Game, nothing else matters.

Sony hasn't really shown a lot of control innovation, to be honest. I wouldn't expect any really significant departures from the existing formula. On the off chance they decide to add a camera eye to the controller at some point, you can be sure it'll be where the cord traditionally feeds into the controller.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Nintendo wasn't the first company to do analog sticks either.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Around the Network

Lord N the digital sticks aren't really digital they are digital-analog but even that is besides the point they popluarized and standardized the analog stick. Even that is not the point so back on topic:

I bet the next PS controller will be similar but able to break into two for two one handed controllers each with a point device and rumble in them but also retaining all of the buttons and analog sticks and Dpad

konnichiwa are you sighing at the truth? because that bolded statement is pretty obvious even if you are a sony fanboy

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

Well Sony wanted to innovate their controllers (Remember the boomerang one?).

Pity that gamers hated it , the only thing that was good about it is that if you were mad and you throw your controler away it came back..

ilovetogame said:
konnichiwa are you sighing at the truth? because that bolded statement is pretty obvious even if you are a sony fanboy

I am sighing because I know it will put some fanboys in anger and will lead to Flamewars..

Oh well don't worry for me , my flamesuit just arrived;.

I wouldn't really call the boomerang controller design innovative. It tried to address the issue of a small grip space and over-compensated by quite a bit. Actually, it's a bit odd that they didn't extend the grips as far as they did for the Dual Analog. That one didn't garner any complaints to my knowledge. Really, the complaint I hear most frequently about the DualShock design is that the analog sticks are always in the "afterthought" position. As the first post in this thread illustrated, the solution would be easy enough.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.