By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Sony Respond to XB1 Pricecut?

Will Sony Drop PS4 to 349?

No, they will let it ride a 399 164 39.42%

Yes 63 15.14%

No, but they will offer other incentives 189 45.43%

Total:416
theprof00 said:

This post raises so many abstractions and questions about what is considered value that it can't possibly be the right answer.

What if a console released with a game, but then didn't and they dropped price? Is that less or more value? Back to the drawing board with this one.

xb1 went from 500 to 350. With or without kinect (which we'd really have to quantify in value, seeing as how sales have actually increased, indicating that kinect is either value-null or a negative).

The concept of value does not have a "right answer" in any context.  Value is an opinion, therefore the "right answer" is different depending on who you ask.

Around the Network

Ofcourse they will not reduce price until they really feel the effect of X1.

Personally, I think Sony should do a matching price drop.

However, I think they will do what most companies do. Wait and see what impact it has. If sales of XBox One units jump up significantly (and in my opinion they will), they will react and drop the price then.

theprof00 said:
Neodegenerate said:
Yojimbo said:

I agree in that situation it is not 150 dollar price cut. Still its quite confusing, did ps3 get price cut or not? from 599 to 399 euro it was new version without ps2 compatiblity and other stuff. Or can we only count price cuts from 399 euro, because it was the same version?

New console versions and price cuts are not as black and white as people want to make them out to be.  I got my original PS3 Fat with backwards compatability for 600 or whatever it was at launch.  I bought my most recent 120gb PS3 for 160 or something a couple years back.  Did the ability to play PS3 games become cheaper as the consoles life went on?  Yes.  Did you get the same or greater value (minus the backwards compatability thing) by buying a cheaper version later?  Yes.  Do you define that as "price cut"?  If so, yes you got a price cut.  If you don't, then you paid less for a cheaper version.

This post raises so many abstractions and questions about what is considered value that it can't possibly be the right answer.

What if a console released with a game, but then didn't and they dropped price? Is that less or more value? Back to the drawing board with this one.

xb1 went from 500 to 350. With or without kinect (which we'd really have to quantify in value, seeing as how sales have actually increased, indicating that kinect is either value-null or a negative).

If a new item(Kinectless XB1) doesn't have the functionality/capability of an "old" item (XB1 with Kinect), how can anyone really say they are the same thing regardless of whether you find any Value in the kinect?  The kinect adds a whole different capability to the XB1.  So, comparing a $349 kinectless XB1 to the $449 version with Kinect is laughable.  

Most of this thread and the other 4-5 threads about the $50 price drop are filled with this same logic.  Oddly, I don't see anyone making this logic leap outside of PS fans trying to make a bigger deal out of a $50 price drop a year after launch.  

As far as sales increasing(bolded), that was just plain silly.  Of course sales will increase when a different version of product comes out and has a %20 price difference.  On top of that, the entry point was now under $400, which had a more meaningful impact than any other reason.  I don't think that many people would argue that a majority of buyers seem to not care about Kinect functionality.  The fact that the Kinect included sku is still being sold tells you that the value is still there for buyers.

It is near the end of the end....

No price drop, but plenty of bundles at $399

Around the Network
Landguy said:
theprof00 said:
Neodegenerate said:
Yojimbo said:

I agree in that situation it is not 150 dollar price cut. Still its quite confusing, did ps3 get price cut or not? from 599 to 399 euro it was new version without ps2 compatiblity and other stuff. Or can we only count price cuts from 399 euro, because it was the same version?

New console versions and price cuts are not as black and white as people want to make them out to be.  I got my original PS3 Fat with backwards compatability for 600 or whatever it was at launch.  I bought my most recent 120gb PS3 for 160 or something a couple years back.  Did the ability to play PS3 games become cheaper as the consoles life went on?  Yes.  Did you get the same or greater value (minus the backwards compatability thing) by buying a cheaper version later?  Yes.  Do you define that as "price cut"?  If so, yes you got a price cut.  If you don't, then you paid less for a cheaper version.

If a new item(Kinectless XB1) doesn't have the functionality/capability of an "old" item (XB1 with Kinect), how can anyone really say they are the same thing regardless of whether you find any Value in the kinect?  The kinect adds a whole different capability to the XB1.  So, comparing a $349 kinectless XB1 to the $449 version with Kinect is laughable.  

Most of this thread and the other 4-5 threads about the $50 price drop are filled with this same logic.  Oddly, I don't see anyone making this logic leap outside of PS fans trying to make a bigger deal out of a $50 price drop a year after launch.  

As far as sales increasing(bolded), that was just plain silly.  Of course sales will increase when a different version of product comes out and has a %20 price difference.  On top of that, the entry point was now under $400, which had a more meaningful impact than any other reason.  I don't think that many people would argue that a majority of buyers seem to not care about Kinect functionality.  The fact that the Kinect included sku is still being sold tells you that the value is still there for buyers.

So going by your logic the kinect model got a $50 price drop in a year while the kinect less model dropped $50 in what 6 months?

DM235 said:
Personally, I think Sony should do a matching price drop.

However, I think they will do what most companies do. Wait and see what impact it has. If sales of XBox One units jump up significantly (and in my opinion they will), they will react and drop the price then.

But why though that is the question? Why would they do a matching price drop for a temporary holiday promotion when they are literally curb stomping MS? Even if the XB1 sales jumped significantly Sony would have to drop HARD for MS to come close to passing it. Heck both Sony AND MS will already get a significant jump thanks to the normal Holiday boost but PS4 jump will be higher for obvious reason. So this price cut by MS in my eyes is a way to ATLEAST match the PS$4 sales wise in US/UK. SO this cut is a reaction to the success of the PS4 so there is no reason for Sony to react outside of normal Holiday deals.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

@OP:

Yes, they'll respond keeping the official price unchanged until after January 2015 clearance sales and selling shitloads of them anyway. Then, during Q1 2015 or Spring 2015 we'll see PS4 first official price cut, probably together with a cut of PS3 price too and PSV too if the latter won't have already happened before (more likely).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

method114 said:
Landguy said:

So going by your logic the kinect model got a $50 price drop in a year while the kinect less model dropped $50 in what 6 months?

That is exactly what happened, isn't it?

It is near the end of the end....

Maybe they might bundle a free game. I don't see them cutting the price though.