By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Sony Respond to XB1 Pricecut?

Will Sony Drop PS4 to 349?

No, they will let it ride a 399 164 39.42%

Yes 63 15.14%

No, but they will offer other incentives 189 45.43%

Total:416

I think that one area many don't consider is the value proposal of a $399 disc bundle vs. a $349 download code bundle.
Especially in a country infamous for its data caps and download speeds.

There is a huge difference of surprising your kid with a CoD bundle on a weekend or Thanksgiving, plugging it in, and then waiting 12 hours for the 50GB game to download, obliterating family's data cap in the process, vs. surprising your kid with a GTA bundle, popping in a disc and installing it in a matter of seconds, and being able to play almost instantenously.

Around the Network

They can still outsell the X1 at $400 lol & it'll still get molested outside of NA + UK with the price cut (if its in effect anyway). They just need a few really good bundles.

Zones said:
todd2r said:
There's really nothing they can do at this point. The momentum has swung in Xbox favor. They dont have the games to make any noise. Xbox One offers the best in console gaming. The best holiday lineup and the superior online service to connect with friends. Thank you Microsoft.

todd2r said:
Also, let me add a big thank you to Microsoft for making this price drop happen. Now everyone can experience true happiness with Xbox One for the low price of $349. Thank you Microsoft. We are humbled. 

todd2r said:
They really are incredible. Microsoft definitely delivering on value that's for sure. We are humbled Microsoft. Thank you. Now I sit and wait for UPS to arrive with my Sunset Overdrive bundle. My 2nd Xbox One. 

todd2r said:
Congrats. Enjoy the best console on the market. Anyways, Forza Horizon 2 is incredible. Pick it up. While you're at it, preorder sunset overdrive and Halo. Then sit back and enjoy the greatness. Welcome to the best console today and the greatest online service going.

Holy crap man, I hope for your own sake that you do get paid for those comments.

He is either crapgamerreviews or nxtgen720. I am 100% sure of that.

jlmurph2 said:
Can they afford that?

Of course they can afford it. If they can't afford that, then they couldn't  have afforded the R&D for the PS4, let alone the initial manufaturing them. The PS4's first 3 weeks (the US and EU launches) amounted to over 2 million sales. If we assume the PS4 was costing them around $450 per unit at the time, then they'll have been sitting on around $1 billion worth of pre-launch stock (likely a bit more).

It's only a question of if they think it's worth it or not.

OT: 
"Bargain bin" seems somewhat dramatic. The X1 has had more price cuts than we'd normally expect (in various forms), but it's a long way from reaching that sort of territory. Especially when the current $50 cut in a holiday promotion, not a permanent cut. "Doing their best to remain competitive" would be a better description.

It's been more then 1 year since to release of the ps4 i think they could do a 50$ price cut without losing money but i don't think they will

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network
TheBlackNaruto said:
fluky-nintendy said:
Only if MS succeeds with xb1 pricecut they will drop the price. But I don't think there's too much to worry about since PS4 will also have interesting bundles and some retailers also offer some neat discounts.

But that's the thing this is a HOLIDAY pricecut so it MS "succeeds" and beats the PS4 in the US(and UK maybe) but still gets TROUNCED WW(which is what is going to happen pretty much) then so what? Why would that matter to Sony? MS won for a few weeks during the Holiday is not a big deal IMO. Maintaining it is what would matter more IMO

Yes I agree, and besides this price for XB1 is temporary, not to mention that PS4 is techinically superior , so the price is right and well informed people know this.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
Seece said:
iTechHeads said:
Seece said:
Bargin bin ... dear lord. $400 to $350 a year after launch is not bargin bin, and I hardly see this hurting MS/XB1 ...

They're devaluing their product by doing constant price cuts and free game giveaways.

A product that is popular and selling well doesn't have price cuts and free game promotions every month. It doesn't need them.

BTW, the Xbox One launched at $500, not $400.

New sku minus kinect, not price cut. Big difference. If I was in the market for an XB1 today I would have to pay $450, that's only $50 less than what I got it at launch. (Because I would want Kinect model).

They're not devaluing, they're becoming competitive. And they're doing it to beat PS4, not because it's selling badly (not that I think it's selling fantastically either).

Some incredible reaching going on in this thread.

This an stupid assessment, if we take this as relevant then the PS3 never dropped in price, considering they always cut stuff from the skus, things more important and useful than Kinect. The only relevant thing here is that a year ago you could get a XONE for $500 and now you can get one for $350, if they're not careful, some people would eventually decide to always wait for the next pricedrop which would really hurt their sales baseline.

Neodegenerate said:
Yojimbo said:

Good to know, PS3 did not have any price cuts. Bought mine for 399 euro without ps2 compatiliblty in 2008. We only had one version.

Versions and price cuts are separate things.  He specifically asked if a 349 console going to 299 was a 150 dollar price cut.  Simple math says no.  Including the 8gb version that is 150 cheaper doesn't make the product you are specifically seeking (in this case the 349 console) a  150 dollar cheaper product.  You have a 50 dollar price cut, but not a 150 dollar price cut.

I agree in that situation it is not 150 dollar price cut. Still its quite confusing, did ps3 get price cut or not? from 599 to 399 euro it was new version without ps2 compatiblity and other stuff. Or can we only count price cuts from 399 euro, because it was the same version?

the-pi-guy said:
MoHasanie said:

Sony is in big trouble right now financially. Most of their products are loss making, so I don't think they just want to break even on each PS4 if its one of the few products that is actually profitable. 

I've never heard of this before.  /s

I said that they could, not that they should or will or want to.  

They were losing money on the PS4 last year, but they made money if people bought a game/PS+.  

I don't think they can. They've projected a massive $2.1bn loss for the current financial year. Moreover, the games division still reported a loss last year even with the big increase in PS+ subsriptions. It would be a silly move to lose more money just to stay competitive. There is no need for it since PS4 is already so popular. This is their time to make big profits not just break even. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Yes, I think they will respond, but not with an official price cut. Special deals, like maybe 2 free games (e.g. LBP3 + 1) should be enough to provide people with a sense of roughly equivalent value. No doubt $50 retailer gift cards will make an appearance. Question is whether Xb one will do $50 retailer gift cards along with the $350 price tag.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix