By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is 2014 the least impressive year in gaming history?

Fusioncode said:
mZuzek said:
Fusioncode said:

2014 has... 

The best Mario Kart game ever, the best Super Smash Bros. game ever, the first portable Smash Bros. game, the best Donkey Kong Country game ever, the long-awaited Bayonetta sequel (that could take GOTY), a crazy Zelda spin-off and I think we round off a pretty decent year.

Mario Kart and Donkey Kong were solid games but I wouldn't call them masterpieces. Hyrule Warriors has a 75 meta, nothing spectacular about that. Bayo2 is great and I'm sure Smash Bros will be awesome but do either of those compare to GTAV or Bioshock Infinite?

I'm not that crazy about MK8 or even Smash. But I am hyped for bayo 2.

Butit does always come down to taste.
I'm really not a gta fan but GTA V is probably my fav GTA... Still I spend a lot of time between missions (And during some missions) not having fun. I sort of see the inbetween missions bit as being a bit like the worlds most convoluted and padded level select.

Bioshock infinate was a great game and a fantastic example of storytelling in a computer game, but from a critique of the shoot'em up gameplay persective it was adequate but unremarkable, like most single player shoot'em ups these days.

Around the Network

Dragon Age Inquisition looks pretty promising, Alien Isolation is pretty damn good, Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros are awesome, Bayonetta 2 looks amazing as well, Dark Souls II...

It wasn't exactly a great year, but not the worst imo

Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you are necessarily right.

NightDragon83 said:
Nope, 2005 is easily the worst year in gaming over the past 10-15 years, with nothing compelling outside of RE4, and culminating in the underwhelming launch of the 360.

You're forgetting PS2, GBA, GC, and DS was releasing games during 2005 as well though.  Not listing anything else, PS2 had a lot of quality games released in 2005.

Dragon Quest 8, Wild ARMs Alter Code F, Matrix Path of Neo, From Russia With Love, Star Wars Battlefront 2, Taito Legends, Shadow of the Colossus, SMT DDS1 and 2, Capcom Classics Collection, Indigo Prophecy, Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks, Urban Reign, Mobile Suit Gundam GvZG, RE Outbreak File 2, Time Splitters Future Perfect, Devil May Cry 3, Ys Ark of Napishtim, Champions Return to Arms, God of War, and some import only games.

NightDragon83 said:
Nope, 2005 is easily the worst year in gaming over the past 10-15 years, with nothing compelling outside of RE4, and culminating in the underwhelming launch of the 360.

I have to respectfully disagree. I found 2005 to be a stellar year.

Resident Evil 4

Psychonauts

God of War

Peter Jackson's King Kong

Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones

Jade Empire

Star Wars: Republic Commando

Shadow of the Colossus

Mario Kart DS 

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

Far Cry Instincts

Plus Xbox ports of Half-Life 2 and Doom 3

@OP: to be honest, I've barely played anything from 2014 -- I've been working on my backlog -- but Mario Kart 8 alone makes this year a success. That being said, 2014 has been a year defined by unrealistically high expectations and out-of-control hype, which, I'm sure, has lead to a lot of disappointment.

It´s been underwhelming to me.

Dark Souls 2 disappointed me.. still a good game, but unlike Demons Souls and Dark Souls, I never felt compelled to finish it and stopped with around 70% of everything completed, no desire to return to it.I´m not burnt out on Souls games (Bloodborne is my most anticipated title, as you can tell from my avatar), it´s just that as a whole, DS2 was pretty 'meh' imo.

I´m not really into open world/ GTA like games and multiplayer focused FPS games, so Watch Dogs, Infamous and Destiny don´t interest me.

Me and my friends are not having as much fun with Mario Kart 8 as we do with MK Wii..this is a series I play strictly as a local multiplayer game, and ever since 2008 we got completely hooked on MK Wii, but MK8 failed to ignite the same passion.

On the other hand, I was very, positively surprised at how much I´ve enjoyed Wolfenstein TNO, the best FPS campaign I´ve played in god knows how long, and currently I´m hooked on The Evil Within, imo Mikami hasn´t lost his touch.

I haven´t played Alien Isolation, I like horror games but I´m on the fence about this one, and I´m hoping I enjoy Lords of the Fallen..oh and there´s still Smash Bros, this is a game I doubt will fail to provide countless hours of fun.

This year is really the calm before the storm next year.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Fusioncode said:

2014 has... 

The best Mario Kart game ever, the best Super Smash Bros. game ever, the first portable Smash Bros. game, the best Donkey Kong Country game ever, the long-awaited Bayonetta sequel (that could take GOTY), a crazy Zelda spin-off and I think we round off a pretty decent year.

Those are all Nintendo games, so they don't matter..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Fusioncode said:

2014 has... 

...the Atari Flashback 5.

mZuzek said:
AZWification said:

Those are all Nintendo games, so they don't matter..

Pretty much. I'm already preparing myself for all the Destiny GOTY awards.

Lolz.

Almost everybody is disappointed with Destiny. I highly doubt it's winning any awards. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

I don't know about you guys, but MK8 wasn't great.

And now I realize that I've bought only 2013 games this year... Except the IOTY, Shovel Knight

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Slarvax said:
I don't know about you guys, but MK8 wasn't great.

And now I realize that I've bought only 2013 games this year... Except the IOTY, Shovel Knight

Shovel Knight was a lot of fun. Probably the best indie game I've played all year. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!