By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is 2014 the least impressive year in gaming history?

My main concern is that there has been no new IP that has met expectations and really got people excited about the new generation. And any decent new IP there has been has mostly been cross gen (like Titanfall and Shadow of Mordor - assuming it does release on PS360 in November)), so not really new gen new IP to get gamers really excited for the new hardware. So far we have a handful of indies that are only available on new gen (Pix the Cat, highest metascore for a new IP on PS4/Vita only) and a few solid but not OMG awesome retail games.

PSV and 3DS are leading the way with the best new IP, but we're not really talking about handhelds in this thread. But even so, the best new IP on the handhelds while getting 90+ metas are not making people drool with excitement.

Where are the Mass Effects, and Gears of Wars, and Uncharteds, and Xenoblades (gods that's depressing for Wii, Wii's critically greatest new IP* by far sold less than 1 million on a 100 million install base, and people wonder why Nintendo home platforms struggle)?

It has been a good year IMO, but not a good year for new gen only new IP, and outstanding new gen only new IP is what new generations need to push people across from the old gen.

*Anything with Mario's name in it is not a new IP, it's just a new game in an existing IP, which is why I do not count Mario Galaxy among the new IP for Wii.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Definitely, the only two standout games for me are Shadow of Mordor (my personal GOTY) and Alien Isolation. I enjoyed Titanfall too, but its lack of content hurt.

I personally think 2007 was the best year for gaming last gen. Mass Effect, Bioshock and Halo 3. Perfection.

I think the last 7-8 years have been pretty bad if I'm honest... But, yes, 2014 has been a shit year for gaming imo.

Nothing bad about it, plenty of great games, especially if you had a PS3/PS4. 2012 and 2007 sucked!

It was a good year for Wii U owners but if you didn't own one, then this year would probably be quite bad. Although, people that owned an X1 had some good exclusives. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

Dark Souls 2
Mario Kart 8
Smash Bros
Bayonetta
Shovel Knight

no

I've greatly enjoyed 2014 it's had Infamous (my least favorite in the series but still the best next gen game especially with First Light factored in), TLoU Remastered (great excuse to platinum again and dat framerate!), Dust (free), Stick it to the Man (free), Mario Kart 8 (best in the series), DKC:TF (much better than Returns), and still has to give me Shadow of Mordor (Black Friday), Sleeping Dogs Definitive (BF), TWD Season 1 and 2 and Wolf Among Us disc versions for PS4 (BF), GTA5 Super Edition (Christmas), FC4 (Christmas), and LBP3 (Christmas). Oh and obviously the far superior 1080p, faster loading, and better running with better controller PS4 versions for all those games that are multiplat on that list.

And don't forget...SMASH!

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

2012, 1983

Nintentacle said:
2012, 1983

It is pretty unfortunate when you can only name two years that are almost definitely worse, though one of them being so recent counters that. I'm sure there were some years in between them as well.

1983, though... dark times...

Ive been enjoying this year very much. Ive purchased 15 games maybe? Im not even sure but my highlights has been Killer Instinct,  Alien: Isolation, Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare, TitanFall, Destiny, Dark Souls II, DKC, Oddworld: New N Tasty, and Im still looking forward to Ori and the Blind Forest, LittleBigPlanet3, Sunset Overdrive, Halo: MCC, Pokemon, and Dragon Age. I also need to go back and buy Forza Horizon 2. Anyways, no, ive enjoyed this year very much