By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is 2014 the least impressive year in gaming history?

Mummelmann said:
I think the last 7-8 years have been pretty bad if I'm honest... But, yes, 2014 has been a shit year for gaming imo.

Jesus, 7-8 years? May I ask then: why do you still even bother with this hobby? o_O

Around the Network

2014 is mostly the year of remakes and remasters so far, but I'm looking forward to Far Cry 4. That's really about the only potentially ''amazing'' game of this year though for me. I mean Horizon 2 is really good too, but yeah ... that's not a game we gonna remember for it's amazingness in 5 years time now, is it?

Add me on Xbox: DWTKarma 

shadow of mordor
mario kart
titanfall
destiny
south park game
watch dogs
infamous
the last of us (game of 2 gens)
darksoul 2
and a bunch of other games I won't mention, I think you where just expecting way too much for the first full year of this gen

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Depends from what perspective... 2011 for Nintendo fans was ghastly.
2006 was pretty weak for xbox 360 despite some oblivion and gears.

But yeah, I personally haven't played a single game from 2014 and I the only two I will are smash bros and Mario Kart 8.

Also, some people are talking about 2012 in high regard, but I put both years on the same level. Just because Destiny, Titanfall and Watch Dogs won't be GOTY, doesn't put 2014 way below 2012.

And, quite honestly, 2008 was kinda meh? Maybe memory doesn't serve me well, but other than MGS4 and LBP... yeah, that's it. It seems even years are always the weakest (though I wouldn't call any of them "bad").

But like many people pointed out, there were PLENTY of games available for any platform. If some people want most of these games to be espectacular, well that's another thing entirely.

Just my two cents anyway.

Around the Network

For me 2014 has been a terrible year in gaming, 2013 was alright but nothing special, 2012 was mediocre for with as well, 2008 and 2011 being my best years for games.

I'd think this year was good for most of the 3 platforms for those that own them but since I don't own any of them I can't really say this year was great for me at all so next year I'm changing that with a XB1 and Wii U to carry me for a good few years, eventually Sony when they throw something I'd actually really want at me but until then it's going to be two consoles, my 3DS and my PC for the foreseeable future.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

What about the stuff still coming?
Pokemon, Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad, Smash Bros., LBP3, Dragon Age, Far Cry 4, Ori and the Blind Forest, Sunset Overdrive. Platinum's Korra game if it's any good... Looks like A Hat In Time probably won't make this year...

That's disregarding everything out so far.

For Nintendo its a great year, but for everyone else it was just pretty good. 2012 was better for gaming as a whole.

Nah. Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare by itself has made for a great year in my opinion. Not to mention it's subjective that Titanfall, Destiny, etc. were let downs as I've seen many people love those games just as much as the ones who hate them. There's been a ton of major release this year and while I'm sure some will be disappointed, as a community, 2014 will be far and away from a disappointing year. Especially in history.

I have to disagree.

Stick of Truth alone makes it an amazing year for me. The game was a perfect example of how video games based on tv-shows/movies should be made.

Child of Light was also great, one of the best games I've played in years.

I'm sure there were more. People get the impression that this is not a great year because of lack of xb1/ps4 exclusives with high meta. Games like Watch_Dogs and the new LoTR game are great games and it shouldn't matter that they are not exclusives.