By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is 2014 the least impressive year in gaming history?

I have a wii u but still I'm unimpressed. 2014 certainly has been disappointing.

MK8 is a lot like MK7.. good but not fresh and super interesting. I might get smash but I'm not historically a smash fan so I don't know how I'll like it.
I'm hyped for Bayonetta 1&2 and I enjoyed DK:TF and keep going back to it.
On other console I've mainly been catching up on last years games. I enjoyed tomb raider, and... err... some others were ok.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Fusioncode said:

2014 has... 

The best Mario Kart game ever, the best Super Smash Bros. game ever, the first portable Smash Bros. game, the best Donkey Kong Country game ever, the long-awaited Bayonetta sequel (that could take GOTY), a crazy Zelda spin-off and I think we round off a pretty decent year.

Mario Kart and Donkey Kong were solid games but I wouldn't call them masterpieces. Hyrule Warriors has a 75 meta, nothing spectacular about that. Bayo2 is great and I'm sure Smash Bros will be awesome but do either of those compare to GTAV or Bioshock Infinite?

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

I have bought only 4 games this year if I remember correctly, of which 2 were released in 2013. Partly due to financial difficulties, I admit, but still. I agree there weren't many 'must-haves' this year. At least to me. The only game I really wanted this year was Mario Kart 8.

Dark Souls 2, Fable Anniversary, The Evil Within, Super Smash Bros 3DS, Bayonetta 2, The Sherlock Holmes game, Forza Horizon, Alien: Isolation, Destiny, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Shadow of Mordor, Wasteland 2, Final Fantasy Curtain Call, Infamous: Second Son, CounterSpy, Divinity, Child of Light...must I go on?

I sincerely believe that anyone that says this probably hasn't played any of these supposed "disappointments". And I would encourage them to stop being youtube gamers and go out and actually play these games.

I have bought and played
- Tomb Raider DE (skipped it on PS3)
- Infamous Second son (most fun I had with an infamous game)
- MGS5: Ground zeroes
- Watchdogs (this was a very good game, contrary to what some may say. then again I wasn't expecting much)
- Child of Light (one of the best games I have played this year)
- The last of Us RM (also skipped it on PS3, this alone made my year)
- Destiny (yes I was a little disappointed with this one, good game but has a lot of little annoyances)
- Driveclub (don't believe the BS. This is pure racing fun. Its exactly what its supposed to be.)

And I still have on my list for this year
- Assassin's Creed Unity (though it will be the first PS4 game I buy used. actually the first disc I would own)
- GTA5 RE (skipped it on PS3, again this game alone should make my year)
- COD AW (the first COD I am buying since modern warefare, has a big enough leap to warrant purchase)
- Farcry 3 (not sure if its still coming this year, may hold out on it till next year though)
- LBP 3

Now even if you are a PS4 owner and played all the cross gen games on the PS3 last year, there is still plenty this year to play so I never quite understand what people are talking about when they are complaining about no games to play.

Around the Network

Just looked at 2005 and it wasn't that bad.

MK ds (my fav mariokart)
F.E.A.R.
Quake 4
Guild wars
Advanced wars dual strike
Age of Empires 3
Star wars: Knights of the old republic 2

I was mainly a pc and ds gamer at that point.

Intrinsic said:
I sincerely believe that anyone that says this probably hasn't played any of these supposed "disappointments". And I would encourage them to stop being youtube gamers and go out and actually play these games.

I have bought and played
- Tomb Raider DE (skipped it on PS3)
- Infamous Second son (most fun I had with an infamous game)
- MGS5: Ground zeroes
- Watchdogs (this was a very good game, contrary to what some may say. then again I wasn't expecting much)
- Child of Light (one of the best games I have played this year)
- The last of Us RM (also skipped it on PS3, this alone made my year)
- Destiny (yes I was a little disappointed with this one, good game but has a lot of little annoyances)
- Driveclub (don't believe the BS. This is pure racing fun. Its exactly what its supposed to be.)

And I still have on my list for this year
- Assassin's Creed Unity (though it will be the first PS4 game I buy used. actually the first disc I would own)
- GTA5 RE (skipped it on PS3, again this game alone should make my year)
- COD AW (the first COD I am buying since modern warefare, has a big enough leap to warrant purchase)
- Farcry 3 (not sure if its still coming this year, may hold out on it till next year though)
- LBP 3

Now even if you are a PS4 owner and played all the cross gen games on the PS3 last year, there is still plenty this year to play so I never quite understand what people are talking about when they are complaining about no games to play.

When did I complain about not having games to play?

Me thinks you missed the point of the thread. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

LBG3 smash bayo 2 fh2 and far cry 4 will prove this invalid imo

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

As stated by Weirdfish 2014 has been the year of unfulfilled hype.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Well FH2 and MCC tells me it is anything but bad :).