By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Hyrule Warriors Might Have A Chance to Become the Best Selling DW Game in the US! (If Not Top 3 of the Series)

Lawlight said:

Last I checked Zelda wasn't in the same franchise as Dynasty Warriors unlike the Super Smash games.

Your reading comprehension is impressively lacking. Hyrule Warriors is indeed a Dynasty Warriors spin-off, being that it is made by the Dynasty Warriors team, has Dynasty Warriors gameplay, has Warriors in its name, and is published by Koei-Tecmo.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
Lawlight said:
So, people are saying that a GTA Musou game will sell in the same ballpark as the other Musou games?

Of course not. It would sell very, very well in America, as KT would expect it to. That would be the whole point. It wouldn't change the fact that it's still a Musou game though.

Zelda is not GTA. Not even close. You know this.

There's my point - you can't expect a Musou game that has a recognized name associated to it sell only as well as any other Musou game. Zelda isn't close to GTA but it's still a relatively big franchise. So, the fact that it sold on par with other DW games makes these sales look weak.

Lawlight said:

There's my point - you can't expect a Musou game that has a recognized name associated to it sell only as well as any other Musou game. Zelda isn't close to GTA but it's still a relatively big franchise. So, the fact that it sold on par with other DW games makes these sales look weak.

You had me up until "its sales look weak." When you consider all of the factors, especially the install base of the platform, they don't look weak at all.

Let's try approaching it like this. If you don't want to think of it as being tied to the Dynasty Warriors IP, fine. Don't. Consider it a part of the Warriors genre. Hyrule Warriors is indisputably a Warriors-genre game, and not an action-adventure Zelda game. Comparing sales of Hyrule Warriors to those of other Warriors games is no different from comparing Forza and GT, both racing sims.

We don't expect Pokemon spin-offs like Mystery Dungeon and Ranger to have comparable sales to the main RPGs. We don't compare sales of the Mario sports and party spin-offs to those of the main platformer games. Half the time I have to hear about how Golden Abyss doesn't count as an Uncharted game just because it's not made by Naughty Dog, to say nothing of the card game.

Just because they slapped Link on the cover doesn't mean we should expect this game to get main series Zelda game sales. On the other hand, a Warriors game with Warriors gameplay and Warriors in the title sold exceptionally well even on a very unpopular platform thanks to a Zelda theme. So, mission accomplished: the Zelda theme helped lure more Westerners into playing a Warriors game.

Lawlight said:

Whatever you compare it to, DW shouldn't be it. It's not a DW game.

As I said, you shouldn't compare any game to any game. Take the sales for what they are. With that said, people like to compare success. 

This game is a collaboration of DW & Zelda. It's more DW than Zelda. So, it makes sense to compare them if anything.

Then again, why does it matter? Let T-bone and others compare what they want. it's not like he's trying to compare a 10 M selling IP to a niche one...

*Sound Of Rain said:

As I said, you shouldn't compare any game to any game. Take the sales for what they are. With that said, people like to compare success. 

This game is a collaboration of DW & Zelda. It's more DW than Zelda. So, it makes sense to compare them if anything.

Then again, why does it matter? Let T-bone and others compare what they want. it's not like he's trying to compare a 10 M selling IP to a niche one...

You're probably right about not comparing it to anything, at least not seriously.  In my opinion, relative to the west, comparing a gaming starring Link and Zelda to a game starring Lu Bu and Zhuge Liang is meaningless.  It tells us nothing we didn't already know.  I'm sure others feel the same about comparing it to any of the Legend of Zelda games.

However, I still find the Zelda comparisons a lot more interesting, partially because I have no clue about the numbers for the less famous titles.

Around the Network

If Hyrule Warriors is a Zelda game...then I have to wonder what the heck these Legend of Zelda games are that I've been playing for 15 years. Their nothing alike!

On a more serious note, I'm happy about the game doing well in the US (and Europe afaik) as I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. Might even try some other Musou games.

this game is good.... that's why is selling!

Switch!!!

pokoko said:
Shouldn't the comparison be with other Zelda games? I mean, that's the reason most people bought it.

I don't know what you saw, but all the advertisement I saw stated clearly it was a Warriors game in the zelda universe, not a zelda game.

Do you fear the next Dynasty/Samurai Warriors /Orochi on PS4 will sell worse and proactively spin?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Lawlight said:
*Sound Of Rain said:
pokoko said:
Shouldn't the comparison be with other Zelda games? I mean, that's the reason most people bought it.

It really shouldn't be compared to anything. People should take its sales for what it is.

With that said, if we are going to compare it with anything, DW games it should be. It plays like DW, not Zelda after all.

Whatever you compare it to, DW shouldn't be it. It's not a DW game.

It's a Warriors game. Icompared it in my sales projection with One Piece Musou.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Lawlight said:

Last I checked Zelda wasn't in the same franchise as Dynasty Warriors unlike the Super Smash games.

Last time I checked Hyrule Warriors wasn't in the same franchise as Zelda.