By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Explain: Sony abandoning the Vita

we still get freedom wars so it's not completely abandoned yet but hey, if not enough people are buying it, you have to give it up at some point.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

1) On the contrary, since I don't have a handheld, personal feelings don't cloud my judgement.

2) Saying the Vita has no support is an exaggeration, not having a Vita I can cleary see its still getting support.

Whether or not you like the support, and are representative of every Vita fan is irrelevant to me, because that is your subjective opinion.

Furthermore, I'm not looking at this year alone, like you seem to be.  Wii U basically stagnated for a year, getting ports of last gen games that we're basically no different. To me that is clear abandonment. 

Thats why I'm limiting it to the Vita. Show me that Vita software support has declined overall. Because Vita is still getting hardware support, its been remodeled twice, with the Vita TV releasing this month, and the version 3.35 patch its recieving. Sony has mention Vita at every conference they mention PS4, with new games coming out for it.

3) This narrative of Vita abandonment describes it as Sony pretending it doesn't exist. The main concern I here from people saying the Vita doesn't get support is that they want support that Nintendo gives its platforms. Completely ignoring the facts that Sony's main focus has always been on the home consoles, PS3 was definetly struggling, Sony is Not a Game Developer like Nintendo, and Sony depends on 3rd parties a lot more than Nintendo.

4) PS Vita's poor sales, especially in America was definetly a result of price, but it also made it a pariah in the eyes of 3rd party like the Wii U. Meanwhile, its a joke to compare the Wii U's support from Nintendo to Sony's of the Vita when they aren't even the same type of company, and Sony is supporting 2 active home consoles as opposed to 1 active handheld that has always dominated the industry and gets 3rd party support by default

1) This is a big fallacy. Lack of ownership doesn't mean that there are no personal feelings getting in the way of an analysis. Let's say someone is a big fan of the company that makes the product in question, that alone can be enough reason for emotional investment. In your specific case, you are a Sony fan who doesn't want to believe that Sony did not only do something wrong, but something utterly despicable by first pitching the Vita as a next gen handheld that will have AAA experiences and then turning around when sales aren't stellar and making it an indie-first machine that offers people games that didn't necessitate the original hardware specs and thus the price. What people bought the system for and what people are actually getting aren't even remotely the same thing.

2) Here are lists of games developed by Sony:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/company/13124-scei?platform=117&year=0®ion=0&devpub=1

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/company/10631-scea?platform=117&year=0®ion=0&devpub=1

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/company/13123-scee?platform=117&year=0®ion=0&devpub=1

Now the filters I used have probably omitted one or the other game, but the key point here is the decrease in first party software support. I have no idea why you bring up third parties abandoning the Wii U when the topic of this discussion is clearly about what the console manufacturers themselves have been doing.

3) This is just a string of poor excuses. By the time the Vita was about to launch (December 2011), the PS3 was already in safe waters. Given how much third party support the PS3 got worldwide (and the PSP in Japan), Sony's first party had more than enough leeway to focus on the Vita and get the new system off to a good start. This was a much better situation to be in than what Nintendo usually faces; their old systems don't enjoy such long periods of good third party support while the new ones won't get good third party support until they've proven themselves in the market place; this forces Nintendo to leave the old systems behind, because otherwise both the old and new systems will die.

4) Vita already lacked first party support before the PS4 launched, so the excuse that Sony has more active systems than Nintendo doesn't hold up. It's also laughable to say that Nintendo handhelds get third party support by default, given that Nintendo had to issue a drastic price cut for the 3DS only half a year after it launched; and that lack of third party confidence existed despite the DS being the predecessor of the 3DS.

Alright fine, I let you have that. I could argue against those points but it doesn't address my intial concern.

Show me how drastically the Vita's overall support has dropped from its release to now. That's the only possible way of convincing me of abandonment. 

Comparisons to the Wii, Wii U, PSP, PS2, PS3, anything other than the Vita are invalid for various reasons.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Suffice to say, this is the very reason I have completely given up on mobile gaming. If the only options are mobile phones and the 3DS then I would rather not game at all.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

To be fair they did try but then Sony realized they messed up their strategy (or lack thereof) and just gave up.

RolStoppable said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Alright fine, I let you have that. I could argue against those points but it doesn't address my intial concern.

Show me how drastically the Vita's overall support has dropped from its release to now. That's the only possible way of convincing me of abandonment. 

Comparisons to the Wii, Wii U, PSP, PS2, PS3, anything other than the Vita are invalid for various reasons.

Overall support? You mean including all third party games? That's not the topic of this thread.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

whether or not the Vita has been adequately supported is subjective, but the "Vita gets no support...

All the support is the topic of this thread, hardware, software, 1st party, 3rd party, apps, system. 

Anything less than a comparison of Vita games releases per year is insufficient for me. I'm unconcerned with reasons for Vita abandonment, and I find that comparison to predecessors or competition in drastically different and much better scenarios are irrelevant.

As a concession, abandonment of software support can be valid in its own right, which is clearly what most posters mean when they say "Sony's dropped the Vita", but even then nobody is providing evidence of this. 

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
deadeyye said:
mymuro said:
Did sony ever support it outside Japan?

Yes, they did. They put their best brands - Uncharted, Killzone, Little Big Planet, and went to create new brands - like Tearaway and Gravity Rush. Overall i think they made more than 5 high budget games, even though they never got the sales to justify those. They were only made to push console, even when they were mostly financial failures. But Sony coudn't spend money without limit, if it didn't help vita to grow anyway. 

Wii U has much better software sales than Vita.

The first best thing said in my opinion.

It is all about economics, when the financials look thin you bring it down to what is making a profit. The unit itself has the capacity to be a success if the business model is seen as a viable platform.

Sony continue to support it in the model that fits for them financially with high profile items still appearing where the quality is high. They are also looking to bring extra value for other developers that have product to bring to the party.

The success of Vita would be good for the industry IMO since PSP and Vita both pushed the innovation that gets the creative juices flowing. Such innovation leads directly to improvements such as those seen by the PS4 dualshock controller for example. We see this extended with Morpheus and a willingness by Sony (and others) to break new ground.

A nod to Microsoft here for the work they are doing with Kinect and its innovations.

RolStoppable said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
RolStoppable said:

Overall support? You mean including all third party games? That's not the topic of this thread.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

whether or not the Vita has been adequately supported is subjective, but the "Vita gets no support...

All the support is the topic of this thread, hardware, software, 1st party, 3rd party, apps, system. 

Anything less than a comparison of Vita games releases per year is insufficient for me. I'm unconcerned with reasons for Vita abandonment, and I find that comparison to predecessors or competition in drastically different and much better scenarios are irrelevant.

As a concession, abandonment of software support can be valid in its own right, which is clearly what most posters mean when they say "Sony's dropped the Vita", but even then nobody is providing evidence of this. 

Okay, then let me explain.

When people say that Sony is abandoning/has abandoned the Vita, they mean Sony as a first party developer. On the other hand, you read the same words as "absolutely everything concerning the Vita", so you understand the statement as "the Vita is a completely dead platform".

And that's why I call you theprof00 Junior, because things that seem logical to the great majority are interpreted vastly different by you. Well, that and lashing out at people who disagree with you.

Well, this thread is about convincing me. And its not my fault people don't say what they mean. 

Common Sense is hardly logical. 

I never do not "lash out" out with people I disagree with. I disagree with the points themselves if I don't find them to be satisfactory. 

badgenome said:
Sony didn't abandon it because they were never there for it to begin with.

Thread should have ended here :P

hinch said:
badgenome said:
Sony didn't abandon it because they were never there for it to begin with.

Thread should have ended here :P

Completely agree. At this point it's just OP trying to justify his points through very niche points (hardware and indie support). Sony has never been able to give the Vita adequate support, and the little they did fell off after the first year or two. If they did, I'm sure we would have seen the bountiful amounts of exclusive AA and AAA games available on the system, as Sony promised, rather than one AA game and a hoard of ports, remakes, and indies.

Ah, but what am I saying, obviously my judgment is clouded since I own the actual console :P

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Hey, its not my fault that people stuck in their own assumptions can't explain their own opinions well.

In the OP, I clearly stated what would convince me of abandonment, a clear outlining of Vita support declining over its lifetime. Instead, I get the same rehashed arguments expecting me to simply accept the opinion without any valid evidence to support it.

Is it really that hard to consider both sides of the argument?