By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Explain: Sony abandoning the Vita

padib said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Well, this thread is about convincing me. And its not my fault people don't say what they mean. 

Common Sense is hardly logical. 

I never do not "lash out" out with people I disagree with. I disagree with the points themselves if I don't find them to be satisfactory. 

Good luck getting Rol to reply to you after this kind of reply. Trust me I've been there

The thing is Dr. Henry, you are asking the community to explain what they mean by "Sony abandoning the Vita", and Rol gave you the exact answer. Sony may get all the 3rd party games in the world, it doesn't change a fundamental fact, that Sony themselves have stopped putting stock in the Vita themselves.

And that's why the phrase "Sony abandoned the Vita" is really irrelevant if thought otherwise (like you're proposing). So you're proposing a different understanding of the phrase while asking people to explain what they mean by that same phrase which they use to point something valid out. You just can't do that and expect people to appreciate your position in the argument.

Fair enough.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
VanceIX said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Hey, its not my fault that people stuck in their own assumptions can't explain their own opinions well.

In the OP, I clearly stated what would convince me of abandonment, a clear outlining of Vita support declining over its lifetime. Instead, I get the same rehashed arguments expecting me to simply accept the opinion without any valid evidence to support it.

Is it really that hard to consider both sides of the argument?

You seem to think that Sony not directly impeding devs from releasing games on the platform = supporting the platform. That is the fundamental problem. Just because there are a lot of indie ports released compared to launch from third-party devs does not mean Sony supports the system. Sony supporting the system would mean them releasing good games consistently for it, which they absolutely are not (look at Rol's links). 

You are simply fundamentally wrong in assuming that third-party support means straight up support from Sony. Sony has, at this point, started advertising the Vita as more of a companion machine than a dedicated handheld, a vastly different reality than what they promised starting out. Do you think early adopters wanted a steady stream of ports and indies? No, we I expected many AAA games, from both Sony and third-party, that took advantage of the handheld. Instead, Sony stops making games for it, and third-party devs only do ports and indies, with the occasional JRPG coming our way (which, half the time, is also a port).

Your expectation of "support", in the end, makes no sense. What, did you expect Sony to just cancel the Vita? Nah. If you want to see an example of the lack of support, just look at shelf space. Very few retailers even carry Vita games anymore, and those that do carry only a few, if even. That's a stark example of how far Sony has let it fall, when the majority library is digital indie releases that play better on different consoles.

Look, let me make myself clear.

Since we are now moving the goalposts from adequate support to adequate software support, let me once again specify what will convince me: Show me the amount of software releases declining from 2011 to now. That and only that will provide sufficient evidence. For everything else. i'll address it briefly.

If Sony is encouraging indies to support the system, it might not be good enough for you but different people have different preferences.

Goal posts have now been moved from providing game as support to providing good games consistently as support, how are you defining good games?

Why is encoraging 3rd parties to support a platform not count?

Circumstances change, how is attempting to pair the device with one that is selling hotcakes not supporting the system and trying to sell it? Just because they didn't keep their promises? Not to mention a big thing advertised about the Vita was that it was console like play on a handheld, wouldn't Cross-Play and ports support this vision? Especially since every single game on the PS4 has a mandatory cross play requirement.

What qualifies you to speak on behalf of all the Vita owners/Early adopters? Why does being a port or indie automatically mean the game is not of quality or good? Why does a AAA game automatically be considered good? Again why is it only "Good" games that count as support?

What's stopping Sony from making a Vita game in the future?

Why does Sony rebranding and remodlelling the device not count as an attempt to address a different market and subsequently increase sales resulting in greater incentive to support the platform? Isn't that supporting the software prospectives of the platform?

Why is it Sony's fault that retailers won't order more consoles because its not selling well enough? What IP could the Vita possibly have to compete against anything the 3DS has let alone Smartphones?

I'm not disagreeing just for the sake of disagreement, I'm opening the floor to change that of my own opinion. The issue is my concerns aren't being addressed, they are being avoided.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Its simple really.In my mind why Sony pulled support away from Vita because it didn't sell well from almost the beginning. Now you can argue the reasons why it didn't sell, but in the end this is really the only reason why Sony abandoned it. Sony needs to all its resources into area where it can make profits and the PS4 is the main area in the video game market for them and not Vita.

Mike_L said:
Anfebious said:
Vita has no support, that's a fact not an opinion.

Wtf? I enjoy my Vita more than any other console at the moment. Do you even have one? Funny how people that don't own a Vita often complain the most.

This!

This basically puts everything in context. The Vita pretty much has all genres covered, especially RPGs, fighting games and first-person shooters. What other handheld/mobile game has the quality and production values of Killzone: Mercenary? Or excellent ports of top fighting games like Mortal Kombat 9, MvC3, Injustice? Even the PS1 classics(Crash, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, Spyro), indies and PSP classics are excellent. The racing genre is slightly under-developer and could use a Gran Turismo/Forza style game though and I would love for the Vita to get more old school arcade ports(Snow Bros!). Add remote play to the mix and I consider the Vita to be an amazing machine. I own 3 OLED models myself.

Lots of people say Sony did not support it but I do not think that is true. Uncharted GA, Killzone: Mercenary, Tearaway, Gravity Rush, Little Big Planet, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, Freedom Wars, The Jak & Dexter collection, GOW collection, Sly collection, Wipeout 2048... I'm questioning whether some people know what support really means.

I really hope the Vita makes a come back but it is looking doubtful. Quite a shame because Sony did go the extra mile with the OLED screen(now sadly discontinued), twin analog sticks(with Nintendo being ten years behind as usual), Remote Play feature and having Uncharted GA as a launch title. Even today when I show people Uncharted GA running on an OLED Vita, they are blown away by the visuals, even with smart phones having superior hardware nowadays.

NightDragon83 said:
This is the "worst generation for handhelds" because Vita's sales are terrible, not the other way around.

And both the 3DS and Vita were way overpriced when they were released... a $250 handheld was NEVER going to be successful. Notice how the 3DS's sales finally picked up after it was dropped below $200, and it has plenty of quality software, along with the 2DS for those on a budget. Vita meanwhile is still $200+ with literally no games. Not hard to see why this is the "worst generation for handhelds".

PSP launched will 250$ too and come with 32mb and the price of a 1gb memory card was 200$ but PSP still sell well

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network
Devil_Survivor said:
Its simple really.In my mind why Sony pulled support away from Vita because it didn't sell well from almost the beginning. Now you can argue the reasons why it didn't sell, but in the end this is really the only reason why Sony abandoned it. Sony needs to all its resources into area where it can make profits and the PS4 is the main area in the video game market for them and not Vita.

The thing is though, is that Sony is going to get its ass kicked in home consoles at some point in the future by either Microsoft or Nintendo again. So if they abandon handhelds and they get smashed on consoles again, what do they have to fall back on? Gaikai?

bubblegamer said:
Sony shouldn't support the Vita anymore than it's doing. It's just common sense. Then again it's not that common if you look at the state of some other consoles.

Well those other consoles you allude to are and were not never as hopeless as the Vita.

Deeds said:
Devil_Survivor said:

The thing is though, is that Sony is going to get its ass kicked in home consoles at some point in the future by either Microsoft or Nintendo again. So if they abandon handhelds and they get smashed on consoles again, what do they have to fall back on? Gaikai?

They have other profit making divsions such as Sony Pictures for example.

They supported it but no-one bought it and i think it would be to expensive to try and revive it and Sony just can't afford to do so. But there's still a lot of great indie games coming out for it and Freedom Wars is coming soon so i'll be picking that up for sure.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
NightDragon83 said:
This is the "worst generation for handhelds" because Vita's sales are terrible, not the other way around.

And both the 3DS and Vita were way overpriced when they were released... a $250 handheld was NEVER going to be successful. Notice how the 3DS's sales finally picked up after it was dropped below $200, and it has plenty of quality software, along with the 2DS for those on a budget. Vita meanwhile is still $200+ with literally no games. Not hard to see why this is the "worst generation for handhelds".

Smartphones are why.

40 million 3DS units say hello.