By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Explain: Sony abandoning the Vita

Support was ok. In 2 years we saw around 6 high profile releases with good developers behind them.

Uncharted Golden Abyss
Gravity Rush
Little Big Planet
Soul Sacrifice
Killzone M.
TearAway

Not great but its definitely something. I guess the argument is more that Sony should have supported the Vita better in terms of decisions they made both internally and in collaboration with 3rd parties. Too many of the good games were cross platform and too many of the exclusives were good but not great. I think they even said they anticipated a lot more (and better) 3rd party support in terms of exclusives and that was a big mistake.

Little Big Planet Vita I think is the only exclusive that really positioned itself as a system seller for that platform, unfortunately it needed more games of the same quality and handheld appeal. Gravity rush could have been a thing but it was released in a drought and too empty of a game.

Sony ignored some amazing opportunities until it was too late, they green lit the wrong games, helped port the wrong games and done a poor job of pushing the Vita marketing wise.

Still confused by the lack of a Vita exclusive; God of War, GTA HD collection, Grand Turismo, Jak and Daxter, Elderscrolls type portable experience and a big budget JRPG. Maybe sony didn't want to be a tyrant and instruct developers to make specific games, but sometimes you need get specific content out there to really sell your system. Every console Nintendo has a Mario Kart being readied, a pokemon being readied...

Like who actually asked for a portable Uncharted, Killzone, Resistance... All cool franchises, but If sony were really wanted to test the waters for that ''mature'' western market of gritty action games, a solid Call of Duty game would have done the deal. But they apparently messed that up too.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

When you can't comprehend the question, its unlikely you'll give the right answer.
Still waiting on that Vita games comparison.

And to be honest, part of me already knows that declining support is actually the case, and that it makes a strong support for the opinion of Sony's treatment of the Vita.

However, it's both typical and disappointing that this thread is 12 pages in and no one has given me what I've asked for. So emotionally blinded by opinions and assumptions that the posters in this thread don't even do the simple research to back up their arguments, instead citing sales as if the reason Vita sales dropped was because of support and not the other way as well, ignoring the fact that the two are interconnected.

I simply don't have the patience to explain why for the umpteenth time, anything else is invalid.

Apparently because I'm not convinced of the "Abandonment Claim" I'm not only disagreeing with it but I'm also blinded by the fact that I'm a Sony fan rather than wanting some evidence. But hey, asking for logic is way too much to ask.

EDIT: Common Sense isn't good enough for me, sorry. I think its pretty stupid to believe something solely because everyone else does.

If your current approach has proven to be that fruitless, then it's a good time to change the rules of the game. So instead of asking people to provide the proof that Sony has abandoned/is abandoning the Vita, you will provide the proof for your side of the argument (that Sony has not abandoned the Vita). So far you have failed to do so.

Well here's the thing, Rol.

My side of the argument is that I am not convinced of either claim not that (Sony has not abandoned the Vita) . I don't need evidence to support a neutral standpoint. Notice how the thread title is not making a declarative statement but instead asking for the explanation of the following claim. Instead of saying "I don't believe" I say, "I don't understand".

The lack of proof is why I can't reach a conclusion, I'm not asserting one.

EDIT:

It's simple really, since we are assuming support = software support

If the amount of games increase per year of the Vita then its getting more support,

if the amount of games decreases per year of the Vita then its getting less support,

ignore third party games if limiting it to 1st party support,

set an arbitrary Metascore if limiting to games with X meta or above (since its the closest metric to a game's quality you will get)

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Lack of early support, particularly exclusives (1st and 3rd party).
Flooded with ports and multiplats.
Expensive propriety memory card.
No marketing.

BONUS: I feel the PSP sold very well because it could easily be hacked and the Vita cannot.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

The 3DS has the exact same competition and is killing it right now. Let's not pretend like the 3DS was always selling well either (also, google ign's colin and his rant on how the 3DS is a failure and the vita is set to succeed). It was flopping hard when it first release. It was doing worse than when the Vita first released for christs sake! But unlike Sony, Nintendo actually put effort into turning it around and now look. The Vita is practically dead and the 3DS is going strong and raking in the money. Sony gave up on it. Plain and simple. The dropped support, and those who bought into it are left to twiddle their thumbs playing crappy indies.

Also, name 2 big titles coming out for the Vita that we should care about. Niche Japanese games don't count. Exactly, you can't. Sad to say, but Sony killed the Vita.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, its the illusion of knowledge

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

[...]

My side of the argument is that I am not convinced of either claim not that (Sony has not abandoned the Vita) . I don't need evidence to support a neutral standpoint. Notice how the thread title is not making a declarative statement but instead asking for the explanation of the following claim. Instead of saying "I don't believe" I say, "I don't understand".

EDIT:

If the amount of games increase per year of the Vita then its getting more support,

if the amount of games decreases per year of the Vita then its getting less support,

set an arbitrary Metascore if limiting to games with X meta or above (since its the closest metric to a game's quality you will get)

I can't really tell whether Sony is supporting or abandoning Vita, but sales tell us that if it's still supporting it, it isn't doing it properly or enough.
It can be wrong strategies and timing or lack of resources, or a mix of these things, or it could even be deliberate (for reasons we ignore, but if could be for lack of resources and impossibility of supporting it too during the first efforts to launch PS4 and supporting its leadership in the longer term).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

If they are still supporting the Vita then they are doing a shitty job of it.

Because they are trying to feed us shitty indie games which we can get for 10p on PC - no-one bought a vita for that purpose.

The last big western game they released I believe was KZ mercenary like a year ago.

Apart from that, its a lot of ports (not great ones either), and japanese stuff which if we are lucky then it comes to the west.

AAA third party games have dried up too compared to the first year.

Even Sony doesn't care about the PlayStation Vita so why should other developers care about the PlayStation Vita?

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

EDIT:

Well here's the thing Dr.Henry_Killinger 

You mean your position of willfull ignorance.  You are posting on a site that contains the data you want someone else to present to you.  In the top left corner hit Chartz then go to game totals and select Vita as the console. You get 3 pages of results. Tally them by year and you've done enough research to answer your own question.  No one wants to help someone whom obviously refuses to help themselves.  

Support might mostly = software support but numbers alone are not a good measurement at least not for this audience.  iOS has more games than anything ever if it's only about direct quantity and you don't see many people around here praising the platform.  Most people especially on this site don't judge that way.  They look at scope, quality(this is why you hear lower metacritic scores dismissed).  Remember the context of your audience. If you purposefully ignore it then you also wont recieve any serious answers.  

nitekrawler1285 said:
-snip

Please read my comment preceding the one you quoted.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank