By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I think Grand Theft Auto IV will sell over 11 million worldwide this year.

i think it will pass 11 million life time but not in this year

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

I'm still pretty skeptical about GTA4 coming anywhere close to the earlier parts. The sales of the earlier parts came from the tens of millions of casual PS2 owners who had maybe 3-4 games, two of which had names starting with Grand Theft. HD consoles still cost way more than most of that market segment is willing to pay for video games.

I could very well be wrong, but I'll be surprised if the game reached 6 million on both consoles combined.

Yeah I agree and SSBB will NOT sell more than this game (PS360).

Edit: I think your Canada number is too low I'd say close to 1M in Canada (if you predict 700 000 in USA) since it represents 10% of States and since it has less users,  it will have more people buying it proportionaly. If you know what I mean. 

A lot of different opinions. Well it could be an even share of GTA 4 on XBox 360 and PS3 worldwide. Historically $200 is the optimum price where consoles make their most sales.

wow, only 300k for Canada? I bet you it will sell double that. I've talked to a few co-worked and they are VERY interested in GTAIV

Let's just say, Take 2 rejected a 2 billion dollars takeover because they are so confident in this game, if it gets awesome review, it will probably break 10 million in first year.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

@parokki

how can you say that

COD4 reached 7 million 2 consoles COMBINED

YOU excpect GTA IV to do less??

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I see that number as very plausible indeed, and lt sales across all platforms could top 15 million! I also suppose that at least half of those sales will be in the US.
The only real contender I see for topping these sales is Mario Kart!

darthdevidem01 said:
@parokki

how can you say that

COD4 reached 7 million 2 consoles COMBINED

YOU excpect GTA IV to do less??

Well, I think that this GTA IV will show us the actual demographics of the series.  I have personally been wondering just who exactly buys it. 

To get to the point, I also think that the other GTA games sold mostly to casuals.  If this is true, and a majority of PS3/360 owners are core gamers, then we can probably assume that the sales of GTA IV will be quite a bit lower than the ones before it.

Now, having said that, I still think that GTA IV has a good chance of breaking 10 million units over its life if it has good legs. 

GTA will not make it over 10 million...if it does ill take a month Banned

Sounds about right in total, but I think the USA:Europe ratio will be different,... in the end GTAIV will sell more in Europe overall by having better legs, but the launch period won't be as heavily USA as that I don't think... more lke 6:4.5 (plus as you say, more in Canada, and depending on release date, some in Japan too)

Oh, lifetime it won't sell that much more than the 10-11 million this year though... I think combined LTD will be around 14 million (compared to GTA:SA which has sold 15 million on PS2 alone)