By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon ORAS: You Can Fly Now.. No Seriously, You can Actually Fly above the Region Now Star Fox Style :0

All I can say is:

:O

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Around the Network
spemanig said:

It's just annoying. Pokemon is my favorite franchise, but it's biggest flaw is that it throws away huge improvements with newer iterations. Where's the Pokemon following you? Where's the seasons? Where's the trainer customization? Why are there no secret bases in newer regions? Why is there no villa in other regions? Why aren't there Battle Subways, Battle Frontiers, Pokemon Contests, Pokestar Studios, Pokeathlons, etc in every region following their inception? Pokemon could be a franchise where every new iteration packs more content than the last, but instead just becomes a franchise where every new iteration packs more Pokemon than the last. It's just annoying.

Where is Fludd in Super Mario Glaxy? Why is there no 8-player option in Mario Party 9? Where are the transformation masks in Skyward Sword? Why are there no two-seated karts in Mario Kart 8?

Answer: Because certain features are only fun once, and by making you revisit them in their original form you will remember them (as well as the games they appeared in) more fondly. This is part of what makes Nintendo's remakes such as Wind Waker HD so highly regarded: People don't want to have another Zelda with a vaster ocean and more islands, they want to revisit how it felt to explore the original ocean the first time. Likewise, people don't want to have another Mario Kart with two-seated karts, because they can just play the original game or hope for a re-release of some sort. Nintendo recognizes this.

The same can't be said about most video game developers who try to make each new iteration in any given franchise outshine its predecessor in every aspect rather than trying to make each new entry unique. This does not only render the older entries dated, forgettable and obsolete, but makes the series as a whole stale.

I just had a mild heart attack. This is so awesome and something I never thought they'd do in just a remake game like this.

Reminds me of DQ8

That's a pretty cool feature

OMG!!!!!

Viewing this on my xl with 3D on
I hope they continue to add much more ( but it is a remake)

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Where is Fludd in Super Mario Glaxy? Why is there no 8-player option in Mario Party 9? Where are the transformation masks in Skyward Sword? Why are there no two-seated karts in Mario Kart 8?

Answer: Because certain features are only fun once, and by making you revisit them in their original form you will remember them (as well as the games they appeared in) more fondly. This is part of what makes Nintendo's remakes such as Wind Waker HD so highly regarded: People don't want to have another Zelda with a vaster ocean and more islands, they want to revisit how it felt to explore the original ocean the first time. Likewise, people don't want to have another Mario Kart with two-seated karts, because they can just play the original game or hope for a re-release of some sort. Nintendo recognizes this.

The same can't be said about most video game developers who try to make each new iteration in any given franchise outshine its predecessor in every aspect rather than trying to make each new entry unique. This does not only render the older entries dated, forgettable and obsolete, but makes the series as a whole stale.

Pokemon following you was an improvement. Costomizable trainers is an improvement. Seasons were an improvement. Two seated cars SHOULD be an option in Mario Kart. Sea traversial SHOULD be a stable in Zelda. Those aren't features only fun once. Those should be staples that are expanded upon. You're literally lauding Nintendo for making their games worse. Yes, game developers SHOULD be trying to outshine their previous games. And no, that doesn't mean those games can't be unique.

spemanig said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Pokemon following you was an improvement. Costomizable trainers is an improvement. Seasons were an improvement. Two seated cars SHOULD be an option in Mario Kart. Sea traversial SHOULD be a stable in Zelda. Those aren't features only fun once. Those should be staples that are expanded upon. You're literally lauding Nintendo for making their games worse. Yes, game developers SHOULD be trying to outshine their previous games. And no, that doesn't mean those games can't be unique.

I disagree with you on the Customizable trainers. This is a remake, there is no need to add everything in the game especially when the remake has to refocus on soooo many other things (like contest/secret bases, something XY doesn't have).

I bet trainer customization will return in Z (or watever its called) and future generations. TBH, i kinda knew they wouldn't bring that back, if they added everything, the games wouldn't be finished and we probably still be in gen 5 today :0

tbone51 said:

I disagree with you on the Customizable trainers. This is a remake, there is no need to add everything in the game especially when the remake has to refocus on soooo many other things (like contest/secret bases, something XY doesn't have).

I bet trainer customization will return in Z (or watever its called) and future generations. TBH, i kinda knew they wouldn't bring that back, if they added everything, the games wouldn't be finished and we probably still be in gen 5 today :0

I think you're harshly overestimating how much effort it would take to literally copy/paste the current customization system and add a few extra clothing items. And the remake excuse doesn't hold up at all. Not when Pokemon takes strides to make their remakes fit in with the parelell generation as much as possible.

spemanig said:
tbone51 said:

I think you're harshly overestimating how much effort it would take to literally copy/paste the current customization system and add a few extra clothing items. And the remake excuse doesn't hold up at all. Not when Pokemon takes strides to make their remakes fit in with the parelell generation as much as possible.

Yes exactly, as much as possible. And im not overestimating anything, you think its pretty quick to add all those things you previously mentioned? Seasons/PokemonFollowing/Flying over a region/Customization/etc. Adding just 3 of many  would take months.

As much fun as I had dressing up my trainer like Ennis (Baccano!), I don't really mind that it it is not back. This is a remake...it doesn't need every feature, especially when it has things that X/Y didn't even have.