By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bayonetta 2 - an expression of freedom and not sexism

Is Bayonetta 2 sexist?

No 308 71.46%

Yes 73 16.94%

See Results 50 11.60%

Total:431
Tachikoma said:
curl-6 said:

Go back and actually play Bayonetta. 

It's a game about a woman who humiliates, outdoes, and destroys her male adversaries. A woman who wear her sexuality with pride and draws strength from it both figurativey and literally. There is nothing sexist about sexuality.

Kindly don't make assumptions, I own Bayonetta 2, and despite the choice of unlockable attire I own the latest Fatal Frame, too.

However, owning or not owning the game makes zero difference to the fact that the game clearly potrays a woman that takes on the appearance of the main character,  being tortured sexually,, in this very method:

I am not saying the game is sexist, I am however saying it is not empowering to women.

She's not the main character though, and she is in fact tortured by Bayonetta.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Read the edit.

Abuse is not empowerment.

curl-6 said:
bubblegamer said:
curl-6 said:

As if you were ever open to any opinion that doesn't align with yours...

Of course i was/am. After all i'd like to shake up this perserved heterosexual society we live in, but everything with decensy in mind. Nothing is gained by going vulgar.

There's nothing wrong with sexuality; sex is a normal, healthy part of life.

Who are you arguing with? No one said that lol.

Tachikoma said:
curl-6 said:

Read the edit.

You're a woman, what do you know? Didn't you know that men know better what sexually empowered women entail!

Tachikoma said:
curl-6 said:

Read the edit.

She tortures all her enemies. It would be a double standard not to do the same to female enemies. Empowerment is a key element of S&M.

Around the Network

First: I don't mind.

But the reasonings I've read so far are really, really twisted. Most people point to Bayonetta being a murderous, sadistic, hyperviolent protagonist as a proof that she's "in control of her sexuality". So does that mean that the only "legitimate" depiction of sex is if it's violent?

That's mindboggling, and it's just so American again, I'm sorry to say. My problem with Bayonetta is not that it's a sexist game (I'd say it is, she's basically pole dancing through the game), but that it's bloody and cruel. I've played a bit of it and I was appalled. Torture attack? Punishment? Ripping off an enemies head and punching its torso with it, with a seductive smile on her face? What is wrong with people?

And don't give me the "but the enemies are not humans, they're angels and demons" nonsense.

Have fun with the game everyone, It looks stylish and is very polished. But it's the kind of content I'd rather not see on a Nintendo console.

bubblegamer said:
curl-6 said:
bubblegamer said:

Of course i was/am. After all i'd like to shake up this perserved heterosexual society we live in, but everything with decensy in mind. Nothing is gained by going vulgar.

There's nothing wrong with sexuality; sex is a normal, healthy part of life.

Who are you arguing with? No one said that lol.

You keep degrading Bayonetta's open sexuality as not "decent". There's nothing indecent about sexuality.

bubblegamer said:

You're a woman, what do you know? Didn't you know that men know better what sexually empowered women entail!

My gender doesn't really make a difference, it's just a very basic principle of empowerment and abuse being different things, if a man punches a woman in the face, that's abuse, calling it empowerment is wrong.

Tachikoma said:
bubblegamer said:

My gender doesn't really make a difference, it's just a very basic principle of empowerment and abuse being different things, if a man punches a woman in the face, that's abuse, calling it empowerment is wrong.

Well Beyonetta is empowered it seems, so she's allowed. People use terms without knowing what they mean.

curl-6 said:

You keep degrading Bayonetta's open sexuality as not "decent". There's nothing indecent about sexuality.

Maybe you should read back then? No one said sex is indecent, you are trying to act as if i did. I'm saying the way Beyonetta depicts it is indecent.