By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bayonetta 2 - an expression of freedom and not sexism

Is Bayonetta 2 sexist?

No 308 71.46%

Yes 73 16.94%

See Results 50 11.60%

Total:431
SlayerRondo said:

A someone who does not own a WiiU I have been waiting for the current catolog of games to justify the purchase for me. And with games like Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart U and Pikmin 3 I was one game away from wanting to get a WiiU and that game is Bayonetta 2.

Having seen the great review scores for the game going up I was very happy to see the overwhelmingly positive feedback with all reviews at the time giving the game a 9/10 or higher, bar one review from Polygon.

Over time I have had to temper myself from getting upset over review scores that may be lower than the average for a game am now anticipating. So rather than commenting on polygon I went and read the review to see why they did not like the game.

To summarize why polygon reviewed the game lower is the over the top displays of sexuality in Bayonetta 2. Having read the review I was having a hard time believing that this was the case.

To begin with the character of Bayonetta in the game is in no way subservient to any male or female character as one would expect of a character who is simply an object. Rather than Bayonetta's baring it all style overshadowing her personality it matches it perfectly in a way that really shows us her own over the top attitude and liberation.

The reviewer may have been uncomfortable with what the game was trying to do, but I believe that a game reviewers should try to review games based on their quality rather than their themes. If a game can be criticized for being to sexual than can games like Gears of War and The Last of Us have points taken off for being to violent?

Let me know what you think.

The theme is part of the game and damn well should have been included in a review. Games should have been doing this a long time ago as chainmail bikinis and vapid female characters subsidised by absurd proportions have been around for far too long. It is lazy character design from the gaming world and as you get older, you become more fed up with it.

Put it this way, what does it add to the game besides getting young teenage guys excited? And how many games do male characters have 12 inch dicks knocking about in their trousers?

Around the Network

Nah. The game isn't sexist. People who take offense to it should look at themselves though. As a game, it is a work of art. Its open to interpretation. The reviewer told more about himself in the review than anything else. He didn't see a great work of art with fantastic set pieces, he saw a woman wearing next to nothing and he felt ashamed of himself and his feelings. And this is reflected in his review.
People will take whatever they want when they view a work of art. All we can do as gamers is view the work ourselves and draw our own conclusions.

I totally disagree with the OP ...

I don't mind games having over sexualized themes but including them in combat is stupid since it achieves the opposite of the desired affect. It maybe funny yet at the same time it's silly and annoying since it provokes the audience to be turned on in a serious moment of action, however it just makes the game less cool.

I think the reviewer didn't understand that its part of the whole bayonetta crazy experience. Its like giving a bad review to Gears of War just because of its violence, at that point I don't think the reviewer has anymore credibility in my opinion.

NavyNut said:
I think the reviewer didn't understand that its part of the whole bayonetta crazy experience. Its like giving a bad review to Gears of War just because of its violence, at that point I don't think the reviewer has anymore credibility in my opinion.

Your logic would mean that if a game was flat out racist, it is fine because it is part of the "experience".

bunchanumbers said:
Nah. The game isn't sexist. People who take offense to it should look at themselves though. As a game, it is a work of art. Its open to interpretation. The reviewer told more about himself in the review than anything else. He didn't see a great work of art with fantastic set pieces, he saw a woman wearing next to nothing and he felt ashamed of himself and his feelings. And this is reflected in his review. 
People will take whatever they want when they view a work of art. All we can do as gamers is view the work ourselves and draw our own conclusions.

How is having a lead female who looks like a stripper "a work of art"? Next you'll be saying nicki minaj "anaconda" is fine as it is a "work of art". So where do you draw the line between art and flat out sexism/cheap titillation?

And you have failed to grasp "his feelings". When I see crap liek Bayonetta, it annoys me as it shows how lazy devs still are and that they are aiming at the younger market rather than the older group. Also, when older guys see characters like that it doesn't turn them on as it is a game - their girlfriends take care of that problem for them.

Around the Network
TheJimbo1234 said:
NavyNut said:

Your logic would mean that if a game was flat out racist, it is fine because it is part of the "experience".

bunchanumbers said:

How is having a lead female who looks like a stripper "a work of art"? Next you'll be saying nicki minaj "anaconda" is fine as it is a "work of art". So where do you draw the line between art and flat out sexism/cheap titillation?

And you have failed to grasp "his feelings". When I see crap liek Bayonetta, it annoys me as it shows how lazy devs still are and that they are aiming at the younger market rather than the older group. Also, when older guys see characters like that it doesn't turn them on as it is a game - their girlfriends take care of that problem for them.

I think you don't understand Bayonetta, its not sexism as she empowers the female form and she would crush her opponents using her vagina.

NavyNut said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
NavyNut said:

bunchanumbers said:

I think you don't understand Bayonetta, its not sexism as she empowers the female form and she would crush her opponents using her vagina.

And this is the problem with gamers. The attitude you have is dire. If she was empowered, then why is she half naked? When did a guy dress like that in a game? Oh right - never.

TheJimbo1234 said:
NavyNut said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
NavyNut said:

bunchanumbers said:

And this is the problem with gamers. The attitude you have is dire. If she was empowered, then why is she half naked? When did a guy dress like that in a game? Oh right - never.

I guess you are too prude to understand the reason behind this. Beside if racism would be incorporate in a game like Bayonetta then you would be a black sidekick with an imposing dong beating his opponents with his junk.

I'm surprised 58 people seem to think that it is sexist... the odd part Bayonetta was designed by a female... If anyone brings up misogyny in games or whatever about this title I will firmly slap them in the face. Considering I have somewhat of an attraction to powerful females says a lot about me :P 

TheJimbo1234 said:

You never played Gof of War have you? 

Guy in loin cloth, mostly naked. Sleeps with prostitutes and goddesses in sex minigames.... you know guys never dress like that, Guys in that era did wear full robes too so Kratos kinda puts a big hole in your logic