By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry Face-Off: Alien: Isolation (Why PS4 is not 60fps?)

Guitarguy said:

My Bravia is 100hz, will that cause judder on most games or am I talking about something different to refresh rate?

Your TV is 50/60Hz, and it says 100 instead of 120Hz only because of your region's legacy SD TV signals (PAL), has nothing to do with the specs of the TV. In general TVs rated 100/120Hz all have a 50/60Hz panel. You'd need a 200/240Hz TV at least to get a 100/120Hz panel, yet how those TVs interpet odd framerate signals is up to the manufacturer.

Around the Network
LemonSlice said:
Guitarguy said:

My Bravia is 100hz, will that cause judder on most games or am I talking about something different to refresh rate?

Your TV is 50/60Hz, and it says 100 instead of 120Hz only because of your region's legacy SD TV signals (PAL), has nothing to do with the specs of the TV. In general TVs rated 100/120Hz all have a 50/60Hz panel. You'd need a 200/240Hz TV at least to get a 100/120Hz panel, yet how those TVs interpet odd framerate signals is up to the manufacturer.

Thanks for that, good to know. I don't watch TV, just use my Bravia for gaming and blu ray :P Would my TV be both 50 and 60Hz? I'm pretty sure I've seen it say 60Hz on screen. 200Hz TVs are still mega expensive :P

ethomaz said:

TheAdjustmentBureau said:

To be honest I don't play games with capture technology telling me what the game is doing at every second. It played fine for us. I don't need a digital foundry to tell me if a game plays well. I just try it. It's no medal of honour on ps1. I enjoyed what I played. Watched my mate play some. Looked good, was fun and ran fine.

You don't need capture technology to tell that... framerate drops is easy visible... Zelda OoT was fun and amazing, it is one of the best game I ever played but the framerate was terrible... GT5 is the best game I played last gen and it runs close to 60fps but in tracks like Monza drops to 50fps is perceptible and really breaks the immersion.

This game didn't run well even on PC... that is sad.

So, the enjoyment of the game has little to nothing to do with framerate in alot of games, good to now we agree on that point :). You focus way to much on finding negative things about X1, there are alot of us that actually enjoy it very much.

ethomaz said:

curl-6 said:

Makes sense. The CPUs are the weakest links of all three current gen systems.

But the game is not CPU bound... an old Dual-core on PC sustain it at 60fps.

PC performance tests indicate that it doesn't use much multithreading (or at all) and that it's highly dependent on the performance per core. A i3 dual core with 3.5 GHz was better than a AMD 8 core with 5.0 GHz. A single i3 Intel core @ 3.5 GHz is actually more powerful than a single AMD FX core @ 5 GHz (in other benchmarks). Now imagine an AMD CPU at 1.6 GHz...

We had some graphs here: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=191359&page=1

Guitarguy said:
LemonSlice said:
Guitarguy said:

Thanks for that, good to know. With my TV being 50/60 Hz, would it be less/more desirable for playing games compared to a TV that is 200/240HZ? 200Hz TV's are still mega expensive :P

Well, it being a good TV or not nas nothing to do with how many Hz it has. A good TV is a good TV, regardless of the specs.

TVs with high Hz enable better image interpolation (MotionFlow). You don't want to use that feature in games, or any of the extra features really, as it lowers the input lag drastically and makes games harder to play. And it makes movies look like unnatural crap, IMO.

What you might want to do, though, is get a TV with high Hz for reasons other than that. Being more expensive, these TVs still have a higher quality panel and other components and better build quality. Every extra feature can always be turned off anyway.

Three years ago I could not find a 50/60Hz TV that was satisfactory simply because of the components that go into these TVs.

Around the Network

Maybe they lock the game at 30fps for a future update to make it Morpheus compatible without having to downgrade the visuals or the framerate. This game would be awesome with Morpheus.

fluidity is objective, some tv's do well to hide lower framerates, my tv makes Destiny look and feel a hell of a lot smoother than the 30fps my monitor displays it at, so theres this playing a factor too.

ethomaz said:

I forgot to quote that part...

"Judging by PC results on lower-end hardware, it doesn't seem outside the realms of possibility for the PS4 - and to a lesser extent the Xbox One - to deliver something closer to a 60fps experience given the benefits of closed-box optimisation. So what could be the limiting factor on consoles? Perhaps the low-power AMD CPU cores are to blame."

we will see soon. i cand find a benchmark with a smaller amd cpu atm, but they will show up sooner or later.

than we will see if its an amd problem.  the game run fine on intels, even with older gpus( u can find some benchmarks for it with big and smaller intels).

but that doesntmean the power of the ps4 cpu is t bad, it can also mean the game isnt well optimised for 8 core cpus.  amd 8 cores lack alot of power per core...

dane007 said:
ethomaz said:
TheAdjustmentBureau said:
So was the game any good? Yeah I liked it. Played it for a bit on my mates Xbox one. Looks visually great and.played real smooth. Might get this after halo mcc.

Smooth? Weird because DF says it drops a lot in gameplay.

PS. In cutscenes even PC version shows judders.

its 97% smooth. just fromtime to time during cutscenes it drops  and that rarely occurs. playing teh game as we sepak. its freaking awesome. Playing it on xbox one. don't know if you guy know , the xbox one version uses kinect  for noise detection and head tracking. you sneeze or make an sound while playing, the alien or toher enemies will hear you and will find you and kill you .  i died once playing on hard as i accidentally sneezed when the alien was close by lol.

I don't know if you know, but the PS4 verson uses the same resources (noise detection and head tracking) if you have the PS4 camera. :p 

Creative Assembly don't have much experience with consoles and coupled with the fact they had to spread the workload out between 5 platforms so not much room for deep optimisation to take advantage of each hardware.

It could be the 60fps was dropped not just due to the low range CPUs consoles have but also because it was too variable so they went with a 30fps cap for consistency. Perhaps they should have given gamers the option to choose ala Killzone and Infamous.