By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry Face-Off: Alien: Isolation (Why PS4 is not 60fps?)

First impressions of Alien: Isolation suggested parity between the PS4 and Xbox One versions, with both sporting native 1080p visuals while sharing an extensive range of assets and graphical effects. Performance is an issue though, with PS4 commanding a distinct advantage thanks to a more consistent frame-rate and a complete lack of screen tear.

On the basis of those results, it seems like a clear win for Sony's system, but with the game available across no less than five different systems we were also interested to see how Creative Assembly's game translated onto the ageing Xbox 360 and PS3, and of course what benefits the PC version brings. On top of that, there was also those stuttering cut-scenes: what was causing that judder?

To kick things off, let's start by taking a close look at Alien: Isolation on PC. Early impressions suggest a game that is extremely easy to run at high frame-rates while requiring only modest hardware set-ups, but exactly what kind of experience are we getting compared to PS4 and Xbox One? We start by selecting a 1080p resolution to match the console versions and opt for SMAA T2x, the highest available anti-aliasing preset in the game.

Surprisingly, image quality closely reflects the consoles, with only minor differences in the AA pattern at a pixel level, leading us to believe that all three share the same basic method of dealing with jaggies. Long edges and sub-pixel details suffer from pixel crawl and shimmering, while shader aliasing is commonplace across specular reflections throughout the game. Still, while there's nothing you can do to improve image quality on console, on PC it's possible to force other anti-aliasing techniques via the GPU control panel to clean things up further.

Alien: Isolation - the Digital Foundry verdict

Creative Assembly wanted parity between PS4 and Xbox One and on the basis of image quality, detail and effects work it has managed it, but while native 1080p sharpness may please Xbox One owners, it has come at a cost, because while the Xbox One version delivers the core Alien experience mostly intact, overall immersion is compromised by frequent drops in fluidity. Performance is obviously the deciding factor here and it's clear PS4 has a distinct advantage. As such the PS4 game gets our recommendation for console owners, even though we're left with the nagging feeling that 60fps should have been possible on Sony's hardware based on the game's PC showing.

It's worth noting that Alien: Isolation takes advantage of specific features in both consoles to enrich the gameplay experience. PlayStation Camera and Kinect offer head-tracking so you can physically lean to look around corners in the game, while the microphone allows the Alien to track you via real-world audio. The DualShock 4 speaker also outputs the pulse of your motion tracker, which is a nice touch. These features can be disabled if they aren't to your taste, but we enjoyed them.

The last-gen releases of Alien: Isolation feature all of the core elements found in the PS4, Xbox One and PC releases to successfully recreate the suspense and much of the atmosphere of the top-end versions. However, the experience is compromised by low frame-rates and a rough, sub-720p presentation that makes it much harder to remain immersed. Xbox 360 gets the nod here, although some detail is lost to black crush in darker areas.

In the final analysis, the PC game is the definitive version of Alien: Isolation. While the level of graphical quality is only marginally improved over PS4 and Xbox One, the game is easy to run across a wide range of configurations, so 1080p at 60fps is achievable on older GPUs without having to dramatically lower graphical presets, while the low system requirements of the game easily open up running at 1440p at high frame-rates. A key advantage of PC gaming is the ability to scale the experience to your specific hardware, and the headroom available in Alien: Isolation opens up a vast range of options. Oculus Rift, anyone?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-alien-isolation-face-off

Around the Network

I forgot to quote that part...

"Judging by PC results on lower-end hardware, it doesn't seem outside the realms of possibility for the PS4 - and to a lesser extent the Xbox One - to deliver something closer to a 60fps experience given the benefits of closed-box optimisation. So what could be the limiting factor on consoles? Perhaps the low-power AMD CPU cores are to blame."

ethomaz said:

I forgot to quote that part...

"Judging by PC results on lower-end hardware, it doesn't seem outside the realms of possibility for the PS4 - and to a lesser extent the Xbox One - to deliver something closer to a 60fps experience given the benefits of closed-box optimisation. So what could be the limiting factor on consoles? Perhaps the low-power AMD CPU cores are to blame."

Or more likely, The Creative Assembly are to blame.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

So was the game any good? Yeah I liked it. Played it for a bit on my mates Xbox one. Looks visually great and.played real smooth. Might get this after halo mcc.

TheAdjustmentBureau said:
So was the game any good? Yeah I liked it. Played it for a bit on my mates Xbox one. Looks visually great and.played real smooth. Might get this after halo mcc.

Smooth? Weird because DF says it drops a lot in gameplay.

PS. In cutscenes even PC version shows judders.

Around the Network

Whilst obtaining 60fps probably was not impossible, isn't it said that anything inbetween 30 and 60(say 45fps locked) looks awkward due to the refresh rate of most TVs? I'm not excusing the game not being 60fps, just curious as to why a happy medium like 45fps can't be the new standard?

Guitarguy said:
Whilst obtaining 60fps probably was not impossible, isn't it said that anything inbetween 30 and 60(say 45fps locked) looks awkward due to the refresh rate of most TVs? I'm not excusing the game not being 60fps, just curious as to why a happy medium like 45fps can't be the new standard?

Due jugger... 45fps you will need to repeat 1 frame each 3... that will cause judder in a 60hz display.

30fps you repeat all the frames... so no judder.

has mostly positive reviews ( i believe it settled on 80) universial negative and positive was the AI. Either loved it or hated it, some found it unfair, but alot understood that it was trying to be more real/almost unfair unless extremely careful like the movies. imo the alien is portrayed as the alpha predator it is supposed to be and it will leave you on the edge of your seat and immersed more than any game has for quite some time.

Systems Owned: PS1, PS2, PS3,PS4, Wii, WiiU, xbox, xbox 360, xbox one

ethomaz said:
Guitarguy said:

Due jugger... 45fps you will need to repeat 1 frame each 3... that will cause judder in a 60hz display.

30fps you repeat all the frames... so no judder.

I see, thanks for that. My Bravia is 100hz, will that cause judder on most games or am I talking about something different to refresh rate?

ethomaz said:

Smooth? Weird because DF says it drops a lot in gameplay.

PS. In cutscenes even PC version shows judders.

To be honest I don't play games with capture technology telling me what the game is doing at every second. It played fine for us. I don't need a digital foundry to tell me if a game plays well. I just try it. It's no medal of honour on ps1. I enjoyed what I played. Watched my mate play some. Looked good, was fun and ran fine.