By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry Face-Off: Alien: Isolation (Why PS4 is not 60fps?)

Guitarguy said:

I see, thanks for that. My Bravia is 100hz, will that cause judder on most games or am I talking about something different to refresh rate?

I think 100hz is clearmotion, no? I don't think there are any consumer HDTV that is not native 60hz... unless you have a Monitor and not HDTV.

BTW HDMI didn't support more than 60hz too... so even if you have a Monitor with native 100Hz you will need a PC with Dual-DVI to use at that reflesh rate.

Around the Network

TheAdjustmentBureau said:

To be honest I don't play games with capture technology telling me what the game is doing at every second. It played fine for us. I don't need a digital foundry to tell me if a game plays well. I just try it. It's no medal of honour on ps1. I enjoyed what I played. Watched my mate play some. Looked good, was fun and ran fine.

You don't need capture technology to tell that... framerate drops is easy visible... Zelda OoT was fun and amazing, it is one of the best game I ever played but the framerate was terrible... GT5 is the best game I played last gen and it runs close to 60fps but in tracks like Monza drops to 50fps is perceptible and really breaks the immersion.

This game didn't run well even on PC... that is sad.

ethomaz said:

I forgot to quote that part...

"Judging by PC results on lower-end hardware, it doesn't seem outside the realms of possibility for the PS4 - and to a lesser extent the Xbox One - to deliver something closer to a 60fps experience given the benefits of closed-box optimisation. So what could be the limiting factor on consoles? Perhaps the low-power AMD CPU cores are to blame."

Makes sense. The CPUs are the weakest links of all three current gen systems.

curl-6 said:

But the game is not CPU bound... an old Dual-core on PC sustain it at 60fps.

ethomaz said:
So was the game any good? Yeah I liked it. Played it for a bit on my mates Xbox one. Looks visually great and.played real smooth. Might get this after halo mcc.

Smooth? Weird because DF says it drops a lot in gameplay.

PS. In cutscenes even PC version shows judders.

its 97% smooth. just fromtime to time during cutscenes it drops  and that rarely occurs. playing teh game as we sepak. its freaking awesome. Playing it on xbox one. don't know if you guy know , the xbox one version uses kinect  for noise detection and head tracking. you sneeze or make an sound while playing, the alien or toher enemies will hear you and will find you and kill you .  i died once playing on hard as i accidentally sneezed when the alien was close by lol.

Around the Network

I wonder if the game even use all 6 cores on consoles. The performance gap between PC and consoles is the bigger I have seen.

Because the game doesn't even really looks like CPU limited. But it could be seriously CPU limited if it used only 2 or 4 cores on consoles.

ethomaz said:

curl-6 said:

But the game is not CPU bound... an old Dual-core on PC sustain it at 60fps.

Then why did Digital Foundry suggest they might be the bottleneck? Or were you quoting someone else?

curl-6 said:

Then why did Digital Foundry suggest they might be the bottleneck? Or were you quoting someone else?

No it is DF but they are not sure about that... they are just speculating.

The @globalisateur theory can be true and the game uses few cores of the CPU.

ethomaz said:

To be honest I don't play games with capture technology telling me what the game is doing at every second. It played fine for us. I don't need a digital foundry to tell me if a game plays well. I just try it. It's no medal of honour on ps1. I enjoyed what I played. Watched my mate play some. Looked good, was fun and ran fine.

You don't need capture technology to tell that... framerate drops is easy visible... Zelda OoT was fun and amazing, it is one of the best game I ever played but the framerate was terrible... GT5 is the best game I played last gen and it runs close to 60fps but in tracks like Monza drops to 50fps is perceptible and really breaks the immersion.

This game didn't run well even on PC... that is sad.

I understand what your saying. I noticed drops in dead rising 3 with loads onscreen. But didn't notice anything plating alien  isolation. What I did notice is lots of butt clenching and tense times. Game played fine.

*48 pixles* is sufficient for a smooth gameplay

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90