By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does MS deserve more credit for Halo?

I've never seen anyone say Microsoft doesn't deserve credit for Halo.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network

I do think MSFT deserves more credit for how big Halo is; and by that I mean marketing. Bungie definitely has a lot of talent, but the way MSFT markets Halo helps it be so successful. I have no doubt that if the Uncharted games were exclusive to the 360 they'd probably have all sold 9-10 million copies each with how much marketing would have went with them. This is coming from a Playstation only gamer.

Destiny is selling really well, and I think all the disappointment has been with expectations everyone had for the game. The gunplay is really fun and most agree it is good. I think the disappointment came when the campaign was just more of the same of the beta. Go here activate ghost fight off a wave, etc. Bungie is a good studio, but I think with MSFT marketing Halo became a lot bigger than what it might have been.

Yes its true as far as Halo and Gears are concerned.

Its something Sony lack as a quality, they dont seem to know how to manage their studios unless its Naughty Dog.

Halo is probably the best franchise ever created and everybody involved can't get enough credit for it (obviously IMO)

The funny part is that everybody thought Halo would go down after the split from Bungie. At the end of the day Bungie went down, because most of the talent joined 343. The split from Bungie was probably the best thing that could happen to Halo with new talent joining from all over the place. Quite ironic IMO.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

bungie and halo would not be where they are today without ms but also ms wouldnt be where they are with bungie and halo

Around the Network

Ummmmm... Yes? I would love to know why would anyone else think otherwise.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

No way. Microsoft deserves ALL the credit. They could have easily made Halo without Bungie. All Bungie did was come up with the idea and then develop it. Heck, the combat system and multi-player were probably mapped out by Bill Gates himself.

Short answer: No. Microsoft does not deserve more credit.

If Microsoft has the ability to recognize what Bungie and Halo had to offer, then they could have easily also given that same direction and expressed and funded that direction towards the creation of a new IP by the hiring of similar talent. I loved the Marathon series, and Microsoft had nothing to do with it.

pokoko said:
No way. Microsoft deserves ALL the credit. They could have easily made Halo without Bungie. All Bungie did was come up with the idea and then develop it. Heck, the combat system and multi-player were probably mapped out by Bill Gates himself.

Well in my mind Microsoft is mainly responsible for what Halo is today. So yes.
Looking at what Destiny is (in term of quality) and how deceptive it was to me I can even say that Halo would never been successful without Microsoft and that they maybe played a bigger role that what people may believe in the franchise.

This isn not without saying that let's say Sony or Apple (at the time) would have build a successfull franchise too by buying Bungie but Microsoft did it for sure.