By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The XenoChronX vs Persona 5 Debate

kupomogli said:

SMT didn't get popular until Persona 3.  It was still a niche sort of popular, but popular nonetheless.  Persona 3, Persona 3 FES, and Persona 4 were all released after the Wii, 360, and PS3 released. 

If you look at how much Persona 4 has sold on the Vita in comparison to how much Xenoblade sold on the Wii, it does kind of point out how popular Persona is in comparison to Xenoblade.  Not only is it on the Vita, but it's a port and it's only sold 150k less.

It's not exactly a port, it had new content. I can see that the audience is growing (perhaps even pretty rapidly). But it seems to me that this series has a dedicated fanbase who buys all of the games, not a large fanbase who buys every other game -- in other words, the sales of P4 and of P4G were almost entirely from the same people. The total number of players of P4 + P4G isn't even close to the combined sales of the two.

So then the question is, will this dedicated fanbase buy P5 on both PS3 and on PS4? I don't see any reason to, unless each has exclusive content not in the other version. So rather than both versions getting the full sales, the total sales will be split between the two.

It's just a thought. It's also possible with Sega & Atlus pushing the series so hard recently that the franchise will experience massive growth over P4G, leading to over a million sales for P5 on at least one of its platforms.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
I've never understood the appeal of Persona to anyone who isn't 13-17 and in high school, if I'm honest.

Even though I love Pokemon that's like saying you never understood the appeal of it unless you're a 10 year old boy who likes collecting things. 

OT: I love this comparison  just because it could be either one. It's not a certainty anyone will sell better. I would have to give it to P5 though because of the edge the installbase gives.

Vena said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

No way in hell. P5 is the anticipation. Granted they only thing they share is that they are RPGs which is like Comparing Fallout and Chronotrigger, but Persona's fanbase has been growing while Xenos has been shrinking. P5 and Xeno will tie in Japan, P5 will barely beat out Xeno in US, and absolutely dominate Xeno in the UK. All on the PS4.

??? Xenoblade (this isn't related to Xenosaga or Baiten) has no itteratively established franchise to say "fanbase has been X". Its ONE title of a limited worldwide and dated release, we have no idea what its fanbase is or isn't as it hasn't been tested beyond a brand new IP that launched during the dying era of the Wii. (And outsold every installment of Persona...unless we add up every re-release.)

Xeno refers to X, I just don't care enough to get the name wrong. Xenoblade was released on the Wii, while P3 and P4 are PS2 games re released on platforms that didn't have even half its install base.

Its predecessors namel w.e Monolith made, obviously I'm exaggerating, is going to determine the base of its fanbase, these aren't fresh new IPs we're talking about here, and I doubt very many people are excited because X has mechs.

Persona's fanbase is growing, Nintendo even did Atlus a favor and had PQ on the 3DS, you've got the fighters on 360 and PS3, re-releases on Vita, hell SMT works in Atlus's favor as well. The reason Persona and its derivatives have had such legs is because that fanbase is building. In Japan, UK, and US. 

One anticipated "Spiritual Successor" isn't going to outsell a sleeping giant like P5.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

kupomogli said:

SMT didn't get popular until Persona 3.  It was still a niche sort of popular, but popular nonetheless.  Persona 3, Persona 3 FES, and Persona 4 were all released after the Wii, 360, and PS3 released. 

If you look at how much Persona 4 has sold on the Vita in comparison to how much Xenoblade sold on the Wii, it does kind of point out how popular Persona is in comparison to Xenoblade.  Not only is it on the Vita, but it's a port and it's only sold 150k less.  Xenoblade was a Gamestop exclusive release so it hasn't got as many sales as it could have, but Persona has never had the chance to get as many sales as it could have either.

It wasn't just GameStop exclusive, it was print limited.

ishiki said:

Mainly because of Wii-U. I think a lot of people that liked xenoblade won't have a wii-u. A lot of the people that like persona will/still have a PS3.

Thus, I don't see persona sales increasing. I just see xenoblade x sales decreasing.

This is certainly possible. But Xenoblade had an extremely limited release in the US, and is still very hard to find. I think it's safe to say that there was demand that was not met -- so its NA sales don't accurately reflect the actual popularity of the game in that region.

Also, I think people who liked Xenoblade are among the most likely to buy a Wii U. It's been well established that it's the Wii Series & NSMB audience that seems most reluctant to upgrade to the new console. Xenoblade, having just come out a couple of years ago in America, still has a fresh fanbase. It would be a tall order for Xenoblade X to sell as well as the first game, considering the install base of the Wii U, but it's not impossible.

Vena said:

It wasn't just GameStop exclusive, it was print limited.

I believe it was both of those things.

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Xeno refers to X, I just don't care enough to get the name wrong. Xenoblade was released on the Wii, while P3 and P4 are PS2 games re released on platforms that didn't have even half its install base.

Its predecessors namel w.e Monolith made, obviously I'm exaggerating, is going to determine the base of its fanbase, these aren't fresh new IPs we're talking about here, and I doubt very many people are excited because X has mechs.

Persona's fanbase is growing, Nintendo even did Atlus a favor and had PQ on the 3DS, you've got the fighters on 360 and PS3, re-releases on Vita, hell SMT works in Atlus's favor as well. The reason Persona and its derivatives have had such legs is because that fanbase is building. In Japan, UK, and US. 

One anticipated "Spiritual Successor" isn't going to outsell a sleeping giant like P5.

What I'm saying is how can you say "fanbase is shrinking" when there is no statistical evidence to this claim? There is no step-event here to actually compare and say: "The second title sold less than the first, the fanbase is smaller than before or anticipated." Persona has actual itterative releases so its very easy to say: "Going by the increasing sales of the titles, the fanbase is probably growing!" It is impossible, at this time, to say the same about the Xenoblade series.

And P5 will be lucky to get a million sales, there is no "sleeping giant" here. Its a niche title.

Vena said:

What I'm saying is how can you say "fanbase is shrinking" when there is no statistical evidence to this claim? There is no step-event here to actually compare and say: "The second title sold less than the first, the fanbase is smaller than before or anticipated." Persona has actual itterative releases so its very easy to say: "Going by the increasing sales of the titles, the fanbase is probably growing!" It is impossible, at this time, to say the same about the Xenoblade series.

Well, he isn't talking about the "Xenoblade" series. He's using all previous "Xeno-" games to compare sales to.

He's still wrong though, because Xenoblade outsold all three "Xeno-" games released between it and Xenosaga Episode I. It's the best-selling "Xeno-" game since 2002.

the_dengle said:

Well, he isn't talking about the "Xenoblade" series. He's using all previous "Xeno-" games to compare sales to.

He's still wrong though, because Xenoblade outsold all three "Xeno-" games released between it and Xenosaga Episode I. It's the best-selling "Xeno-" game since 2002.

Ahh I see what he meant then.

the_dengle said:

It's not exactly a port, it had new content. I can see that the audience is growing (perhaps even pretty rapidly). But it seems to me that this series has a dedicated fanbase who buys all of the games, not a large fanbase who buys every other game -- in other words, the sales of P4 and of P4G were almost entirely from the same people. The total number of players of P4 + P4G isn't even close to the combined sales of the two.

So then the question is, will this dedicated fanbase buy P5 on both PS3 and on PS4? I don't see any reason to, unless each has exclusive content not in the other version. So rather than both versions getting the full sales, the total sales will be split between the two.

It's just a thought. It's also possible with Sega & Atlus pushing the series so hard recently that the franchise will experience massive growth over P4G, leading to over a million sales for P5 on at least one of its platforms.

It's an enhanced port.  The "extra content" is similar to that of Final Fantasy 4 Advance. 

You can't really argue that the people own the game on the Vita have or haven't played the PS2 version, because on one hand you could argue that the Vita has no games and it's consistently listed as one of the best games on the Vita, while on the other hand you could argue that the PSP being an RPG heavy console happened to get those RPG fans who have already played it to purchase the Vita and the same, no games, so they purchased Persona 4 since it's a good game.

Persona 5 being on the PS4 as well as the PS3 gives it the chance to get the most sales of any Persona game since the series became popular.  It's still niche, but it won't be overlooked as easily as Persona 3 and Persona 4 were being released on previous gen hardware up to two years after all the last gen consoles were released.  So this is the first time we'll see how much of a fanbase the series actually has.

Persona has the media push behind it, offcaurse it will outsell Xenoblade, but I doubt it will be the better game tho.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)