By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The XenoChronX vs Persona 5 Debate

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Xeno refers to X, I just don't care enough to get the name wrong. Xenoblade was released on the Wii, while P3 and P4 are PS2 games re released on platforms that didn't have even half its install base.

Its predecessors namel w.e Monolith made, obviously I'm exaggerating, is going to determine the base of its fanbase, these aren't fresh new IPs we're talking about here, and I doubt very many people are excited because X has mechs.

Persona's fanbase is growing, Nintendo even did Atlus a favor and had PQ on the 3DS, you've got the fighters on 360 and PS3, re-releases on Vita, hell SMT works in Atlus's favor as well. The reason Persona and its derivatives have had such legs is because that fanbase is building. In Japan, UK, and US. 

One anticipated "Spiritual Successor" isn't going to outsell a sleeping giant like P5.

You'd be surprised. Those Mechs are going to make the game a lot better. 

Around the Network
the_dengle said:

This is certainly possible. But Xenoblade had an extremely limited release in the US, and is still very hard to find. I think it's safe to say that there was demand that was not met -- so its NA sales don't accurately reflect the actual popularity of the game in that region.

Also, I think people who liked Xenoblade are among the most likely to buy a Wii U. It's been well established that it's the Wii Series & NSMB audience that seems most reluctant to upgrade to the new console. Xenoblade, having just come out a couple of years ago in America, still has a fresh fanbase. It would be a tall order for Xenoblade X to sell as well as the first game, considering the install base of the Wii U, but it's not impossible.

People may have forgotten about this. It was number 3 for the Wii. 

Clyde32 said:

Remember, Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii was pirated nearly a million times during its first year in EU.

Evidence ? 

If that were true then the same would have applied to NA as well seeing as how that region has just as good of an internet access as the EU ... What's more is that the EU and NA are culturally similar in terms of gaming so I see no reason why the guys at NA wouldn't pull off the same actions. If a game performs well in one of those regions then it's likely that it will do just the same for the rest of the western territories. 

The numbers make perfect sense when you consider that the WII had a much larger presence in NA so the sales are farily proportinal between the two regions. 

Clyde32 said:

Yeeeeeaaaaah, I forgot about that too, but I don't think it means much. My gut feeling is that the people pirating the game were non-Wii owners who wanted to try it, not NA Wii owners who wanted to buy it. The latter group would simply homebrew their Wii and buy the European version.

Which begs the question, if the pirates weren't willing to shell out under $200 for a Wii to play Xenoblade, would they really pay $300 for a Wii U to play its sequel?

Famtisu Reveals Readers Most-Wanted Games

We try our best to stay on the up and up with regards to what our Japanese gaming counterparts are playing and looking forward to. As such, we bring to you today a poll that was given to Famitsu readers in the Land of the Rising Sun recently. Readers were told to simply record their most anticipated title and send them into the magazine; from there, Famitsu went ahead and tallied up all the votes. The results are interesting for a few reasons: 1. while portables have reigned supreme for a number of years now in the East, there is a healthy serving of console appearances on the list, 2. Sony has roughly 20 of the 30 recorded titles, and 3. There are still an impressive number of “last-gen” entries on here, with the PS3 really cleaning up in the console department.

That being said, we were surprised to see as many PS4 and WiiU games as we did. Knowing how popular the PlayStation 3 is in Japan, we fully expected the list to be dominated by it. It’s good to see the East getting excited for this gen.

Nevertheless, take a peak at the survey below and let us know what you think; see anything you, too, are interested in? We spy about 25 games we personally want.

1. (PS3) Persona 5 – 678 votes
2. (3DS) Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate – 649 votes
3. (PS4) Final Fantasy XV – 553 votes
4. (WIU) Hyrule Warriors – 530 votes
5. (PS4) Kingdom Hearts III – 413 votes
6. (3DS) Super Smash Bros. for 3DS – 401 votes
7. (3DS) Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire – 366 votes
8. (PS4) The Evil Within – 328 votes
9. (PS4) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain – 305 votes
10. (PS3) Tales of Zestiria – 297 votes
11. (3DS) Bravely Second – 280 votes
12. (PSV) Toukiden Extreme – 269 votes
13. (3DS) Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson – 260 votes
14. (PSV) Bullet Girls – 246 votes
15. (WIU) Bayonetta 2 – 235 votes
16. (WIU) Super Smash Bros. for Wii U – 228 votes
17. (PS3) Shining Resonance – 210 votes
18. (PS4) Bloodborne – 172 votes
19. (3DS) Forbidden Magna – 154 votes
20. (PS3) The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki II – 146 votes
21. (PSV) The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki II – 145 votes
22. (PS3) The Evil Within – 138 votes
23. (PS3) Ultra Street Fighter IV – 137 votes
24. (PS3) The Last Remnant – 130 votes
25. (PSV) Kan Colle Kai – 129 votes
26. (PSV) Phantasy Star Nova – 122 votes
27. (PS3) Persona 4 Arena Ultimax – 114 votes
28. (3DS) Final Fantasy Explorers – 100 votes
29. (PS4) Omega Quintet – 99 votes
30. (PS3) Super Robot Taisen OG Saga Masou Kishin F Coffin of the End – 98 votes

source :http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/07/27/japanese-readers-let-famitsu-know-their-most-wanted-games/96092/

I guess that will help :)

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
Clyde32 said:

Remember, Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii was pirated nearly a million times during its first year in EU.

Evidence ? 

If that were true then the same would have applied to NA as well seeing as how that region has just as good of an internet access as the EU ... What's more is that the EU and NA are culturally similar in terms of gaming so I see no reason why the guys at NA wouldn't pull off the same actions. If a game performs well in one of those regions then it's likely that it will do just the same for the rest of the western territories. 

The numbers make perfect sense when you consider that the WII had a much larger presence in NA so the sales are farily proportinal between the two regions. 

I linked it in another post, give me a second. 

When I said in the EU, I meant it was already released in the EU. Anyway, here's the article. 

the_dengle said:

Yeeeeeaaaaah, I forgot about that too, but I don't think it means much. My gut feeling is that the people pirating the game were non-Wii owners who wanted to try it, not NA Wii owners who wanted to buy it. The latter group would simply homebrew their Wii and buy the European version.

Which begs the question, if the pirates weren't willing to shell out under $200 for a Wii to play Xenoblade, would they really pay $300 for a Wii U to play its sequel?

They'll probably just wait until a fully fuctional WII U emulator is made ... 

the_dengle said:
Clyde32 said:

Difference now is that the people have a taste of the game this time around. They would want the game. Before it was just a game people had hyped up and wanted to see what the hype is about. Probably around 10% didn't like the game, and 25% wouldn't buy the sequel. 

HollyGamer said:

Famtisu Reveals Readers Most-Wanted Games

We try our best to stay on the up and up with regards to what our Japanese gaming counterparts are playing and looking forward to. As such, we bring to you today a poll that was given to Famitsu readers in the Land of the Rising Sun recently. Readers were told to simply record their most anticipated title and send them into the magazine; from there, Famitsu went ahead and tallied up all the votes. The results are interesting for a few reasons: 1. while portables have reigned supreme for a number of years now in the East, there is a healthy serving of console appearances on the list, 2. Sony has roughly 20 of the 30 recorded titles, and 3. There are still an impressive number of “last-gen” entries on here, with the PS3 really cleaning up in the console department.

That being said, we were surprised to see as many PS4 and WiiU games as we did. Knowing how popular the PlayStation 3 is in Japan, we fully expected the list to be dominated by it. It’s good to see the East getting excited for this gen.

Nevertheless, take a peak at the survey below and let us know what you think; see anything you, too, are interested in? We spy about 25 games we personally want.

1. (PS3) Persona 5 – 678 votes
2. (3DS) Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate – 649 votes
3. (PS4) Final Fantasy XV – 553 votes
4. (WIU) Hyrule Warriors – 530 votes
5. (PS4) Kingdom Hearts III – 413 votes
6. (3DS) Super Smash Bros. for 3DS – 401 votes
7. (3DS) Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire – 366 votes
8. (PS4) The Evil Within – 328 votes
9. (PS4) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain – 305 votes
10. (PS3) Tales of Zestiria – 297 votes
11. (3DS) Bravely Second – 280 votes
12. (PSV) Toukiden Extreme – 269 votes
13. (3DS) Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson – 260 votes
14. (PSV) Bullet Girls – 246 votes
15. (WIU) Bayonetta 2 – 235 votes
16. (WIU) Super Smash Bros. for Wii U – 228 votes
17. (PS3) Shining Resonance – 210 votes
18. (PS4) Bloodborne – 172 votes
19. (3DS) Forbidden Magna – 154 votes
20. (PS3) The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki II – 146 votes
21. (PSV) The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki II – 145 votes
22. (PS3) The Evil Within – 138 votes
23. (PS3) Ultra Street Fighter IV – 137 votes
24. (PS3) The Last Remnant – 130 votes
25. (PSV) Kan Colle Kai – 129 votes
26. (PSV) Phantasy Star Nova – 122 votes
27. (PS3) Persona 4 Arena Ultimax – 114 votes
28. (3DS) Final Fantasy Explorers – 100 votes
29. (PS4) Omega Quintet – 99 votes
30. (PS3) Super Robot Taisen OG Saga Masou Kishin F Coffin of the End – 98 votes

source :http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/07/27/japanese-readers-let-famitsu-know-their-most-wanted-games/96092/

How old is that list?

HollyGamer said:

I don't see how that helps. Neither Xenoblade X nor the PS4 version of P5 are even on that list. It's also a poll of Famitsu's readers, which means nothing as always. Do you really think Persona 5 is going to outsell Monster Hunter, SSB, and Pokemon?