By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Bold Prediction: SSB.U Won't do much for Wii U.

Tagged games:

Bman54 said:
I don't think the 3DS version will be the definitive Smash Bros. Graphics have nothing to do with it, it's the controls. Console Smash simply has better controls than the handheld version. The circle pad isn't ideal. Plus, multiplayer, which is obviously a big reason to get Smash Bros. The only way to play MP with friends is if everyone has a 3DS, and can be annoying to setup even if everyone does. It's also not the most fun way to play with your friends in one room. None of that's an issue for the console version, and will still make it a worthwhile purchase. As for if it will still sky rocket Wii U sales, I don't know, but I don't think the 3DS version will impact the Wii U version's sales all that much. I've even seen a lot of people skipping the 3DS version because they know the Wii U version is going to be the superior version and they'd rather just get that.

Listen to this man.  Smash bros graphics have been good enough since Melee.  It's one game where it is all about the controls.

Personally I played the 3DS version and knew immediately that I was not going to be double dipping, I would be waiting for the Wii U version.  The controls aren't quite there for me, it's hard on the small screen and local multiplayer just can't be the same.

Around the Network

Sadly have to agree. The inital numbers won't be that bad, seeing as how it'll combine SSB + holiday, as well as a somewhat deceptive huge percentage increase (due to current numbers being so low) but in the end won't do all that much, also because of the 3DS version.

vivster said:
amak11 said:

Here's a fact you miss, the 3DS version is not the same as the Wii U version.... If people are way too stupid to realize this then I have zero hope for the rest of this generation for any console.

Wait what? I thought they were the same.

Why would they cut stuff from the WiiU version due to 3DS hardware constraints if they were different games?

They cut ice climbers because of 3DS hardware constraints (Who knows, the Wii U could get them back in form of free DLC). They both have their own unique stages, where the Wii U version will have the definitive experience with multiple controller support, constant 60fps and and in HD. 

We all know they are going to have the same base modes: for fun, for glory online, solo and group smash, classic smash and all star (And all the mini games). The 3Ds version has built in functionality to use it as a controller and transfer custom fighters to it. What we don't know is what bonus modes we are getting. 

vivster said:
RealGamingExpert said:

games?

Characters are the same. Stages, modes and other stuff is different.

So why? Is there cross play?

I heard that there was cross-play as well.

vivster said:

No there isn't.

I still think they will make a surprise reveal for a few more Wii U characters.

Impa, Ridley, Mewtwu and 2 others are rumored to be in there.

Also Sakurai said that there will be no story mode this time, but I think that will be a surprise reveal as well.

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

Around the Network
vivster said:
RealGamingExpert said:
vivster said:
amak11 said:

Here's a fact you miss, the 3DS version is not the same as the Wii U version.... If people are way too stupid to realize this then I have zero hope for the rest of this generation for any console.

Wait what? I thought they were the same.

Why would they cut stuff from the WiiU version due to 3DS hardware constraints if they were different games?

Characters are the same. Stages, modes and other stuff is different.

To differentiate the two platforms. 3Ds has 3DS game stages and modes based on portability, and no there isn't cross play. There is huge incentive to buy both versions though. (club Nintendo Smash Bros soundtrack)

S.T.A.G.E. said:

I heard that there was cross-play as well.

There isn't cross play.

You can use your 3DS as a controller in Smash Bros U, but nothing more than that.

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

amak11 said:

They share base modes (the defaults for Smash series) and characters. Everything else down to controls, stages and graphics (and bonus modes are 100% different. You've been here a while and you're not that inconsiderate to facts. The 3DS isn't your tournament console, it's the Wii U. Which will be the definitive way to play the game. 

The controls may factor into a somewhat different experience, some exclusive stages to each version, but the difference in visuals doesn't stop an average consumer from buying techncally inferior versions of games such as GTA San Andreas on the PS2 or The Last of Us on the PS3 and I especially don't want to hear a counter argument from you about that aspect. 

Just because the 3DS isn't a tournament console doesn't negate the fact that it's a much cheaper way to play Smash ... What other incentives are there for them to justify paying over $100 more for better controls or some exclusive stages ? 

This is very, very bold indeed!
And reading the latest comments about smash here and how each vrs is different, I really don't think some of you understand the situation at all.

Further: Amiibo could be a bigger hit than Skylanders.

Moved your thread to sales discussion, OP.

As for the topic; it will do something but I believe it will have less impact that MK8 and certainly a lot less than what many seem to be expecting.
My prediction; SSB does very well on software charts globally and the Wii U has a pretty good holiday, fans get eager like last year and speak of a comeback, 2015 arrives and hardware sales plummet back into 40's or 30's and the cycle continues for another year.