By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Bold Prediction: SSB.U Won't do much for Wii U.

Tagged games:

How is this a bold prediction LMAO

Mario Kart is a much bigger franchise and as you noted didn't do much so why would a lesser franchise do more?

Around the Network
Turkish said:
How is this a bold prediction LMAO

Mario Kart is a much bigger franchise and as you noted didn't do much so why would a lesser franchise do more?

biggest franchise =/= biggest system seller.

Example: Pokemon>MH or AC in sales but AC+MH>Pokemon in selling 3ds systems.

fatslob-:O said:
amak11 said:

They share base modes (the defaults for Smash series) and characters. Everything else down to controls, stages and graphics (and bonus modes are 100% different. You've been here a while and you're not that inconsiderate to facts. The 3DS isn't your tournament console, it's the Wii U. Which will be the definitive way to play the game. 

The controls may factor into a somewhat different experience, some exclusive stages to each version, but the difference in visuals doesn't stop an average consumer from buying techncally inferior versions of games such as GTA San Andreas on the PS2 or The Last of Us on the PS3 and I especially don't want to hear a counter argument from you about that aspect. 

Just because the 3DS isn't a tournament console doesn't negate the fact that it's a much cheaper way to play Smash ... What other incentives are there for them to justify paying over $100 more for better controls or some exclusive stages ? 

The controls may factor somewhat? Have you not played any god damn Smash Brothers game in your life. God The controls are the main reason these games are in the biggest fighting game tourney's. It's not some exclusive stages is 100% exclusive to each version. What you see in the 3Ds version, aside from the low poly Final destination is what you do not get in WIi U version. Do some reading ffs. You are trying to use the damn "Nintendo fans don't care about graphics" argument to justify whether or not sales will be hindered on the WIi U. The 3Ds is not the cheaper way to play smash either (if you have friends). The Wii U by far, if you want to play the game with friends is the cheapest option.  

Let's factor in cost shall we. To be fair we'll use the 99 dollar gamecube controller bundle aswell. You and 3 friends want to play the Wii U version of smash cause they do not have 3Dses and do not want to invest in a portable platform. For a Wii U, you're guarenteed to have gamecube controllers lying about, wiimotes and nunchucks, then there is the gamepad, then the Wii U pro controller. But for the sake of the example here, the 99 dollar bundle, from new with Wii U.. 225 (white Wii U basic), 99 for game, (you already have two controllers so far guarenteed).Maybe one of your friends has a gamecube controller or two lying about? Well you don't need to worry cause they brought their controllers, this keeps this total around 325 dollars, maybe around 425. 

The cost of actually buying in to smash bros for 4 people, with no 3DS, using the cheaper options (2DS and games). Total around 680 dollars for 4 consoles and 4 games. None of these people wanted to invest in a portable platform, so it's close to 200 dollars a pop for these people to even enjoy 1 game.  

GTA SA and the Last of Us were both available on their respective platforms a year before the superior versions so your examples here are bunk, especially with TLoU because Sony made that speciffically for new PS adopters. 

It probably do enough to get the Wii U to reach 10 million before 2015... hopefully. If so, I think SSB:U can get to 3 million sold before 2015. Shouldn't be too hard get 30% attachment rate if its Smash Bros.

mZuzek said:
fluky-nintendy said:

One million looks good right? 

-I don't think so. WiiU took more than 4 months to sell half of the numbers PS4 sold in Destiny's week.

1. If you think the Wii U has to do anywhere near as good as the PS4 is doing for it to be a relative success, you're completely wrong. At this moment, the Wii U's goal is to sell reasonably well on its own, not winning some nonsense wars against the other consoles.

-MK8 is selling extremely well even to this day. But it didn't move as many systems as people had believed it would be. So SSB., being even more obscure than MK and being cross-platform with 3DS, won't move just as many systems as MK8 did.

2. Of course MK8 didn't sell consoles, it's not much of a system-seller on its own - however, it does strongly push people into wanting the console during christmas.

-The belief Christmas is always good for WiiU might as well be a downside this year, now that the competition is also more interesting/strong and offer a vast range of games to chose that people will consider getting without thinking rather than a 1st party WiiU obscure title.

3. Christmas is good for Nintendo, it's always been and it will still be. The competition has more interesting titles this year, but their target audience doesn't hold off until the Holidays to buy consoles as much as Nintendo's do, and as such they don't have quite the same boost. That said, when the hell has Smash Bros. become an "obscure" title?

-Most Nintendo fans don't care bout graphics and that's a proven fact (and it's also ok). They will simply get the 3DS version if they only have a 3ds. SSB won't be a decisive game into buying a WiiU if you were on the fence. Nintendo seemed to make 3DS WiiU's more feracious rival right now.

4. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U's biggest selling point over the 3DS version is not the graphics.

-MK8 is proving that people still buy tons and tons of Nintendo games but Ninty isn't really capturing new audiences as they would like to be capturing.

5. This is true, but Nintendo still has a big audience and there's still a very big chunk of it that are yet to make the move to the Wii U.

Bold.

1. Firstly, selling better than your competition is not a "nonsense war" I strongly doubt that nintendo came into the 8th gen to fight for and settle for second place. But you are righ though, the focus for the WiiU and aruably the XB1 should now be to just focus on selling well enough to be a finacial success even if that means coming second or third.

2. This is more opinion than fact. Especially when you consider that the only factual thing about it applies to every platform out there. Basically you are saying that having a good library of great games will help make the decision of purchase easier at the end of the year. Thing is that applies to every other platform too, every other platform has games in their library that individually may not be reason enough for you to buy in but collectively they will be.

3. Its funny how much of a short memory people seem to have when trying to push an angle. It has and will always be? Really? is this by any chance based off an analysis of nintendo sales for a console that at th etime was the hottest trending item in the gaming universe? And you and people that think like you still somehow believes that that still applies now? I don't think so. Lets look at the GC. Were its christmases better than those of the PS2? How did the wiiUs frist christmas o for it?But Iam sure the excuse theer will be they didn't ahve games.

Time will tell on this one though, we are just 2+ months away. But I don't think or see xmas being much good for the wiiU. Simply cause I don't believe that a console that has sold extremely poorly for 2 yers will suddenly just start flying off shelves.

4. No no no no and no. It is completely ludicrous to assume that the fact that a game is also available on a more popular (better sold) platform will not affect the sales of the same game on another platform. Think about it, if people already own a 3DS, you really think that they would opt to spend $300+ for SSB on wiiU or just buy it on their 3DS for $50. I don't understand what nintendo were thinking, if nothing else, they should have released the game on the wiiU for at least 3 months before even announcing the 3DS version.

5. LOL... big audience. I don't think most fans will ever come to grips on justhow the market really works. But chew on this, what's stopping this hypothetical very big audience from moving over to the WiiU after almost 2 years? Are they having that much fun playing tons of great games on their Wii? Nintendo will be very very very lucky if their wiiU can exceed the sales of the GC. That console represents the last core console nintendo made. The last time that their console sold purely off thedraw of the core nintendo games, and not due to a gaming fad that took the casual industry by storm. If you want to draw estimations on just how well the WiiU will sell, look at the GC numbers, don't look at the Wii.

Around the Network
Super Smash Smash Bros is a niche title ??? Well that's something new you learn everyday ... ^_^

Seriously though Smash may fail to sell WII U's for the reasons listed above and I totally agree but I think Smash is just as popular as MK is.

Smash Bros isn't a niche title, but sure is part of a niche genre (we can say the same thing about Mario Kart...  I don't see many karting games coming out right now), let's face it, most people buys it for the characters that are on it, not for gameplay it has (Brawl did so well because it wasn't a fighting game at all imo, it was more like a party game)... and this comes from a big fan of this genre that I actually think is very underrated.

and I'm sure most people that bought the portable version is not going to buy the Wii U version too, this game is also going to sell pretty well, it's Nintendo after all, but not THAT well, it will also not help Wii U hardware sales that much.

Hey don't click here ! It's creepy !!

I want a PlayStation All-Stars Sequel ! Come on Sony, stop making too many shooters !

I'll make a better signature when I'll have time to do it...  

amak11 said:

They share base modes (the defaults for Smash series) and characters. Everything else down to controls, stages and graphics (and bonus modes are 100% different. You've been here a while and you're not that inconsiderate to facts. The 3DS isn't your tournament console, it's the Wii U. Which will be the definitive way to play the game. 

The controls may factor into a somewhat different experience, some exclusive stages to each version, but the difference in visuals doesn't stop an average consumer from buying techncally inferior versions of games such as GTA San Andreas on the PS2 or The Last of Us on the PS3 and I especially don't want to hear a counter argument from you about that aspect. 

Just because the 3DS isn't a tournament console doesn't negate the fact that it's a much cheaper way to play Smash ... What other incentives are there for them to justify paying over $100 more for better controls or some exclusive stages ? 

There isnt, which is why Lego City did better on 3ds despite being worse and getting virtually no coverage

In all honesty, the 3DS version of Smash is not going to hurt the WiiU version at all, if anything it will be a catalyst for higher sales.

Look, there are a super high number of smash fans and the vast majority of them who will buy it on 3DS will also want to play it on a big tv and with friends in a more traditional sense. I would be the same way with NHL games if I could get a portable version... I would have both on console and portable just to get my fix whenever and were ever.

3ds version has been made to lure the owners of 3ds to buy wii u...it s obvious!think it...if nintendo believe that this,was going to cut sales from wii u,would she make a 3ds version or made a 3ds version to boost 3ds sales?of course not, if this was the reason, ninty would had released it before new 3ds announcement which hurts old 3ds sales!why,we compare 3ds and wii u version?only the roster is the same...! nintendo fans dont care for graphics but they are used to play it on home consoles as a handheld version wasn't made before 3ds!The experience on a home console is way different!it will release in November so we wont wait a lot to see who is right...!smash bros boost will be combined with Mario kart 8 retroactive boost

amak11 said:
amak11 said:

The controls may factor somewhat? Have you not played any god damn Smash Brothers game in your life. God The controls are the main reason these games are in the biggest fighting game tourney's. It's not some exclusive stages is 100% exclusive to each version. What you see in the 3Ds version, aside from the low poly Final destination is what you do not get in WIi U version. Do some reading ffs. You are trying to use the damn "Nintendo fans don't care about graphics" argument to justify whether or not sales will be hindered on the WIi U. The 3Ds is not the cheaper way to play smash either (if you have friends). The Wii U by far, if you want to play the game with friends is the cheapest option.  

Let's factor in cost shall we. To be fair we'll use the 99 dollar gamecube controller bundle aswell. You and 3 friends want to play the Wii U version of smash cause they do not have 3Dses and do not want to invest in a portable platform. For a Wii U, you're guarenteed to have gamecube controllers lying about, wiimotes and nunchucks, then there is the gamepad, then the Wii U pro controller. But for the sake of the example here, the 99 dollar bundle, from new with Wii U.. 225 (white Wii U basic), 99 for game, (you already have two controllers so far guarenteed).Maybe one of your friends has a gamecube controller or two lying about? Well you don't need to worry cause they brought their controllers, this keeps this total around 325 dollars, maybe around 425. 

The cost of actually buying in to smash bros for 4 people, with no 3DS, using the cheaper options (2DS and games). Total around 680 dollars for 4 consoles and 4 games. None of these people wanted to invest in a portable platform, so it's close to 200 dollars a pop for these people to even enjoy 1 game.  

GTA SA and the Last of Us were both available on their respective platforms a year before the superior versions so your examples here are bunk, especially with TLoU because Sony made that speciffically for new PS adopters. 

first off calmn down. 2nd you are missing his point totatlly. He is not saying those things dont matter or using a graphics dont matter argument. He is saying that none of that matters becasue there will be some people satisfied with the 3ds version of the games. No matter how much better the wii U version is how to I know that? ill tell you in the end.

I dont know where you are getting the cost from. but One copy is 40 bucks. the system is 200? so 240? Wii u is 300 plus 60 for the game? so 360 that is a different of 120. Now lets forget all that extra controllers, buying mult iple copies fo the the game. thats arbritrary. It is perfectly resonalbe that someone doesnt care about any of that. They simple want ot play smash bros. and if they want to play human opponents, they can find some with a 3ds fi they are taht into the series or just play the game online(thats what im doing and imagine alot of people are too) and if you want to refute that point keep in mind there are WAY more 3ds out thee than Wiius

yes his examples were bad, here are two better ones. Lego city and sonic LW. the 3ds versions of those games got little to no coverage but they still sold better on 3ds the Wii U version of Lego was evne bundled for a bit. What does that mean, it means despite that list of advantages you stated for the wii U smash it wont matter because clearly people have no qualms in buying a inferior version of something as long as its serviceble (and smash 3ds is)