By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Bold Prediction: SSB.U Won't do much for Wii U.

Tagged games:

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
oniyide said:

but thats the thing. Maybe Ninty has giving up on that whole software sells hardware metality when it comes to WiiU. Maybe theyve accepted the fact that the WIi U is going to do GC numbers or worse and thats where the treatment of the system is stemmng from.

If you have a 3ds AND a Wii U then why would one buy the 3ds version ONLY? that really makes no sense and thats kind of the rub. Truth is you dont really have any gaurentee that that person who bought Smash for 3ds would have bought an entirely new system for another Smash game. If one was that big of a fan in the first place they would have already bought a Wii U in anticipation or will buy one when that version comes out regardless if there is a 3ds version, especially if the 3ds version is worse. And if you were never that big a fan in the first place then you wasnt buying a Wii U for that game anyway.

Thing is that's beyond the scope of the OP. From the POV of helping the Wii U it is suboptimal, and while it will increase the softwares overall sales and boost 3DS, it doesn't make sense from a big picture point of view because the Wii U is in greatest need of help and increasing the base before the console has peaked ensures the most sales of software in total. Assuming they still care to support it.

This lends cresedence to the idea that Nintendo has given up on the Wii U, or at the very least can't adequatly support these two platforms.

Nintendo is in a really really terrible position right now.

Well thats my point. If they have given up then it makes perfect sense to do this move. They could have easily put out the 3ds version later or even same date as WIi U(thats what i thought they were going to do) they didnt do those things so i think they gave up. They are going to support Wii U but i think they are done trying to sell it to people who arent interested in it.  IMHO even if there wasnt a 3ds version it still wouldnt have made much of a difference. Mario Kart is a much bigger franchise and it didnt boost it to great lengths and the system still dropped to 30k range after a few weeks. Not great. 

On a side note as a gamer i dont see why this bothers people so much. YOu are still getting your game on WIi U uncompromised. and people with a 3ds that dont want WIi U can enjoy or even check out the Smash series. As a huge fighting fan i love having these types of games on the go.

Around the Network
DevilRising said:
fluky-nintendy said:

I know this is an odd statement to be made because most Nintendo fans here are expecting this game to be the hottest release later this year on WiiU, but I'm here to cut the chase.

The facts:

MK8

WiiU numbers the week MK8 releases: 6,290,343

WiiU numbers today: 7,258,201

Regardless, the MK8 has to be credited to SOME extent for the fact that in around half a year's time, Wii U has sold around 1 million units. Did it have the IMEDIATE megaton impact many of us thought it might? No. And that does suck. But Wii U sales have been very funky most of the time anyway. If you stop to consider the 2013 that Wii U had, and that MK8 is a highly regarded game that has sold around 3 million at least by now (physical, not even counting digital), yes, I'd have to say that helping to push it to another million is pretty good overall.

Beyond that, MK8 isn't done selling, for sure, and I do think there will be another MK8 "holiday boost", as in it will help the system with at least one last major blip before totally leveling off. As for Smash Bros.? I STILL think the 3DS version was a major mistake on Nintendo's part, if there had only been a Wii U version, then there would only be HYPE for the Wii U version, and all the time and resources could have gone to just the Wii U version, and nothing would have had to be cut because of silly 3DS limitations, etc. etc. etc. I DO think that SB Wii U will sell better than some expect, a few million over it's LT, but I think that the release of the 3DS version, especially BEFORE the Wii U version, will to some degree sabatoge the Wii U game's sales.

When you stop to consider that SB Wii U is THE major release of the holidays for Wii U, it just stands to reason that if the Wii U game were the only version to exist, the hype for it would be far bigger than it is. It doesn't help that the 3DS version has much the same content, and all the characters and many of the trophies, etc., will have been already been "spoiled" long before the Wii U version arrives. I am sure (HOPE) that the Wii U version is going to have plenty of it's own exclusive content, beyond just different stages, and I REALLY hope it has a sizeable and worthwhile Adventure Mode. But the fact cannot be argue that the 3DS version's existence, at least on SOME level, is going to be a detriment to the Wii U game.

Having said all that, yes, I do still think SB Wii U (god DAMN it needs a real title), will sell well, and will help give Wii U a sizeable boost. If Nintendo was smart, along with STEPPING UP THE GODDAMN ADVERTISING, they'd also have a bundle/combo deal, where people could get a Wii U with MK8 and SB still for $300. Make it limited time, whatever you want, but I think that kind of deal would intice many on the fence gamers to buy the system. 

[b I still think Wii U has a very solid chance to at least reach/surpass 8 million by the end of the year. It would be nice to be surprised and see it get an explosion and hit 9 million or more, but I would also be a bit surprised if it didn't at LEAST hit 8 mil. by the end of December.

Wii U to sell 8 million? Impossible... but not because "don't will break 8 million", but because 8 million are to low!

Have sold 7,300,000 now, so, is impossible that will sell only 700,000 on October+November+December.

Honestly, i think that will sell more than 700,000 only on November... (800,000 is my bet)

I think that Wii U will easy pass 10 million, 11 million will be a bold prediction.

oniyide said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
oniyide said:

but thats the thing. Maybe Ninty has giving up on that whole software sells hardware metality when it comes to WiiU. Maybe theyve accepted the fact that the WIi U is going to do GC numbers or worse and thats where the treatment of the system is stemmng from.

If you have a 3ds AND a Wii U then why would one buy the 3ds version ONLY? that really makes no sense and thats kind of the rub. Truth is you dont really have any gaurentee that that person who bought Smash for 3ds would have bought an entirely new system for another Smash game. If one was that big of a fan in the first place they would have already bought a Wii U in anticipation or will buy one when that version comes out regardless if there is a 3ds version, especially if the 3ds version is worse. And if you were never that big a fan in the first place then you wasnt buying a Wii U for that game anyway.

Thing is that's beyond the scope of the OP. From the POV of helping the Wii U it is suboptimal, and while it will increase the softwares overall sales and boost 3DS, it doesn't make sense from a big picture point of view because the Wii U is in greatest need of help and increasing the base before the console has peaked ensures the most sales of software in total. Assuming they still care to support it.

This lends cresedence to the idea that Nintendo has given up on the Wii U, or at the very least can't adequatly support these two platforms.

Well thats my point. If they have given up then it makes perfect sense to do this move. They could have easily put out the 3ds version later or even same date as WIi U(thats what i thought they were going to do) they didnt do those things so i think they gave up. They are going to support Wii U but i think they are done trying to sell it to people who arent interested in it.  IMHO even if there wasnt a 3ds version it still wouldnt have made much of a difference. Mario Kart is a much bigger franchise and it didnt boost it to great lengths and the system still dropped to 30k range after a few weeks. Not great. 

On a side note as a gamer i dont see why this bothers people so much. YOu are still getting your game on WIi U uncompromised. and people with a 3ds that dont want WIi U can enjoy or even check out the Smash series. As a huge fighting fan i love having these types of games on the go.

I personally don't want to believe that they aren't supporting the Wii U to the best of their ability. Sure more Smash gamers can get the game, hell Smash is my one of my all time favorite Nintendo franchises, but what about the Wii U gamers?

I eventually want to buy the system, but frankly this doesn't seem to me like the same company that made the Gamecube. Maybe the Wii success made them a little cocky, and well we all know what happens when you get cocky.

Edit: On a side note, Iwata refusing his bonus salary because of Wii U sales but then trading Wii U sales for Smash 4 sales suggest ignorance, recklessness, or both. Perhaps, he was beholden to the board, but that is honestly wishful thinking.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
oniyide said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
oniyide said:

I personally don't want to believe that they aren't supporting the Wii U to the best of their ability. Sure more Smash gamers can get the game, hell Smash is my one of my all time favorite Nintendo franchises, but what about the Wii U gamers?

I eventually want to buy the system, but frankly this doesn't seem to me like the same company that made the Gamecube. Maybe the Wii success made them a little cocky, and well we all know what happens when you get cocky.

Edit: On a side note, Iwata refusing his bonus salary because of Wii U sales but then trading Wii U sales for Smash 4 sales suggest ignorance, recklessness, or both. Perhaps, he was beholden to the board, but that is honestly wishful thinking.

It be like that sometimes. Maybe they see it isnt worth going all out for it. Or maybe they CANT do anymore. Dont know which is worse pick your poison. What about WIi U owners? Again you are still getting your game and Ninty will still make games for the system. So IMHO i dont see how it is a problem for current WIi U owners I see the system getting supported at least as long as GC. Look at Wii stopped being supported a while ago and that was their best system.

I also will get the system. The stuff they are putting is pretty good. That Pokken game looks great. Yeah Wii made them cocky it is what it is.

i think Iwata problem and Ninty as a whole is they are still operating like its the late 90s or Wii days. Its evident by how far behind they are with the other two on just about everything. They dont understand that they dont live in a bubble. Plus they seem to be more focused on Japan, thats ok for portables but that region seems to lose interest in consoles by the day. Sony or Ninty doesnt matter xbox is a non factor. Its dumb to try to make headway over there IMHO

justiceiro said:
SSBU a 1st party obscure title, ok.

Anyway, you can be ritgh about graphics, but the problem with the 3DS version of the game goes beyond that. First of all, there are some problems with local multiplayer that wiiu will fix easily, like the need to have 2 copies and 2 systems, some lag, the tiny screen. Surprisingly, the local experience is fundamental for casual players. Second, is the control scheme, that is ok for casuals, but not so much for serious players. The support of the GC controller will be a work around it too. Third, amiibo will problably help in this regard, if bundled.

But i'm curious about one thing: what is "much" for OP? more than PS4(what we all know, even nintendo themselves, is impossible)? as much as PS4? as much as X1? 70% of PS4? 50% of PS4? when you put "much" in your setence, there will always a way to say later: look, i was rigth, it's less than it could be, ha. give some parameter and then we can say if it bold or not.

I am a firm believer that WiiU won't be capable of passing the 10M mark this year. And that in fact is because of the 3ds version hurting the wiiU version by the reasons I mentioned on my OP. I'm not even taking consideration of the major improvements WiiUs version of the game offers, but if many fans will actually take that in consideration...And unlike many here paint it, SSB has a very competitive loyal fanbase, but that is roughly what? 100k people? I myself play Tekken games, but I wouldn't buy a expensive console just to play this game for example. Loyal hardcore competitive fans will certainly buy a WiiU just for that game, but the casual players won't really buy a new console if they own a 3ds.

@bold: also interesting how people seem to give up on the sales war so easily. Just a few months back people were full of joy that WiiU was ahead of XBO and now it doesn't matter anymore as long as Nintendo is making profit. But turns out that profit numbers are even more vague than actual data from the chartz.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
Around the Network
fluky-nintendy said:
justiceiro said:
SSBU a 1st party obscure title, ok.

Anyway, you can be ritgh about graphics, but the problem with the 3DS version of the game goes beyond that. First of all, there are some problems with local multiplayer that wiiu will fix easily, like the need to have 2 copies and 2 systems, some lag, the tiny screen. Surprisingly, the local experience is fundamental for casual players. Second, is the control scheme, that is ok for casuals, but not so much for serious players. The support of the GC controller will be a work around it too. Third, amiibo will problably help in this regard, if bundled.

But i'm curious about one thing: what is "much" for OP? more than PS4(what we all know, even nintendo themselves, is impossible)? as much as PS4? as much as X1? 70% of PS4? 50% of PS4? when you put "much" in your setence, there will always a way to say later: look, i was rigth, it's less than it could be, ha. give some parameter and then we can say if it bold or not.

I am a firm believer that WiiU won't be capable of passing the 10M mark this year. And that in fact is because of the 3ds version hurting the wiiU version by the reasons I mentioned on my OP. I'm not even taking consideration of the major improvements WiiUs version of the game offers, but if many fans will actually take that in consideration...And unlike many here paint it, SSB has a very competitive loyal fanbase, but that is roughly what? 100k people? I myself play Tekken games, but I wouldn't buy a expensive console just to play this game for example. Loyal hardcore competitive fans will certainly buy a WiiU just for that game, but the casual players won't really buy a new console if they own a 3ds.

@bold: also interesting how people seem to give up on the sales war so easily. Just a few months back people were full of joy that WiiU was ahead of XBO and now it doesn't matter anymore as long as Nintendo is making profit. But turns out that profit numbers are even more vague than actual data from the chartz.

@Bolder i was refering to the abismal sales prediction that nintendo put for Wiiu this year(2,6mil). Yes, i know that some people talked about wiiu seeling good till the end of the year, but i knew that in august was going to be back to what was. I don't said that that 3DS wouldn't hurt much, i just think that Wiiu can do something with WiiU, not MK level, but something. Maybe that you mean by much ? Less than MK8?

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko