By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Bold Prediction: SSB.U Won't do much for Wii U.

Tagged games:

In addition, its really not in the best position to push units, Nintendo wasted a lot of Smash's possible system selling potential on the 3DS. The majority of those who would double dip would be Nintendo fans who would also be likely to already have purchased a Wii U in anticipation of this very game. 3DS is also going to siphon a lot of holiday sales, and the new 3DS is really going to magnify the problem.

I'm still kind of stupefied as to why they made that decision, let alone the 3DS release.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

I think the WiiU version of Smash will have little problem to outsell the 3DS version.

Also, Mario Kart alone basically doubled the WiiU's baseline. I think that's more than anyone could ask for, and it would be pretty stupid if someone expected the game to take the system to 30m lifetime sales on it's own. It obviously needs companions like Smash to keep momentum going. It is a joint effort. Mario Kart will still be a system seller this holiday. It was the same with the 3DS, where the price-cut turned the tide and Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land after it boosted the system's sales.

last92 said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Meh, I've been saying this ever since the 3ds version was announced :/

Yup, same for me.

Nothing bold about this prediction. It will move some units in the first week and then fall a lot. It will surely sell better than tearaway tho.

Just like Mario Kart 8?

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Comparing SSB to Tearaway made me laugh out loud, but I agree it won't do as much as people seem to be expecting. Wii U will still keep on floppin', that's it's Destiny™.

If Nintendo made a bundle with the following:
32GB Wii U
Nintendo Land
Super Smash Bros Wii U
Nintendo GameCube adapter
Nintendo GameCube controller
Amiibo
Price: $339.99-$349.99
Followed by good advertisement.

The Wii U should have no problem this holiday season.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

Around the Network
Bman54 said:
I don't think the 3DS version will be the definitive Smash Bros. Graphics have nothing to do with it, it's the controls. Console Smash simply has better controls than the handheld version. The circle pad isn't ideal. Plus, multiplayer, which is obviously a big reason to get Smash Bros. The only way to play MP with friends is if everyone has a 3DS, and can be annoying to setup even if everyone does. It's also not the most fun way to play with your friends in one room. None of that's an issue for the console version, and will still make it a worthwhile purchase. As for if it will still sky rocket Wii U sales, I don't know, but I don't think the 3DS version will impact the Wii U version's sales all that much. I've even seen a lot of people skipping the 3DS version because they know the Wii U version is going to be the superior version and they'd rather just get that.

The problem with the 3DS version is that it doesn't make a lot of sense. 3DS doesn't need it. And its only harming the Wii U.

Controls barely matter to the casuals. Characters have a bigger influence and clearly with the new roster, that was Nintendo's focus. 

As for multiplayer, its even worse for various reasons.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Long term, yes SSB will have very little effect on Wii U's fortunes. It appeals to a large segment of the core Nintendo fanbase and we know that's no more than about 20 million people. In the short term it will help Wii U to get reasonable sales this holiday.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

We will never know how many consoles Smash sold because it coincides with the usual holiday boost. But that won't keep some people from celebrating it as the second coming.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Now, that's bold!

Here's a fact you miss, the 3DS version is not the same as the Wii U version.... If people are way too stupid to realize this then I have zero hope for the rest of this generation for any console.

...and the 3DS version has Wii U functionality in it this bold prediction may end up being more bold than true.