By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is 720P30FPS on XBONE confirmed by a Belgium team.

torok said:
method114 said:

It's not lazy devs it's MS being cheap. They choose to use slow ram and ESRAM combination. This makes it so devs have to work harder for what? So MS can save some money.  Well some devs are refusing to put in as much work as others and who can blame them really.

It's not just harder to work with, X1 is indeed substantially weaker. The GPU on PS4 has around 50% more power and the memory architecture is better. The GDDR5 on PS4 is as fast as the ESRAM on X1, the difference is that PS4 has 8GB of fast memory while X1 has only 32MB. Even if you put a lot of work on it you simply can't beat the hardware difference.

While this is true esram should still be better performance wise as it should have a way lower latency. But it really is way too small.

Around the Network

Ummm, is anyone that's saying "wow, I can't believe this!" even looking at the source? It's a youtube comment.

Uh oh. That's really bad news if it is true. Somehow, this resolution and FPS battle between the XOne and PS4 is getting worse.

MoHasanie said:
Yikes. Will there be 720p games on X1 throughout the gen?!

It makes me wonder if Microsoft will consider upgrading the hardware with larger eSRAM at some point for future games.  It would make profitability go backwards, of course, but Microsoft could handle that.  Still, it's not easy to change perceptions, so it might be too late for that.

They'll probably concentrate on developing and teaching work-around methods instead, though, which would make XO very akin to the PS3 in that it simply won't be optimized for every game due to time and difficulty constraints.

Are you fucking kidding me!? Isn't this cross gen?

Around the Network
method114 said:
todd2r said:
Lazy developers. After seeing things like Ryse and Forza Horizon 2, this should not happen.

It's not lazy devs it's MS being cheap. They choose to use slow ram and ESRAM combination. This makes it so devs have to work harder for what? So MS can save some money.  Well some devs are refusing to put in as much work as others and who can blame them really.

I'm sorry, but are you freaking serious? This has got to be the  most ridiculous comment ive read all week! So your logic is that, because MS made a system that's universally considered easier to work with than any last gen system, but just happens to bea bit more of  a challenge than its competitor, that somehow makes devs justified in "refusing" to put effort into making a game run respectably on it?

What are they? A charity? Is M$ their customer? Last i checked, neither of those is the case. The ones theyd be screwing over with that attitide are their actual custometrs -- y'know, the people who are actually BUYING the game. I think every dev has a responsibility  --no, OBLIGATION to release a game that performs acceptably well on whatever system they release it for. A dev that operates the way you're saying isnt deserving of my, pr anyone else's money, if you ask me.

todd2r said:
Lazy developers. After seeing things like Ryse and Forza Horizon 2, this should not happen.

Was Respawn lazy?  How about Blizzard, Bungie and Sledgehammer.  Also Konami said they are getting help now with PES on Xbox One.  Obviously they can't all be lazy. THere is indeed much work that Microsoft needs to do because it seems like everyone needs Microsoft's help.

pokoko said:

It makes me wonder if Microsoft will consider upgrading the hardware with larger eSRAM at some point for future games.  It would make profitability go backwards, of course, but Microsoft could handle that.  Still, it's not easy to change perceptions, so it might be too late for that.

They'll probably concentrate on developing and teaching work-around methods instead, though, which would make XO very akin to the PS3 in that it simply won't be optimized for every game due to time and difficulty constraints.

The problem is that MS can't just increase the amount of esRAM since it is embedded on the CPU/GPU die. If you want to go up from 32 mb to 64 mb of esRAM, you need to shrink the GPU. You'll end up compromising graphics performance if you do that, but at the same time, you don't want to compromise on the esRAM buffer.

OT: I have to say, I honesty did expect this to happen. Usually, the PS4 and X1 multiplats have the same resolution, but difference framerate or same framerate, but different resolution. However, we're seeing PS4 Shadow of Mordor having over twice the resolution and twice the framerate.

walsufnir said:

While this is true esram should still be better performance wise as it should have a way lower latency. But it really is way too small.

It is true... ESRAM have way better latency (it is on die at all) but latency don't beneficiates graphics processing... it can beneficiate post-processing AA for example but GPU tasks are not affected by high or low latency.

ESRAM performance is fine... the issue is the size... 32MB is really small but I undestand MS because more could be costed A LOT.

I will wait till df or wb says wat it is. Since I highly doubt it would be so much lower then ps4.