Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4's total software sales surpass those of Wii U

Cool! 326 73.26%

Not cool... 119 26.74%

Total:445

Total Sony domination, beep boop beep!

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network
QuintonMcLeod said:

Lets put out some information so people are not confused.

Multiplats are being made available on every system but the Wii U. So, this would be PS3, X360, PS4, Xbone AND the PC. That's 5 different platforms. So, if a game is available on 5 different platforms, why should any _one_ system claim to have sold more software than a machine that is not getting that software? 

Lets put it in another perspective. Would it be fair to say the PC has sold more multiplats than the PS4 or even the PS3? Would we even find the need to celebrate this? 

The PS4 has more multiplats than the Wii U. The fact that the PS4's total software sold is barely higher than the Wii U's is very telling. In reality, you're comparing the number of multiplats sold on the PS4 to Wii U's very own 1st party exclusives.

What does it matter that software is available for most platforms besides the Wii U?  Why should that be a reason to remove it from the total?  It seems ridiculous to call total software sales a "very warped way to view this", and then suggest we should only count exclusive software.  How is that not significantly more warped?

One system gets to claim those software sales because it sold that software.  Doesn't matter if it was on one platform or ten.  Which brings us back to my previous post.  You're saying we shouldn't count multiplats because they aren't appearing on a system, so we should only count exclusives because they aren't appearing on a system?

Yeah, I'd say it is fair to say PC has sold more multiplats and software in general.  We probably wouldn't celebrate it since it has probably never not been true.

In reality we are comparing the total software sold by the Wii U and PS4.  That's it.

You also completely ignore the fact that the Wii U has been out for twice as long.  Not only does this give it more time for exclusives, but it even helps in the multiplat area.  It has twice as many Call of Duty games as the PS4, twice as many Assassin's Creeds, same number of FIFA, Need for Speed, NBA 2k, Injustice, more Lego games, etc.  Surely it would be more fair to just compare multiplats that appeared on both systems.

And done all of that with no gamez...

And regarding the "but WD and Destiny front loaded mimimimi", PS4 have more million sellers than WiiU.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Ka-pi96 said:
Vena said:
chapset said:

The wiiU doesn't have any problem selling nintendo software

That's true but, still, when you look at the install base differences, that's a lot of software comparatively, especially when WiiU hasn't had front-loaded "comical disasters of financial success" like W_D and Destiny. ~3 Million more people with two titles accounting for ~5 million sales, in the recent present, compared to... MK8 at ~2.5 million.

Seems to indicate that everything is 'slowly' selling under the curtain for the WiiU, I wonder if this takes into account indie titles and downloads.

Wii U has been out for longer, therefore Wii U owners will have had more time to build up their game librarys.

Oh and it's VGC figures, so no it doesn't include downloads.

Exactly. Software sales catch up later than hardware, because the time the hardware is available counts. For those who know calculus, software sales are correlated with the integral of hardware sales.

QuintonMcLeod said:

But these are multiplats. Having the most multiplats sold over another console that is not getting multiplats is a very warped way to view this. How about we compare total exclusive software sold? I mean, wouldn't that make more sense?

I agree, since no one buys Multiplats, and they never mattered in all other gens... but nooooooooooooooooooo. WiiU is failing because of the lack of support of third parties, so let's ignore them just to paint a better picture for WiiU? Seems useless.

And on the sucess being possible without Multiplats... I would say the only HW that were sucessfull without them were Wii... NES, SNES had 3rd parties, PS, PS2, PS3/X360 had third parties and PS4 have them... the odd man out is Wii (and they had 3rd parties, just not much of the MP that were top notch on PS3/X360), and one of the reasons most disregard Wii besides they falling really hard from year 4 to 5 is that you just had Nintendo SW and that limits yours options a lot.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Yakuzaice said:
QuintonMcLeod said:

Lets put out some information so people are not confused.

Multiplats are being made available on every system but the Wii U. So, this would be PS3, X360, PS4, Xbone AND the PC. That's 5 different platforms. So, if a game is available on 5 different platforms, why should any _one_ system claim to have sold more software than a machine that is not getting that software? 

Lets put it in another perspective. Would it be fair to say the PC has sold more multiplats than the PS4 or even the PS3? Would we even find the need to celebrate this? 

The PS4 has more multiplats than the Wii U. The fact that the PS4's total software sold is barely higher than the Wii U's is very telling. In reality, you're comparing the number of multiplats sold on the PS4 to Wii U's very own 1st party exclusives.

What does it matter that software is available for most platforms besides the Wii U?  Why should that be a reason to remove it from the total?  It seems ridiculous to call total software sales a "very warped way to view this", and then suggest we should only count exclusive software.  How is that not significantly more warped?

One system gets to claim those software sales because it sold that software.  Doesn't matter if it was on one platform or ten.  Which brings us back to my previous post.  You're saying we shouldn't count multiplats because they aren't appearing on a system, so we should only count exclusives because they aren't appearing on a system?

Yeah, I'd say it is fair to say PC has sold more multiplats and software in general.  We probably wouldn't celebrate it since it has probably never not been true.

In reality we are comparing the total software sold by the Wii U and PS4.  That's it.

You also completely ignore the fact that the Wii U has been out for twice as long.  Not only does this give it more time for exclusives, but it even helps in the multiplat area.  It has twice as many Call of Duty games as the PS4, twice as many Assassin's Creeds, same number of FIFA, Need for Speed, NBA 2k, Injustice, more Lego games, etc.  Surely it would be more fair to just compare multiplats that appeared on both systems.

Couldn't agree more. There's no reason not to count everything. If PS4 has more AAA games (either exclusive or multiplatform), it's Sony's merit. They've built a great console. Not too expensive, not too weak, just right. The best price for quality ratio, no gimmicks, good network and a great set of exclusives. No wonder they're attracting sales and thus 3rd parties.

So why exactly do we think 3rd party sales should be ignored? This is just moving goal posts for no good reason.

We count all sales in calculating attach rates. Think about it from the consumer's point of view, when they hand over $60 for a 3rd party game, do you think they don't count that as buying a game?

Obviously, Wii U is getting less third party games, and of lesser quality. Also Nintendo dominates the sales anyway and competes with 3rd party software on their platforms. But that is not to be ignored... that IS the way Wii U is and why it's sales are dragging overall. Ignoring it all to try to make Wii U look like more of a sales success than it has been is kind of defeating the point.

My 8th gen collection

BTW digital gaming is much bugger in PS4 than Wii U. So VGC numbers are not accurate. PS4 might have surpassed Wii U software numbers long ago.

Way to go, Sony!

chapset said:
Vena said:
chapset said:

The wiiU doesn't have any problem selling nintendo software

That's true but, still, when you look at the install base differences, that's a lot of software comparatively, especially when WiiU hasn't had front-loaded "comical disasters of financial success" like W_D and Destiny. ~3 Million more people with two titles accounting for ~5 million sales, in the recent present, compared to... MK8 at ~2.5 million.

Seems to indicate that everything is 'slowly' selling under the curtain for the WiiU, I wonder if this takes into account indie titles and downloads.

Well the wii u had a whole full year of software sells and those numbers probably included heavy bundled games like nintendoland

This! its like people forget or want to forget. Its a smackdown no matter how one wants to spin it.