By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales: Tsutaya Game Ranking September 15-21

Mr Khan said:

Purple said:

Yokai Watch was a special situation where it was a new IP that was boosted remarkably by a very successful anime that launched later on. It also targets a younger audience, which is a market that is typically less likely to buy a game at launch.

It's very unlikely Bayonetta 2 will show any legs. The game is a known quantity targeting a mature audience on a small userbase.

If you don't look at sales threads regularly, I understand it must look a little weird that we're judging the performance of a game on just two days. However, the opening week of sales are a very strong indicator and represent a large proportion of lifetime sales. There are exceptions of course, but Bayo 2 won't be one of them.

Plus legs really aren't a thing for core games in Japan, so the doomsaying is, sadly, accurate.

The West was the better hope for this game anyway. Hell, TW101 did, proportionately, best in France.

W101 have sold 52,000 in Japan, versus the 11,000 in France...

Even in Europa the sales are less. (48K VS 52K)

But the +50% of sales are in Nord America with 120,000.

Around the Network

About 2x good of an opening as TW101 in Japan. And maybe that's all you can really ask for.

Meanwhile the game is still very hyped in NA and Europe. These ideas to make Bayo 2 multiplatform again, barely 1 week into Japan sales, are quixotic, boring, and frankly just stupid.

It'll be interesting to get some Japan HW numbers for the week and the week following. I'd be surprised if we don't see *some* kind of boost in that time period. Because FFV launches soon too.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Ka-pi96 said:

Titanfall wouldn't exist without Microsoft, yet they don't own the ip, Respawn do. What source do you have that says Nintendo actually bought the ip?

Nintendo owns the gamecode for Bayonetta 2 (Kamiya already explained this, and any porting will be Nintendo's call not SEGAs), not the IP. SEGA can release Bayonetta 3 all they want, wherever they want so long as they fund it themselves, but they cannot use the code of Bayonetta 2 to make a port without Nintendo's consent as Nintendo owns said code. If SEGA were to release a Bayonetta 2, it would have be rebuilt entirely and uniquely from the ground up without using any of the Bayonetta 2 (WiiU) code assets.

If SEGA tried to port the game from the current code, they'd get sued into oblivion because they don't own the game, they own the IP. They gave up all rights to the gamecode when Nintendo stepped in and picked up the cancelled project, and funded it. Nintendo isn't stupid enough to not take ownership of the code in such a deal, and we know they have ownership of it from Kamiya.

Frick. I hopebayonetta does much better in the US. For once in its life platinum games deserves a successful game. Although I'm super hyped for scalebound I doubt it'll sell well and it looks like Bayonetta won't either. DX

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

Vena said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Titanfall wouldn't exist without Microsoft, yet they don't own the ip, Respawn do. What source do you have that says Nintendo actually bought the ip?

Nintendo owns the gamecode for Bayonetta 2 (Kamiya already explained this, and any porting will be Nintendo's call not SEGAs), not the IP. SEGA can release Bayonetta 3 all they want, wherever they want so long as they fund it themselves, but they cannot use the code of Bayonetta 2 to make a port without Nintendo's consent as Nintendo owns said code. If SEGA were to release a Bayonetta 2, it would have be rebuilt entirely and uniquely from the ground up without using any of the Bayonetta 2 (WiiU) code assets.

So nobody can discard the possibility of Bayo2 on other platforms, right?

Around the Network
ryuzaki57 said:

It would have to be a completely different game, might as well call it Bayonetta 3 at that point. There's also a murky gray area as whether or not SEGA can 1:1 copy the game even if they did rebuild it from scratch. (And why would they even bother? The expense would be larger than if they had just funded the project themselves, and they'd have to redo all the work from zero anyway. Might as well make Bayonetta 3.)

If people would have bought the game on 360 and PS3, Bayonetta 2 would have come out on PS3/360. They didn't and Nintendo picked it up off the scrap heap. How many times does this have to be stated?

That said, did anyone really think the game would sell well in Japan? The first game wasn't a hit in Japan. Bayonetta 2's best chance at success has always been the West and that was always a dicey proposition. I'm just glad Nintendo picked the game up so I can buy it. Otherwise I never would have gotten the opportunity.

cycycychris said:
Bail said:
Mr Khan said:
Bail said:
These Bayo 2 numbers make me hope Platinum Games will do a PS360 and/or PS4One version.

Because we couldn't go a whole thread without somebody saying it.

I didn't mean to offense anyone.
I enjoyed the first Bayonetta, which was a fresh, unexpected, fun and awesome BTA but the numbers weren't that great on the PS360 install base.

It's sad to see the sequel of such a good game switch to WiiU and flop even worse, hence my first message.

Yes, how dare a Nintendo system get a good third party exclusive(ok, maybe a 2nd party).

its a third party.

yeah probably nintendo killed this franchise farewell bayonetta, although it was dead anyway. at least bayo 2 exists.

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

ryuzaki57 said:
Vena said:

I doubt SEGA would be assed to make a port of a game they did not believe was worth their time and money. Plus if they did ported it to the PS4/XONE it would be an atrocious port.

pokoko said:
Do We Need to Talk About This?

People with brains know that the Wii U is a flopping machine and PG makes flop games. Put two and two together and BAM. 

We don't need to talk about this.