By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales: Tsutaya Game Ranking September 15-21

Scisca said:
Wow. So at this point Nintendo fanboys can quit pretending that Nintendo audience is interested in anything more than childish cartoony games.

This game bombing harder than Bayo1 on X360 (!!) is telling. It's hard to believe, but it only shows the damage Nintendo caused to its audience with the Wii. I hope they still enjoy the money they made on it, cause now they reap what they sow. The strategy of releasing previous gen hardware and showing the middle finger to 3rd parties and core gamers had to come back to them. And the time of vengeance of the market is now.

We'll see what it does in the West, it can't get worse than this, but I wouldn't be holding my breath and expecting even only decent numbers.

In behalf of the Nintendo fanbase I declare this: "You Scisca... are right. We Nintendrones need to change our gaming habits. We are trying our best... please bear with us."

With love, the whole Nintendo community. <3

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network
Scisca said:
Wow. So at this point Nintendo fanboys can quit pretending that Nintendo audience is interested in anything more than childish cartoony games.

This game bombing harder than Bayo1 on X360 (!!) is telling. It's hard to believe, but it only shows the damage Nintendo caused to its audience with the Wii. I hope they still enjoy the money they made on it, cause now they reap what they sow. The strategy of releasing previous gen hardware and showing the middle finger to 3rd parties and core gamers had to come back to them. And the time of vengeance of the market is now.

We'll see what it does in the West, it can't get worse than this, but I wouldn't be holding my breath and expecting even only decent numbers.

Nice generalization, buddy. I bet you felt so great after making that post.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

HintHRO said:
Those are 1 day sales for Bayonetta 2. It released 20th september. So maybe 30k for the first day isn't that bad?

The reality is, 30k on the first day isn't bad. However, people want to prove the "mature titles don't sell on Nintendo systems" misnomer so badly, that they are willing to harm the little bit of reputation they do have over the possibility of Bayonetta 2 actually failing. When it doesn't fail, this will do nothing but expose the biasness they do have, and show off just how little of the industry they actually understand.

QuintonMcLeod said:

Here is my point:

1 day worth of sales isn't enough to determine the success or failure of a game.

So we're back to this again.

I understand where you're coming from.  We live in a world where nothing is certain.  Anything can happen.  Games can go on to become massive smash hits when no-one expects it; they can have unexpected second week sales; games can be pulled from the shelves and sell 0 copies by the third week.

And in that respect, sure, anything can happen.

But barring divine intervention, most of us here who visit these threads regularly use sales trends; past information and various other factors to extrapolate what sales are going to be for a game.  Yes, there's exceptions here and there like Youkai Watch which defy expectations and go on to sell bucket loads.  They're less than 1% of all the games you see.  The other > 99% of titles follow exactly the same sales curve that you'd expect based on their genre; console; marketing etc.

So what you're effectively telling everyone here is: "Hey, there's a 0.1% chance that Bayonetta 2 could be the game that bucks the trend, so you can't call it a bomb yet!"

If you want to have faith in that very small percentage, then go ahead.  But I have to ask: what is your faith based on? What factors do you foresee in Bayonetta 2's future that would make the game so different than everything else similar to it that it's going to defy sales curves and logic?  

Even Youkai Watch, your main point of argument at the moment, had an anime that we knew about when the game released.  No-one could've forseen what a massive success it would turn out to be, but at least it was a factor that could have done something to change its sales trajectory.

Based on everything we know about Bayonetta 2 - its genre; the fact it's full of fanservice; the fact it's a sequel - indicate that it's going to fit into the 99.9% bracket rather than the 0.1%.  The best comparison you can draw - Wonderful 101 (a Platinum Games developed title published by Nintendo exclusively for WiiU) - performed similarly.

To finish this off, I would genuinely like to know what it is that you think is going to change Bayonetta's fate in Japan.  It had a DVD release about 2 months ago, that sold about ~ 20k copies (iirc).  There's no anime planned.  There's very few similar titles planned for WiiU (Devil's Third and...?)  I'm genuinely struggling to think of anything that could remotely boost it by a few thousand; let alone the ~ 100k or so that would be needed to turn it into a success.

Anfebious said:

In behalf of the Nintendo fanbase I declare this: "You Scisca... are right. We Nintendrones need to change our gaming habits. We are trying our best... please bear with us."

Why is an argentinian in charge of the Nintendo community? Those dudes can only thing of having sex; clearly, a trait not present in Nintendo communities.

Around the Network

Gee I think I have cancer after this thread.

Wright said:
Anfebious said:

Why is an argentinian in charge of the Nintendo community? Those dudes can only thing of having sex; clearly, a trait not present in Nintendo communities.

Have you been in a cave? Argentinians think they rule the world.

Also, you clearly don't go to the Pokemon community. When I tell a girl (sexy voice on) "I have a 6 perfect IV Ditto" (sexy voice off) her panties fall off. 

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

QuintonMcLeod said:
Deeds said:
QuintonMcLeod said:
ktay95 said:
Wow, Quinton proving that his words aren't to be listened too. How does one use Youkai Watch's legs as a defence for Bayo2?? Shit I thought I said stupid things on here.

I see that went over your head.

The first 3 days of Youkai Watch being on the market didn't fortell to its further success. No one knew it would suddenly explode into the success it is today until much later. Saying the first 3 days is the highest a game will sell is pretty silly. The same happened with SM3DW. 

If this has all happened before, then why are you arguing with people who are clearly nutjobs? Take a deep breath, get off VGchartz for a while and go get some fresh air. The same people who are calling Bayo 2 a "flop" are the same ones who were calling the 3DS a flop in 2011.

I suppose you're right.

I'm just worried by all of this misinformation and lies. Many people are easily convinced of things that are simply not true - and even if Bayonetta 2 proves the naysayers wrong, they'll harp on another topic to spread more misinformation, and yet, more and more people will be convinced of this false information.

However, even knowing this perpetual cycle, I always feel like I have a chance to at least inform those who are not sure of the circumstances. Convincing one person is enough for me.

i'm with you

Scisca said:

This pretty much sum up my thoughts, nothing to add

Oh wow, so Bayonetta 2 bombed

Sad. 

Still a better game than Destiny ever will be