By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why The New 3DS Could Mean Old Problems for Nintendo - Article

mysteryman said:
Hmmmm, first we had:
Gameboy
Gameboy Pocket
Gameboy Light
Gameboy Colour

Then we had:
Gameboy Advance
Gameboy Advance SP
Gameboy Micro

And then last gen there was:
DS
DS Lite
DSi
DSi XL

Average Joe's seemed to be able to figure it all out beforehand, overall I don't see it any better or worse than before. Though I do agree that the naming conventions are getting out of hand.

Its one thing if you stick the new name portion at the end of the device. But to call it "NEW" 3DS causes confusion for those that don't know better. If you go to a Gamestop having never seen a 3DS before and ask for a 'New' one, what is to stop someone from selling you the original 3DS and you not knowing until it is too late?

"New" is by far the worst naming convention Nintendo has come up with since 'U' and I will be shocked and disapointed if this version of the 3DS is released outside of Japan with such a pathetic and confusion creating title. How hard is it to just stick an Advance or Pro or whatever on the end to make sure it is different enough from the original 3DS model that people won't get confused.

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
spurgeonryan said:
Nintendo should fire their naming department... Like seriously...

Wii... WiiU... 3ds... 2ds... New 3ds... Who the fuck comes up with these shitty names? And whats even worse is someone is getting paid to come up with those names... Like wtf

What would you name it?

3ds advance

I like it. 

NoirSon said:
mysteryman said:
Hmmmm, first we had:
Gameboy
Gameboy Pocket
Gameboy Light
Gameboy Colour

Then we had:
Gameboy Advance
Gameboy Advance SP
Gameboy Micro

And then last gen there was:
DS
DS Lite
DSi
DSi XL

Average Joe's seemed to be able to figure it all out beforehand, overall I don't see it any better or worse than before. Though I do agree that the naming conventions are getting out of hand.

Its one thing if you stick the new name portion at the end of the device. But to call it "NEW" 3DS causes confusion for those that don't know better. If you go to a Gamestop having never seen a 3DS before and ask for a 'New' one, what is to stop someone from selling you the original 3DS and you not knowing until it is too late?

"New" is by far the worst naming convention Nintendo has come up with since 'U' and I will be shocked and disapointed if this version of the 3DS is released outside of Japan with such a pathetic and confusion creating title. How hard is it to just stick an Advance or Pro or whatever on the end to make sure it is different enough from the original 3DS model that people won't get confused.

It's all much of a muchness really, all the naming conventions are pretty average.

As for your example, the gamestop worker should be explaining the difference between similar products when selling. I've seen emploeyees do the same for the Wii U (comparing it to the Wii) for a clueless customer, I don't see why they'd be leaving them in the dark here (plus there'd be more incentive to push the 'new' 3DS model). Additionally, customers do have rights, and should be able to organise a trade for the model they actually wanted if the situation did arise where they bought the wrong one.

Soundwave said:
"New" 3DS is basically just a riff on Apple's "New" iPad.

Just like what the hell did the "i" in DSi and DSi XL stand for? It's just aping Apple's product naming conventions.

Yeah it's a totally rip off Apple when "New" Super Mario Bros for the ds predates the Iphone.

Soundwave said:
"New" 3DS is basically just a riff on Apple's "New" iPad.

Just like what the hell did the "i" in DSi and DSi XL stand for? It's just aping Apple's product naming conventions.

You don't know? The i stands for eye, due to the camera.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:

Wii... WiiU... 3ds... 2ds... New 3ds... Who the fuck comes up with these shitty names? And whats even worse is someone is getting paid to come up with those names... Like wtf

What would you name it?

3DS Advanced, Super 3DS, 3DSi, etc....

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

spurgeonryan said:
spurgeonryan said:

What would you name it?

3ds advance

I actually like that.

No, 3DS 2nd gen!

AZWification said:
spurgeonryan said:

What would you name it?

3DS Advanced, Super 3DS, 3DSi, etc....

3DS X, 3DS Z, 3DS G.

Well , by March I'll have run out of Vita games, so it's a "new 3DS" for me!

Hopefully by then Nintendo will have copied the idea of the 3DS Advance

But I don't think it's a great idea to split the userbase, but on the other hand, it allows for bigger games and is too early for a fully new product

The thing about Ninty at this point is that they're stuck on being tied to an existing product line name.

And, it's not exactly easy for them to produce names for sequels for their new product lines.

I blame their marketing department.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3