By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Nintendo's "Family/Kids First" Console Formula Simply Doomed To Fail?

ikki5 said:
benao87 said:
Well, they aimed for the hardcorez with the WiiU and failed miserably, so I think they better stick with the kiddy audience.

Targetting the hardcore with a tablet is hardly targetting them

Probably I was too harsh with the last part, but that's precisely my point, they do not know how to target successfully the mainstream gamer. They do know how to deliver other kind of games. Their blue ocean-red ocean approach was brilliant, and that made the Wii a success, WiiU, ... not so much :/

OttoniBastos said:
benao87 said:
Well, they aimed for the hardcorez with the WiiU and failed miserably, so I think they better stick with the kiddy audience.

*pics from awesome games*

That 15-35 male demographic...

I'm afraid that I can't consider the WiiU a decent venture when it's the successor of the Wii.

And most of those games find a strong support with the loyal Nintendo base. They haven't been very good at finding new audience, nor retaining Wii base.

Around the Network
benao87 said:
ikki5 said:
benao87 said:

Targetting the hardcore with a tablet is hardly targetting them

Probably I was too harsh with the last part, but that's precisely my point, they do not know how to target successfully the mainstream gamer. They do know how to deliver other kind of games. Their blue ocean-red ocean approach was brilliant, and that made the Wii a success, WiiU, ... not so much :/

OttoniBastos said:
benao87 said:

*pics from awesome games*

I'm afraid that I can't consider the WiiU a decent venture when it's the successor of the Wii.

And most of those games find a strong support with the loyal Nintendo base. They haven't been very good at finding new audience, nor retaining Wii base.

Nintendo consoles will always have nintendo loyalists support(that's why they are called loyals).

The point is,Nintendo lost the casual crowd and they don't know how to appeal for the non-nintendo Core gamers(aka People that are buying the PS4,Xone,PC right now)

I'm actually happy that nintendo is developing Xenoblade,Bayonetta and Fatal Frame because,althought this games are niche,they have strong appeal for other core groups besides nintendo loyalists.

Family Friendly doesn't mean bad or doomed to fail, Nintendo's issues have been balancing the family friendly appeal with the current trend of games that sell the most.

This is of course hilariously ironic considering they played a key role previously in the development of the console FPS (Goldeneye 007) and the popularization of console multiplayer matches (Mario Kart, Goldeneye, Smash Bros, Mario Party and host of other games).

Part of it is Nintendo's most recent devices taking the "underpowered but unique" stance that got Nintendo success with the DS and Wii but failing to deliver on the main unique features in significant ways. Along with their slow adoption of new standards like HD capabilities, online gaming, competent digital stores and other features they have lost a lot of the faith that they won in previous generations even a significant chunk they got during the Wii and DS eras.

They can win it back, but it will take something big, exclusive and capable of making people say I MUST play this game regardless of console.

OttoniBastos said:
benao87 said:

And this really is the problem.  With the NES, SNES, and even N64, Nintendo had a decent balance of kiddie and adult games they pushed.  Even their kiddie games weren't as cutesy as the games you have above, and millions of adults enjoyed playing them, too.  Nintendo started sliding into the "kiddie console" after the N64.  They started getting cutesy with all of their characters.  Even the friggin' console looked liked a kid's lunchbox.  And while things didn't improve with the Wii, it didn't hurt them because gamers went nuts over motion controls that gen.  Now, we're at the Wii U, with no craze to make people buy it, and Nintendo is just throwing out games that look like that.  And when gamers wanted an adult Zelda game, like OoT and the E3 demo they showed, Nintendo gives us watercolor Zelda.  Nintendo fans will act like that is better, but that's not what they were saying when that E3 Zelda was shown, nor is that what will appeal to your average gamer.  They want a return to that kiddie, but definitely not cutesy, games that Nintendo used to make.

Personally, I hate what they did with Mario.  He went from a New York plumber of Italian descent, which in the cartoons was kind of a tough character (not overly so, though), to sounding like a stereotype of an Italian who runs around on all fours, while wearing a cat furry suit and yelling Woo hoo! or Weeee! the whole time.  Ugh.

I like this image of gaming better. It shows that you can still play with your family even when the console is not turned on, not plugged in, and the game is not in the slot.

Around the Network
jigokutamago said:

I like this image of gaming better. It shows that you can still play with your family even when the console is not turned on, not plugged in, and the game is not in the slot.

They're witches!!  Quick, kill them with FIRE!!

Nem said:
InnocentSin said:
Nem said:

So the SNES wasnt a sucess? The portables werent sucesses?

Portables aren`t consoles, dUDE! ;DDDD

They are, but doesnt seem it was included in the topic at hand, so its my bad.

in the last 2 decades  miss miss hit miss, better ?

How about going for the truth if you're going to invoke older systems? Its hit, hit, miss, miss, hit, miss.

This...

But lets go per console to elabrate further...

NES: HUGE WORLDWIDE HIT (And Savior of all Home Consoles)

Super NES: Another Worldwide Hit (Some even argue that some games on the SNES are better than their Modern Day counterparts).

N64: HIGHLY Debatable but I go more towards a HIT. Sure they lost lots of 3rd party games because of the cartrige issue, but created many GAMING INNOVATIONS still used today and became the standard (4 player ports, analog control sticks, rumbling controllers, Enemy targeting, multiplayer). Plus, responsible for the First Person Shooter console craze in Goldeneye 007, and has the highest rated game of all time in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Don't believe me? Link: http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/all and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time Look under reception part)

Gamecube: Miss (Mini-disc, lunch box look, kiddie Zelda title, I know)

Wii: Again Huge Hit... Changed gaming as well with Motion controls

Wii U: Miss so far, but it could end up like N64 if they play their cards right.

You can say they are 3 1/2 out of 6. But I see it as 4 out of 6. And we are not even counting handhelds (Leave out the most successful thing they are good at.. :-/)

Mnementh said:
BeElite said:
Nem said:

Look at the Wii. Its far from failing.

With that said, its a hit or miss thing. But Nintendo clearly wants to target the whole segment and not just kids.

miss miss miss hit miss

It seems more of a miss thing and one fluke.

How apply N64, Gamecube or WiiU to the Family/Kids first formula? With Goldeneye? With Rogue Squadron? With Metroid Prime? With COD or Assassins Creed?

They tried the Family-formula once, with the Wii.

I really don't understand why all Nintendo consoles fall into the "kiddie" stigma. Only console that was justifiable  for was the Gamecube maybe.

I have a Wii and I really dont have many "Kiddie" games for it. Are Fire Emblem:Radiant Dawn, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Goldeneye 007 (remake), Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Xenoblade: Cronicles, Metroid: Other M, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Sin and Punishment, and Resident Evil 4  (Wii Edition), REALLY considered "Kiddie" games? Because they were my favorite games on the Wii.

EDIT: There are still many games I didn't mention that aren't considered kiddie either (The Conduit, The Last Story).

Oh I forgot, most of those games are only rated Teen. They got to be rated "M" for them not to be kiddie and be cool. <_<

IMHO I think children go play Call of Duty because it's like a "Cool thing to play an M rated game" and they can play it together. It's a shame because they are really missing out on some quality stuff.

The reason why we see more kids (5 to 12 or so) playing more mature titles is because the industry has warped and the pushed the idea that being a kid is "lame" thus in order to be "cool" you have to play the more, adult/mainstream games. To them that's what growing up means. It's a that kind of mentality that slapped Nintendo with an image that they've never been able to shake off.

Now you may think such a statement like this would be absolutely absurd but it doesn't if you think about it. 

Nintendo for as long as I can remember have prevented such mentality from fully entrenching all consumers and the gaming industry. If they didn't, then the gaming industry could/would've turned into the comic book industry by now. I've been telling this to many people why such an idea wouldn't be good for long term. 

Instead of kids wanting to play fun, kid-friendly games, they want to play the latest call of duty because that's what all the adults and "cool" kids are playing.

All in all you need a fresh new wave of younger consumers to fill in the void. Once thoes kids grow up then they can move up to the more adult stuff. and the cycle continues.  It's a cycle that has been abandoned because a bunch of "manchildren" felt like "growin up." 

That maybe why Nintendo isn't attracting a lot of consumers nowadays because Mario is not "cool." We've taken something like (Comics and) Videogames and turned it into such a mainstream medium that, it has taken itself way too seriously. It has to be adult enough to be taken seriously or it will be branded as "kiddy." Videogames will be to the point that it's no longer something that kids can even relate to because they won't understand any of it. So they would be forced to grow up inorder to be a part of that crowd. 

I know I maybe going too deep into this but that's how I've been seeing it.

TheLegendaryWolf said:
BeElite said:

Yes but i don't even thinks that's really a strategy of theirs, they just don't know how to make games of other types. Its a competence issue, if they believed they could make a Halo or COD they would at least try.

Metroid outclasses both those games.

True dat. Although I do agree with the OP in that they should target the adults first (and by that I mean 18-25 y/o males with too much time on their hands) and branch out after that. Kids will want what they think adults have.