By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Nintendo's "Family/Kids First" Console Formula Simply Doomed To Fail?

Nem said:
BeElite said:
Nem said:

Look at the Wii. Its far from failing.

With that said, its a hit or miss thing. But Nintendo clearly wants to target the whole segment and not just kids.

miss miss miss hit miss

It seems more of a miss thing and one fluke.  

So the SNES wasnt a sucess? The portables werent sucesses?

in the last 2 decades  miss miss hit miss, better ?

Does the thread title say handhelds.  Is handhleds what every thread about anything must devlolve to with nintendo fans.  

Around the Network
benao87 said:
Well, they aimed for the hardcorez with the WiiU and failed miserably, so I think they better stick with the kiddy audience.

That 15-35 male demographic...

OttoniBastos said:
benao87 said:
Well, they aimed for the hardcorez with the WiiU and failed miserably, so I think they better stick with the kiddy audience.

That 15-35 male demographic...

Why you gotta do Pikmin dirty like that?

If Nintendo is everyone's second choice, that adds up to many systems sold.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

HBninjaX said:

honestly i don't care if I lost credibility in your eyes if you believe that COD and Halo are examples of good games.  Call of Duty went downhill fast after Modern Warfare 2.  Now it's a simple arena shooter from early 2000 with different skins/guns (heck now they're copying Titan Fall)  Halo may have been revolutionary on the original Xbox system but it's simply another "me too" shooter.  They're both crap games that are cashing in on ignorant "gamers"

Disclaimer: In your opinion

Around the Network
Nem said:

Portables aren`t consoles, dUDE! ;DDDD

Moonhero said:
If Nintendo is everyone's second choice, that adds up to many systems sold.

PC moible and even X1 are also a second choice, thats a lot of choices to make wiiu the second choice.

Nintendo actually makes a wide range of games. Not many third parties do these days. They do what the third parties aren't and flesh out the consoles library that way. Countless third parties make fps games so they would rather leave that to the third parties. Obviously the wii u has now lost third party support but during the time they still had it they got a good number of fps on the system including 2 cod games. Even when they do make a fps like metroid prime they promote the non fps elements and classify it as a first person adventure because they want to distinguish it from the crowd.

To my mind it is a shame Nintendo really didn't capitalise on the fact the wii had the best console control controller for fps during the period that fps seemed to dominate all. If more people played properly implemented fps on the wii a lot of the claims that the controller was just a gimmick would vanish because the wiimote nunchuck combo is the next best thing to the mouse keyboard combo and most people who scoff at the wiimote simply don't have a clue about this.

Nintendo has always been more of a family company.
Their games were never meant for this or that market, despite of how they look. Multiplayer has also been part of their DNA.
Before smartphones and tablets came, Nintendo was a very good, if not the best, way to families to play and have fun together.
It`s not that those new devices have become an alternative, it`s more that, seeing as they are basically single player devices, they have kinda broken that family frame. But the problema is, it seems that parents are more willing to buy them for their kids and let them be, than buy a console that only plays games - and for 50-60$ each.

Nintendo needs to find a solution for that, to bring everyone together while offering kids and parents what they want the most.
If they somehow can offer a console and a tablet of their own that can work together, they might do it.
Make an ecosystem where you offer individual and colective fun in ways that kids and parents are willing to go to.

From NES to GC, Nintendo did offer a good level of variety for all crowds, but that changed with the Wii and especially with the Wii U. And if Nintendo learned anything this gen, that will change after the Wii U.

I`m not so sure MS and Sony have a hold on the kids market like Nintendo does. MS tried going after that market with some games and what succeeded was actually a device: Kinect.

InnocentSin said:
Nem said:

Portables aren`t consoles, dUDE! ;DDDD

They are, but doesnt seem it was included in the topic at hand, so its my bad.

in the last 2 decades  miss miss hit miss, better ?

How about going for the truth if you're going to invoke older systems? Its hit, hit, miss, miss, hit, miss.