By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Nintendo's "Family/Kids First" Console Formula Simply Doomed To Fail?

Those 7 year olds with COD Xbox bundles have shitty parents. Anybody argues the fact I will ask do you think a seeing a parent take there 7 year old kid, to lets say, Zero Dark Thirty would make say the same thing I just said. If parents are buying themselves consoles then turn and don't get their children a Nintendo one they are teaching selfishness and are selfish.

Around the Network
DolPhanTendo said:
Those 7 year olds with COD Xbox bundles have shitty parents. Anybody argues the fact I will ask do you think a seeing a parent take there 7 year old kid, to lets say, Zero Dark Thirty would make say the same thing I just said. If parents are buying themselves consoles then turn and don't get their children a Nintendo one they are teaching selfishness and are selfish.

Hmm, trying to saying some parents are shit because of video games?

You sir are a genius and should tell every parent on how to do their job because it`s a FUCKING VIDEO GAME!

I don't know If I want to see Nintendo making games about dudes with a gun.
I very rarely watch action movies, and it seems to me most modern video games are created with the intention of making the player feel as the main character of an action film.

I have no interest in that, and I prefer it if Nintendo does different things from what the rest of the industry is doing.

jigokutamago said:

I like this image of gaming better. It shows that you can still play with your family even when the console is not turned on, not plugged in, and the game is not in the slot.

Gaming used to be so simple back then, eh?

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

BeElite said:

Yes but i don't even thinks that's really a strategy of theirs, they just don't know how to make games of other types. Its a competence issue, if they believed they could make a Halo or COD they would at least try.

You and I very rarely agree on things, but I'm backing you up on this one. If Nintendo could make "adult" games they would, but there's just no interest from their side. Miyamoto himself has said as much. He's said that that's not what Nintendo does, and that if he WANTED to, he could make a Halo - but he chooses not to.

So there you go. Nintendon't wanna.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

This is my idea for what Nintendo needs to do

As far as their older IP's go, go back to what they did in the 90's! Make Mario cartoons/movies, make a Metroid movie (I actually think that's their best chance of making a mainstream movie), make people more aware of Nintendo characters! Mario rivaled Mickey frickin' Mouse in the 90's in popularity! What happened??

They don't have to sell out, just look at how Disney is handling their properties - from Donald Duck to Marvel...

Create a second publishing company, that solely makes and publishes more adult oriented games - something aching to a "Western branch" of their company. They have Monolith for making JRPGs, but where's their WRPGs?

Doing this would ensure that they have all their bases covered; from family friendly games to more mature options. That's what they need now when they don't have any 3rd party support. And make the console with the Western market in mind! Japan is dead afa home consoles go. Shift your focus accordingly.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

archer9234 said:
QUAKECore89 said:
I enjoyed reading your post.

I remember Nintendo of America didn't want to see Night Trap on his console back in early 90s before ESRB coming.

Night trap wouldn't of worked on SNES or N64. It used video. None of Nintendo's consoles could of allowed that. Unless they planned on doing some sort of platform game type version.

It was example by the way. because Nintendo & Sony were planning to make SNES-CD or Play Station.

Red4ADevil said:

The reason why we see more kids (5 to 12 or so) playing more mature titles is because the industry has warped and the pushed the idea that being a kid is "lame" thus in order to be "cool" you have to play the more, adult/mainstream games. To them that's what growing up means. It's a that kind of mentality that slapped Nintendo with an image that they've never been able to shake off.

Now you may think such a statement like this would be absolutely absurd but it doesn't if you think about it. 

Nintendo for as long as I can remember have prevented such mentality from fully entrenching all consumers and the gaming industry. If they didn't, then the gaming industry could/would've turned into the comic book industry by now. I've been telling this to many people why such an idea wouldn't be good for long term. 

Instead of kids wanting to play fun, kid-friendly games, they want to play the latest call of duty because that's what all the adults and "cool" kids are playing.

All in all you need a fresh new wave of younger consumers to fill in the void. Once thoes kids grow up then they can move up to the more adult stuff. and the cycle continues.  It's a cycle that has been abandoned because a bunch of "manchildren" felt like "growin up." 

That maybe why Nintendo isn't attracting a lot of consumers nowadays because Mario is not "cool." We've taken something like (Comics and) Videogames and turned it into such a mainstream medium that, it has taken itself way too seriously. It has to be adult enough to be taken seriously or it will be branded as "kiddy." Videogames will be to the point that it's no longer something that kids can even relate to because they won't understand any of it. So they would be forced to grow up inorder to be a part of that crowd. 

I know I maybe going too deep into this but that's how I've been seeing it.

Kids did that without marketing really. They just wanted to do what older kids like. Regardless of what they see. That really can't be stopped. It's like kids watching South Park. They will watch it no matter what. You gravitate towards things you're not allowed to do. It's like a bug trap.

that is why where problem lies - we can't say parents to stop the kids from buying older games but they need to be regulated at home, it is more violent which is true.

nintendo needs to adapt.

sidmeiernintifan said:
I don't know If I want to see Nintendo making games about dudes with a gun.
I very rarely watch action movies, and it seems to me most modern video games are created with the intention of making the player feel as the main character of an action film.

I have no interest in that, and I prefer it if Nintendo does different things from what the rest of the industry is doing.

/thread. but seriously, this is what Nintendo gamers like and prefer that Nintendo do, but the point of this articles is that other gamers aren't interested in this. I don't think Nintendo should make games that are just like every other game, but the point is that it's popular. It's really hard to say what the best option is.