By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Putting Sales aside - Do you consider the 3DS a better handheld than the DS was?

Which have you enjoyed more?

3DS 193 66.32%

DS 68 23.37%

See results 29 9.97%

Total:290
Mnementh said:
I personally feel that the 3DS is the best console of all time, but let it check. No question, DS was a great console too.

DS vs. 3DS
Etrian Odyssey (EO2 and 3 didn't made it to europe) vs. EO4 + EO:Millenium Girl -> 3DS wins
Radiant Historia vs. nothing like that -> DS wins
nothing I'm aware of vs. SMT: Soul Hackers, SMT Devil Survivor -> 3DS wins
Zelda Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks vs. Zelda OoT3D and LBW -> 3DS wins
Another Code, Hotel Dusk and Last window vs. sadly nothing -> DS wins clearly
Pokemon BW 1+2 vs. Pokemon XY -> tie
nothing vs. Bravely Default -> 3DS wins
nothing alike vs. Kid Icarus Uprising -> 3DS wins clearly
nothing I' aware of vs. Fire Emblem Awakening -> 3DS wins clearly
999 vs. Virtues Last Reward -> tie
nothing comparable vs. Resident Evil Revelations -> 3DS wins clearly
nothing vs. Monster Hunter -> 3DS
nothing vs. Project X Zone -> 3DS
Locks Quest vs. nothing -> DS
nothing vs. Luigis Mansion -> 3DS
Lost Magic vs. nothing -> DS
nothing vs. Dillon's Rolling Western 1+2 -> 3DS
nothing vs. Denpa Men 1-3 -> 3DS
nothing vs. Pullblox/Fallblox -> 3DS
nothing vs. Sakura Samurai and Steamworld Dig -> 3DS
better battery life vs. Streetpass, DLC and Virtual Console -> 3DS

15 wins for 3DS, 4 wins for DS, 2 ties. 3DS beats DS by a big margin. And that doesn't even take into account, that I can play all DS-games on my 3DS. And 3DS still gets more games, MH4 and Codename STEAM are coming at least.

I probably forgot one thing or another. Still 3DS has such a good lead, this will not change anything.

Respectfully, your list displays your ignorance of the DS' library more than anything else. To give just two examples: Devil Survivor is a DS game which got ported to the 3DS, while Bravely Default is a sequel to 4 Heroes of Light (and was originally going to be called 4 Heroes of Light 2).

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
I personally feel that the 3DS is the best console of all time, but let it check. No question, DS was a great console too.

yadda yadda yadda, comparisons and stuff

15 wins for 3DS, 4 wins for DS, 2 ties. 3DS beats DS by a big margin. And that doesn't even take into account, that I can play all DS-games on my 3DS. And 3DS still gets more games, MH4 and Codename STEAM are coming at least.

I probably forgot one thing or another. Still 3DS has such a good lead, this will not change anything.

The rest is subjective, but I'm gonna say this one is debatable

artur-fernand said:
Mnementh said:

It is most certainly debatable. I object to the suggestion that the Virtual Console counts as only a part of one win for the 3DS. It gives 3DS owners access to dozens of great classic games, and should count as at least 10 wins on its own.

spurgeonryan said:
Wright said:

3DS is a beast of a machine, but I still prefer the original DS more.

Can you even list ten games from it that were great?

That' easy.

Nintendo 3DS:

10: Zero Escape: Virtues Last Reward

9. Pokémon X

8. Bravely Default

7. Super Mario 3D Land

6. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

5. Animal Crossing: New Leaf

4. SMT IV

3. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

2. Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

1. Fire Emblem: Awakening

Notables: New Super Mario Bros. 2, Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Resident Evil: Revelations, Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan, Gunman Clive, Super Street Fighter IV, Pushmo, Donkey Kong Returns.

the_dengle said:

It is most certainly debatable. I object to the suggestion that the Virtual Console counts as only a part of one win for the 3DS. It gives 3DS owners access to dozens of great classic games, and should count as at least 10 wins on its own.

Definitely a great feature, but not having SNES AND GBA to this day is a MAJOR flaw, imo. There are Game Gear games, though.

...yay?

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
Mnementh said:

DS vs. 3DS
Etrian Odyssey (EO2 and 3 didn't made it to europe) vs. EO4 + EO:Millenium Girl -> 3DS wins
Radiant Historia vs. nothing like that -> DS wins
nothing I'm aware of vs. SMT: Soul Hackers, SMT Devil Survivor -> 3DS wins
Zelda Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks vs. Zelda OoT3D and LBW -> 3DS wins
Another Code, Hotel Dusk and Last window vs. sadly nothing -> DS wins clearly
Pokemon BW 1+2 vs. Pokemon XY -> tie
nothing vs. Bravely Default -> 3DS wins
nothing alike vs. Kid Icarus Uprising -> 3DS wins clearly
nothing I' aware of vs. Fire Emblem Awakening -> 3DS wins clearly
999 vs. Virtues Last Reward -> tie
nothing comparable vs. Resident Evil Revelations -> 3DS wins clearly
nothing vs. Monster Hunter -> 3DS
nothing vs. Project X Zone -> 3DS
Locks Quest vs. nothing -> DS
nothing vs. Luigis Mansion -> 3DS
Lost Magic vs. nothing -> DS
nothing vs. Dillon's Rolling Western 1+2 -> 3DS
nothing vs. Denpa Men 1-3 -> 3DS
nothing vs. Pullblox/Fallblox -> 3DS
nothing vs. Sakura Samurai and Steamworld Dig -> 3DS

Respectfully, your list displays your ignorance of the DS' library more than anything else. To give just two examples: Devil Survivor is a DS game which got ported to the 3DS, while Bravely Default is a sequel to 4 Heroes of Light (and was originally going to be called 4 Heroes of Light 2).

That's possible and I do not denying it. I probably miss also the Fire Emblem entry on DS. I got more interested over the DS/Wii-gen in console-gaming (before I played only on PC) and therefore probably missed a lot on DS. Would like to get more, I just recently got Radiant Historia. Anyways, even with Devil Survivor on DS, we have still Soul Hackers on 3DS. And SMT IV, which I didn't listed because it didn't reached europe so far. Also Persona Q. So 3DS still wins in this area. I never heard about 4 Heroes of light, will look it up (added it on amazon to my wishlist). Assuming they are both of similar quality this ends in a tie. Still 3DS is in big lead. Actually I wrote that I probably miss something: "I probably forgot one thing or another. Still 3DS has such a good lead, this will not change anything."

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

3DS has a much better library of games!

1doesnotsimply

artur-fernand said:
Mnementh said:

Why? Streetpass probably is subjective if it is cool or not (3D too). Battery life is a clear thing for the DS, and I would like the 3DS had better battery life. Still DLC adds a lot of possibilities and wasn't possible on DS. You might consider DLC a bad thing, but I'm the opinion only bad DLC is a bad thing. And Virtual Console beats every other thing named here.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I3LuEI3omI3eR said:
spurgeonryan said:
Wright said:

3DS is a beast of a machine, but I still prefer the original DS more.

Can you even list ten games from it that were great?

That' easy.

Nintendo 3DS:

10: Zero Escape: Virtues Last Reward

9. Pokémon X

8. Bravely Default

7. Super Mario 3D Land

6. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

5. Animal Crossing: New Leaf

4. SMT IV

3. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

2. Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

1. Fire Emblem: Awakening

Notables: New Super Mario Bros. 2, Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Resident Evil: Revelations, Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan, Gunman Clive, Super Street Fighter IV, Pushmo, Donkey Kong Returns.

He meant the DS. 

artur-fernand said:
the_dengle said:

Definitely a great feature, but not having SNES AND GBA to this day is a MAJOR flaw, imo. There are Game Gear games, though.

...yay?

I'll take a major service with flaws over the lack of any such service at all.

It's not as though the ability to play Link's Awakening should count against the 3DS just because you can't also play A Link to the Past.